Billie Kelpin profile image 90

Do minorities have a better understanding of what "owing to the man" means than others?

I've noticed recently that older individuals, people of color, and groups that have been oppressed seem to understand the concept and dangers of "owing to the man" while a majority of people in the US seem to be accepting less and less in terms of labor issues. They defend practices of inequity. For example, some young people I know recently defended the practice of sound engineers with engineering degrees starting as runners at minimum wage in an industry that is abudantly wealthly. Young people defend all kinds of behaviors that seem unjust and may be causing society to side backwards.

rjbatty profile image82

Best Answer rjbatty says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

THANK YOU, RJ, for understanding what I meant. I'm going to remove this question tomorrow. There are people as you say, "enduring all sorts of humiliation just to reach the age of retirement," and few understand that as "owing to the man".

Lizam1 profile image82

Lizam1 says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

Lizam1. Thank you so much for your comments! To clarify: By adding older individuals to my list, I didn't mean that older people feel oppressed. I just wonder if, having fought for rights we take for granted, they understand the phrase more deeply.

GlendaGoodWitch profile image87

GlendaGoodWitch says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

Glenda. Thank you for your response! "Older people, people of color, and those who are oppressed," are 3 distinct groups of people. I have worked for 30+ yrs, always starting at the bottom, loving the climb. What I see is something different.

crazymom3 profile image81

crazymom3 says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

Obviously, I shouldn't have listed "minority" because people are misunderstanding my meaning. I should have said, do the MAJORITY of people have a hazy view of what "owing to the man" means? I agree with Totally that injustice is injustice.

Emanate Presence profile image84

Gary R. Smith (Emanate Presence) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

"Em," thank you soo much! I think I'm going to remove this question because my wording doesn't get to what I wanted. I've gone to workshops on the topic of "White Privilege"; it disturbs me that even my own children don't "get" power structure.

Arghness profile image91

Edward (Arghness) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

Exactly right! The Stockholm Syndrome kicks in and we often identify with those who have power over us. I like your statement that rising to CEO level should create even-handedness; however, a recent study shows that once in power, empathy lessens.

Saire Schwartz says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

Saire, just went to your short story and really enjoyed it! I agree, we all "owe to the man." (I just like to know who I'm owing to and why -tee hee) so I can better determine whether or not I want to be complicit in the process.