jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

Hillary skipping DNC...

1. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 5 years ago

for the first time since 1968. It could very well be that's she's too busy doing her job - I read that she's traveled around the globe more than any SOS ever has. Still, I think it's a smart move on her part to stay above the political fray. I think appearing less partisan elevates her standing in the world's eyes. I wish the POTUS and Congress worked HALF as hard as this woman!

2. Reality Bytes profile image91
    Reality Bytesposted 5 years ago

Very smart, I would not be surprised if she resigns in the event of an Obama victory.  I do not think she will want to be in a position in 2016 to have to defend the actions of Barack.

1. habee profile image90
      habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I thought she'd already decided to resign? She def needs and DESERVES a break, IMO!

2. 50 Caliber profile image60
      50 Caliberposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree totally here, I'm betting in 2016 she'll be on the Democratic ticket for president in the primaries. I think she could have taken the presidency had she ran this time as well, but she would have to defend the policies of the last 3.5 years and I think she's smarter than getting in that traffic wreck.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image81
        Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Why anyone who will be 65 would want to be president is beyond me. It ages people as it is.

The Republicans would not have worked with her either and would have picked up where they left off with going after Bill.

1. Charles James profile image81
          Charles Jamesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Mitt is 65.

Still stands smile

3. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

It's okay... Bill will be there...

4. brakel2 profile image85
    brakel2posted 5 years ago via iphone

I read she's not allowed to be there. Maybe Cabinet members are to stay away. Sounds weird to me.

1. Xenonlit profile image61
      Xenonlitposted 5 years ago in reply to this

After her big show in 2008, she needs to stay away. No Secretary of State should go to a political convention. It does not help their working relationships with other nations who are looking for diplomacy instead of political leanings.

5. 50 Caliber profile image60
    50 Caliberposted 5 years ago

Any one 65 who has the cash to buy the job, confuses me as to why they would rather destroy their sanity and peace for a job like that, when they could be any peaceful place on this earth enjoying their years that they choose and give the money they would spend buying a job to the hungry, homeless children of this country and the world. Mitt is 65 and if he survives 8 years at 73 his mind will be toast, I can't imagine the answer to that question of why?
    I was a quitter when I got enough to quit and though I work most days at something it's for enjoyment not money or power.

6. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

In fairness to the man (and anyone else his age who runs for anything) (and I have a friend who teases me that I'm "too fair" much of the time)...

I can see how someone who thinks he can do the job that he thinks needs to be, and who thinks he can get elected and be the person who can do it; would run.   Not being all that much younger than he is, I've discovered that you get to be,say, over 55 (or whatever) and find you have as much energy and interest in "making a difference" as you did when you were 25.  There's a whole lot more freedom when people are old enough to have grown kids and not have to be worried about quite so much of the upheaval in children's lives (when children are brought into the whole lifestyle mix). Also, I've seen (as a whole lot of other people I know have seen) that we learn a whole lot, and have so much more to add to our perspective from those years between the 40's and 60 or so.

I'm not particularly a fan of the man, but he obviously doesn't need the money; and I don't find it hard to believe that he's more interested in doing what he things is making a contribution than in power.  Not everyone is comfortable with the idea of having power.  I don't doubt he's more comfortable with it than a lot of people are.  But, knowing that I, personally, am nowhere near done with trying to accomplish some of the things I'd like to accomplish (and maybe "make a difference" in the world); I can see why some people (especially those who have already accomplished a lot of the other stuff they wanted to) might think it's a good thing to devote one's late 60's/early 70's to.   

I think Hillary stands a good chance if she runs next time.

Well, I am almost 56 and I wish I could retire at 65. I don't imagine it happening out of necessity though.

working