jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (14 posts)

Black People Need Better Representation

1. ikepius profile image73
    ikepiusposted 4 years ago

I mean on the internet. Including here on HubPages.

I was browsing the web the other day, looking for interactive websites run by Black People. There is a serious shortage! Majority of what I found were websites where they spoke a form of English I just could not comprehend. Plus they were throwing the N word around!

If  anyone on here has any suggestions let me know. Thanks!

1. Silverspeeder profile image60
      Silverspeederposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It seems you have a perfect opportunity to start one and maybe make a little money in the process.

1. ikepius profile image73
        ikepiusposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If you check my hubs you will find that non of my hubs have advertp turned on. That explains it.

2. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Which websites were you browsing?

3. Reality Bytes profile image91
      Reality Bytesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

How do you differentiate between "black" and "non-black" people?  Is there a swatch available?  What shade does an individuals skin need to be to be considered "black"?

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 4 years ago

Far better, I would think, to find sites not filled with people looking only for more of their own race.  Sites where race is not an objective, where race doesn't play a part in what is said, who is there or who owns the site. 

This country has enough problems with racism; to deteriorate into groups where race is the primary determining factor will not alleviate that problem.

1. getitrite profile image79
      getitriteposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It seems that the OP is actually manufacturing a problem just to have more irrelevant issues to complain about.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sadly, I would have to agree.

2. ikepius profile image73
        ikepiusposted 4 years ago in reply to this

'Manufacturing a problem.' I wish it were so. I understand your apathy. Thanks for commenting.

1. getitrite profile image79
          getitriteposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes you ARE manufacturing a problem.  You have nothing here.  How sad.

2. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If you are running around the web, searching for any and all sites run by someone classifying themselves "black" or looking specifically for "black" people to join their site then yes, you are a part of the racism problem in this country.

3. ikepius profile image73
    ikepiusposted 4 years ago

Apparently if you are not a political/ethnic majority, HubPages is not the place to air your views.

I shall close this thread as soon as I know how. Thank you all for your time.

1. Seth Winter profile image80
      Seth Winterposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm white. I'm white enough that I sometimes glow in the dark and when climbing mountains at night have been known to cause planes to crash.  That being said, what would happen if I started a post talking about how we need to have better representation of website's for white people online? You'd think KKK or Neo-Nazi. The other commentors are right your adding to the problem.

Let me ask you something ekepius why do you need better representation on the web? What's the important word that you need to get out to the public?

If you want better representation don't complain about it. Start writing. Produce quality article, and don't complain about Hugpages not being a place for ethnic minorities because we have ethnic minority writers producing some quality articles on this site.

And it's been two days since you posted about closing this thread...guess your just attention seeking?

1. Don W profile image82
        Don Wposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree, being pro-active in finding a solution to an issue is probably more useful than just highlighting it. Not sure why you would be asking for greater representation of white people online though as I think there is already a diverse representation of white people, considering the fact that the majority of people in the world are black and Asian. In fact I'd suggest there is a disproportionate representation of white people on the internet in comparison.

Here's a crude test: Look at this image search for Human Being as an example.

A search on person yields slightly more diverse results, but not by much given the fact that around 60% of the worlds population is asian.

Maybe localised searches would be different: Here is the search for human being from Google Japan, and here is the image search result for person from Google India. If you were Indian you 'd be hard pressed to find an image representing what you look like in those results.

working