VENTING ABOUT BUDGETS

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (14 posts)
  1. lady luck profile image69
    lady luckposted 15 years ago

So my rent went up, Im now paying 750 a month for rent and utilities. I pay 50 bucks a month for a phone. 100 in medical. 60 for a train pass. 325 in student loans. I try to put an additional 150 towards debt, amongst other mandatory monthly expenses. I make crap cuz i work in publishing and my financial situation feels HOPELESS. Im also 65k in debt from college expenses and medical bills because I didnt have insurance until 2 years ago. My credit sucks.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?!

2. profile image0
    TellitlikeIseeitposted 15 years ago

Sorry to hear that,and now you have to deal with rising food prices and gas.
    Are we allowed to sue the government for unneeded stress?

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Rethink your approach.

You can try to spend less or earn more - or both. Whatever route you pick - success will not come overnight.

On the spending side - keep track of ALL your expenses and analyze them periodically - chances are you find some surprising numbers over there.

On the earning side - since you are writing on Hubpages, consider ghost writing or starting your very own Internet business. Just stay away from get-rich-quick things, they NEVER work.

That's pretty much all what I can say to almost a total stranger...

4. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

Good advice from Misha there: can you get a room mate or move to a cheaper flat? Can you get a 2nd job? I wrote a hub on the topic a little while ago http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-get-out- … save-money hope it gives you some ideas!

5. FinancePortal profile image61
    FinancePortalposted 15 years ago

There's not much you can do with the 'hard' debts like loan repayments and rent. Lots of other stuff is up for grabs though.

Can you cut down on the mobile phone usage? Maybe end the contract and get a pay-as-you-go plan? Do you need to use the train? Can you walk or cycle? How about the food bill - do you eat out lots? Can you make your own lunch and take it to work, rather than buying it each day? Buy cheaper by buying in bulk, cook larger meals, and freeze half of it to have another day.

How much of your spending do you track? Keep a 'debt diary' for a month - record everything on it, even down to 20cents for a paper. At the end of the month you'll have a full picture of your outgoings - compare that to the budget you drew up, and you'll be surprised how different they are. They always are, at first ;-)

But then you have a really accurate picture of where your money is going, and you can focus on areas where you can cut back. If you have debt on credit cards, use the snowball method to focus payments on one credit card debt, and when it's payed off, take all that spare cash and add it to the minimum payment on the next card.

As Misha says, if you're writing, then capitalise on that - you can bring in some extra income, and it might even open up another career choice for you.

Even when it looks hopeless, there's a lot you can do. There is no easy fix, though, and it does take a long time to clear everything down.

Good luck!

6. lady luck profile image69
    lady luckposted 15 years ago

Thanks everyone!!

7. ngureco profile image81
    ngurecoposted 15 years ago

1. Get another job that pay well.
    2. Look for something extra you can do like part time work
    3. Look for a partner whom you can share on house.
    4. Re-structure your loans so that you pay less amount for a longer period.

8. profile image0
    RUTHIE17posted 15 years ago

Lady Luck--FinancePortal gave you some very good advice.  Keeping a money journal is hard--been there and done that--but it is the best way to know where the money is going.

Hope everything turns around for you soon.  Keep plugging away!!

RUTHIE17  smile

9. Mark Bennett profile image60
    Mark Bennettposted 15 years ago

I want to live where Finance Portal lives - a newspaper for just 20 cents?

1. FinancePortal profile image61
      FinancePortalposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Where I am in the UK we've got several popular local weekly papers for 10p. Some of the free ones are pretty good, and mostly carry the same news.

Websites are best of all though ;-)

10. Mark Bennett profile image60

True - and usually totally free.

11. Isolde profile image61
    Isoldeposted 15 years ago

I liked Misha's suggestion about getting something else on the side that works with your publishing (and i'm assuming a little writing?) experience.  There are great part-time, telecommuting options for freelance writers on places like freelancewritinggigs.com or problogger.com.  Those are two sites I've had lots of success with and are great communities as well (very supportive).  You could try that as a way to bring a little extra during the month and work at home, aka not incur anymore travel costs?  Hope this helps - I am a freelancer myself, so please feel free to ping me if you have more questions!!!!  Good Luck!

12. First_home_buyer profile image53
    First_home_buyerposted 15 years ago

Unfortunately, with the central banks creating currency like crazy to bail out just about every fat cat on the planet, the value of money will continue to fall. It's not that prices are going up, it's that the value of the money is being diluted and going down. Look for much more of this to continue.

13. Mark Bennett profile image60

First Home Buyer,

I have to disagree with you here.

There are real reasons why fuel and food prices are going up in real terms.

If it was pure inflation, earnings would be going up at the same rate as prices. They are not.

We are approaching the fuel crisis that we all knew had to come.

Those who figure out how to live as much as possible self-sustainably without using too much fossil fuel will be the financial winners.

Those who carry on with unsustainable habits and complain that nobody is protecting their unsustainable lifestyles will crash horribly at some point.

Manipulation can only fend that off for a little while.

The truth is that all our energy comes from the sun. When we burn wood, we are releasing the sun's energy trapped by photosynthesis. Fossil fuels - coal and oil - come from wood that is millions of years old.

We are using sunlight which hit this planet over millions of years to boost up our ability to consume stuff - and we are using it faster and faster. It won't last indefinitely.

Eventually, we will use all the "savings" of sun energy from the past, and then we will have to live on one year's worth of sunshine per year after that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)