WHY DID ANTI-SCIENCE POLITICS DEVELOP IN THE UNITED STATES?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (59 posts)
  1. profile image0
    mbuggiehposted 10 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8334289_f520.jpg
    An article published by PoliticusUSA on 14 August 2013 noted:

"It is mindboggling there are so many Americans opposed to science and steeped in myth and superstition in the 21st century. Most Americans embrace science and appreciate scientists’ work that society is reliant on despite conservative claims it is a liberal plot to frighten and control the people. Part of the problem is a 40-year conservative campaign to demean science as a corrupt institution existing by virtue of liberal deceit, and it helps drives their objection to climate science because 'if the left is responsible for science, it’s responsible for climate science which is another attempt to expand government power.'"

How has this been possible? How has it been possible to convince otherwise intelligent people that science is bunk; that science is the pawn of big government liberals; that science itself is the problem to be solved?

Is the problem one of politics or of fundamental scientific literacy?

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image92
      Dr Billy Kiddposted 10 years agoin reply to this

In some countries, a majority of voters go by "instinct" and gut feeling when they vote. The anti-education, anti-science approach that some demagogues take appeals to them. It makes one feel important voicing an opinion, despite the fact one knows next to nothing about the subject. The hate vote is the same way--it makes you feel important exercising your hatred.

This is a universal phenomenon--all countries, all political parties have used it at one time or the other. It simplifies things. Makes it easy to vote for war or to kill your neighbor, like in Rwanda or Syria. President Bush used it to justify invading Iraq to get the oil. (Do you remember Americans saying, "It's our oil." Talk about a wild one that moves beyond anti-science and anti-factuality and toward nihilism.)

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
        Ralph Deedsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Propaganda, political contributions and "research" funded by business and fundamentalist religious organizations also play a role in anti-science attitudes and politics--e.g.,big oil, big coal, big electric power and evangelical Christians preaching creationism and myths about alleged ill-effects of vaccinations.

2. profile image0
        mbuggiehposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How exactly did either President Bush (as you do not specify which President Bush) use an anti-science message to justify the Iraq War? And when exactly did either claim that Iraqi oil was the possession of the US?

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image92
          Dr Billy Kiddposted 10 years agoin reply to this

People saying it is "our oil" were shown on TV.
          George W Bush said, "I did not talk to my father, I talked to God about making the decision to go to war."

1. profile image0

People? Just generic people? People talking on TV do make policy.

And as for President George W. Bush noting that he prayed prior to making a decision to commit to a war: Read some US presidential history. ALL American president claim to pray to God before engaging in combat. Presently, President Obama is making the same claims.

2. Silverspeeder profile image60
      Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Some science is without doubt fact and some is about getting more funding to project ideas about belief in their own theories.
      Governments love science as it advocates taxation and spending.

1. profile image0

So, the anti-science worldview---one which includes the claim that governments "love" science so they can tax and spend, is little more than one more knee-jerk reaction to a larger anti-government minset; an anti- government mindset that equates ( in this specific case) science (and associated research) with needless taxing and spending?

1. Silverspeeder profile image60

Who funds climate change research by scientists? And the who taxes the people based on the findings?
          It's a circle of research and taxation.
          How did they come to the conclusion that carbon tax would reduce carbon emissions!
          I don't believe governments are anti science I do believe however they are anti reality.

"How did they come to the conclusion that carbon tax would reduce carbon emissions!"

This concept originated from traditional economics and has been supported by conservative think tanks and by many Republicans.

Left wingers love it too Ralph......

That's true. But it's been blocked by the Koch suckers, coal fired power plants, Big Oil and Big Coal and other malefactors of evil in the world.

Yes the USA, Russia and China resist it the most. Maybe they know it increases unemployment, poverty and profits. The great EU dictatorship will have non of the counter arguments, we will do exactly what we are told or be gassed (with co2 apparently).

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
            Uninvited Writerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Who funds the climate change deniers?

1. profile image0

What if the growing anti-science mentality of Americans is NOT a function of money or politics or political spending.

What if it is a function of something else---something much more problematic?

Such as? Fundamentalist religious fanaticism?

1. profile image0

Sounds good to me...wink

And a growing anti-intellectualism that permeates our culture; a growing anti-anything that requires thought.

There is two sides to the argument, if there wasn't the government would be able to tax you on the air that you breath.

I do believe that humans are polluting the earth but I don't believe taxation is the answer. Governments see it as another form of income stream and very little goes back into stopping or slowing climate change.

3. PDXBuys profile image80
      PDXBuysposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The issues is not so cleanly divided between liberals and conservatives.  Are we talking about religion (debating evolution) or climate change or abortion or something else.  These are complex issues and not everyone can be pigeon holed into Group A or Group B.  When I attended a Catholic high school I was taught genetics by man who was a Christian Brother.  His Catholic religion taught creationism yet he taught his students genetics, the principles of evolution, and the scientific method.  How did he reconcile those two "world views" in his heart and mind?  I do not know.  But he sure knew a lot about genetics!

My understanding is that Catholicism and many protestant religions teach that God created the earth and evolution is how this was accomplished. I'm not Catholic, but my understanding that Catholicism does teach that there is a conflict between creation and evolution. ( Please correct me if I'm wrong on this. I know this is true of the Christian faith in which I was brought up. )

Correction: Catholicism does NOT teach that there is a conflict between evolution and God's creation of the world.

2. profile image0

I was educated by Catholic priests from elementary school through college. Never once did I hear anything that suggested any conflict between Creation and evolution. In fact, we were taught by the priests that the creation story of the Bible was, essentially, a myth.

In fact, several popes have reiterated that creation and evolution are, in fact, compatible.

Remember, it was a Catholic priest who discovered the Big Bang and the Vatican observatory that has made significant discoveries which have proved it.

We're in agreement on that.  (Note my correction of a typo above.)

4. rhamson profile image72
      rhamsonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is because the political elites promote anti-science for its' economic feasibility.

???

1. profile image0

Exactly...???

2. rhamson profile image72

I thought maybe it was a clear interpretation but after reading it a few times I can see some murkiness in it.

The scientific studies and theories of global warming is what I am referring to as any conclusion that may be drawn as it is not one favorable towards the oil and coal industries. Therefore much doubt is thrown at the conclusions so as to keep the mines mining and the oil wells spigot open.

On a different note the theory of evolutionary science is at great odds with the fundamentalists view of the bible and the origin of man. Of course this has been going on since Darwin's time.

Western governments love the idea of climate change because they can place a tax upon it, companies are not really bothered about it and the tax doesn't really affect them as they pass the cost onto the customers.
            The UK government spends a fraction of what it collects in carbon taxation on reducing carbon pollution.

1. profile image0

And you really think that this is the definitive statement about climate change. That is, that climate change is the great fraud of tax revenue seeking western governments?

If this is true,  then explain why non-western governments, including China and India, are making efforts to curtail emissions and deal with global climate change?

Because most of their markets are in the west. Western governments are pressurising China and India to clean up its act, this will lead to higher prices and more taxation, so western governments are in a win win situation.
                If any government was serious about climate change it would be seeking to limit human population.

1. profile image0

Whatever.

I know the drill: Anything and everything about the west is evil and and everything about the non-west is laudable. The west is the great hegemon; the non-west its victim. The west is the Great Satan; the non-west the global redeemer.

Is it? Is that what you think I was saying?

What I have said and continue to say is that the climate of the earth is changing, as it has on many occasions and that human pollution is increasing the speed of climate change, however I state that no government is doing anything concrete about reducing climate change, you can see that in their actions.
                    If the reason for climate change is because of humans shouldn't governments have policies on population limits, taking away private privileges (like owning a motor vehicle), closing businesses that pollute or at the very least banning their products?

But the only thing they can come up with is taxation, that is why they don't close companies that pollute, or stop us from driving etc etc because they couldn't tax it when its been taken away.

2. rhamson profile image72

You got to love that good old American ingenuity! Never let a good crisis go to waste.

2. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 10 years ago

I don't think there is a growing anti-science mentality.
    There is a growing anti-false-and-unproven-theory mentality, yes indeed.   Most conservatives know the difference between fact and theory, as well as fact-based theory and wild-imagination theory that has no basis at all.
    We also know how politics plays into the psuedo-science mentality.

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Stick to your Biblical myths and cute stories, it's obvious that you, and 90% of conservatives don't know squat about science or theories.

2. aliasis profile image73
      aliasisposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'd say most conservatives DON'T know the difference between "scientific theory" and "fact" - in science, a theory IS almost fact. Evolution is a fact, we've witnessed it, that's why you get flu shots every year. Climate change is a fact, we know the ice caps are melting. Theory means, in science, that research has repeatedly and consistently come up with the same conclusion (e.g. evolution), it's a hypothesis supported by substantial research that isn't disproven. In my experience, conservatives tend to think that theory is a "guess" or something, which is absolutely wrong, and they tend to reject science that doesn't fit their agendas (again, global warming and evolution are two prime examples).

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
        A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1 Well said!

2. Zelkiiro profile image88
        Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Here's my best Brenda impression:

"LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU THEORIES ARE JUST GUESSES YOU'RE WRONG WHY ARE THERE STILL MONKEYS LA LA LA"

1. profile image0

Might it be possible to show some basic courtesy and respect for difference of opinion, and perhaps, conduct ourselves as adults engaged in polite conversation?

3. Silverspeeder profile image60
        1. aliasis profile image73
          aliasisposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Lol why are you giving me a news article from 2002? And you might want to fact check that.

http://environment.nationalgeographic.c … /big-thaw/

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/a … ate-change 2013, from a reputable source. Science. The earth is warming.

Apparently there has been more ice at the poles this year than any other since 1970 maybe that's a second glitch then.

Governments finance climate change science, what major changes have governments done to stop climate change?
            All they have really done is tax anything that the scientists say causes climate change. What do they do with the tax? Nothing.

2. Zelkiiro profile image88
              Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Love it.

One scientist debunking another because they don't think the same.
                My concern is not with climate change, my concern is that scientists work for the government and neither have the faintest idea what to do except tax everything the scientists say is causing global warming.
                Now lets look at what's really causing the climate change. Without doubt its humans, so how many of us would you be prepared to cull to save the earth?

It seems the UN is reluctant to publish its report as it may not show what governments want it to show so they can increase taxation based on it.
                According to leaks reported governments with the most to lose like the UK are debating the fact that figures may give climate change debunkers fuel for their argument.
                I doubt if it will make any difference though as governments will press ahead with taxation based on climate change as it has become one of the main income streams for them.

3. profile image0
    thewritingowlposted 10 years ago

That's the thing for sure Silverspeeder. It is becoming obvious that the earth is overpopulated and the planet won't be able to sustain us all for too much longer but who can really top over population? Most people still want a family and a normal life. So how can anyone ever persuade everyone in the world to go along with a rescue plan? It seems an impossible task when countries rarely agree over anything as it is. There's the problem.

Over population is an issue. However, even the current level of population is producing and emitting sufficient greenhouse gas to make global warming a serious concern. The science is pretty clear. The task is a worldwide political and educational one of convincing nations to take action before it's too late.

1. profile image0
        thewritingowlposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Easier said than done though. Its a mammoth undertaking to get all the different nations of the world to even acknowledge the scientific facts about global warming, never mind getting them all to agree to do something about it, unfortunately.

True.

But the science isn't clear Ralph, even climate scientist will agree that climate change science is not an exact science and are offering all sorts of explanations for the lack of increase in temperature.
        There is no doubt climate change has happened since the dawn of time, there is no exact science to it. However you may think that I am denying that humans are polluting the earth, I am not, it is without doubt they are.
        Governments take £billions in taxation from what climate scientists have put forward as their theory, those same governments fund the climate scientists.
        Without doubt governments have no answers to the problem except taxation, however taxation has not reduced carbon emissions, in actual fact carbon emissions have increased, based on the fact that carbon emissions increase with population why aren't governments trying to control population?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)