jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

How do you answer a question “yes” without saying “yes”?

1. FitnezzJim profile image82
    FitnezzJimposted 13 months ago

How do you answer a question “yes” without saying “yes”?

Several news sources are sharing reports about a phone scam where the caller is simply looking for you to answer “yes” to a question.  The scammers record the “yes” response, then use that recorded response as proof that you answered in the affirmative to authorize a charge or purchase over the phone.
    So how do you answer “yes” to a question over the phone in such a way that it cannot be offered as proof of your agreement to authorize a purchase?
    And note: Simply hanging up in response to an unknown caller is the recommended response.

2. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 13 months ago

The version of this I read is the callers ask "Can you hear me?"

The answer is "I can hear you."

Simply repeat the question as the answer. It pretty much works with any question:

Are you FitnezzJim? I am FitnezzJim.

Do you have a few moments to answer some questions? I have a few moments.

Or, you can do what I do: let every call go to voice mail. I never answer my phone, because anyone who knows me knows to email, PM or text me. I've literally never spoken to my two best friends on the phone, ever.

1. FitnezzJim profile image82
      FitnezzJimposted 13 months agoin reply to this

This is how my writing teachers taught me to answer essay questions.  Trouble is, I rarely talk in essays.  If we all start answering phone scammers with essay type negative responses, perhaps it will give them less time to scam others. Yes?

3. tsmog profile image81
    tsmogposted 13 months ago

I'm in the same boat as Lisa. I let most phone calls go to my answer machine. The ones I don't is when I have an agreement with someone.

However, if someone says to me "Can you hear me" most likely my response would be, "Who is this?". To me, it should be a common courtesy to begin a phone conversation stating who one is. If they don't I always stop them and ask. It is then I decide to continue or not.

4. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 13 months ago

Reply with "What?" "Who are you?" Profanity if in doubt also helps.