jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (6 posts)

1. gmwilliams profile image82
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8561632.png
    What do YOU believe that the year 2014 will bring to the American economy and the American sociocultural sphere?  Do YOU believe that America will proceed on its road to socioeconomic recovery in 2014?   Let's discuss.

1. Credence2 profile image87
      Credence2posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Grace, I believe that the trend is in favor of an improving economic picture in the next year. The GOP is recognizing that intransigence has its limits and they will govern based on compromise or there will be continued gridlock for which they will be blamed. There is a new economic reality in these times that will hang over us all henceforth, so the improvement is relative in the face of all of this.

gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Indeed, something has got to give.  America has to improve regarding jobs.  Not just jobs, jobs which provide a decent wage, not the McJobs.  Also there need to be more technical, advanced level jobs, and jobs for college graduates.  It is quite unnerving for a college graduate to be flipping burgers, really now!   Thank you Credence2 for contributing to the discussion.

1. Credence2 profile image87
          Credence2posted 3 years ago in reply to this

The face of everything has changed, 3d printing, superb voice recognition software, exported cheap labor, etc. So how are our schools preparing young people for this brave new world? In the face of all this, labor and the traditional work of peopleare worth less. We will interact more with machines and computer programs in the future, no need for coffee break or raises and such. If you are not among the group of those that are trained to repair the machines or otherwise among those in  extensively educated, hallowed professions, things are going to get rough. I glad that I came up in an earlier, relatively simpler time.

gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Definitely!  I read a book in the early 1990s regarding the computerization of American society.  The book stated that in the future, those w/o computer skills are going to be disenfranchised and will be the new poor.  The computer is the new literacy.  Without computer skills, one is NOWHERE.

2. profile image60
            Paul Froehlichposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I predict that there will be some hits and some improvements in the economy.  Add to death and taxes one more certainty in life, namely that Republicans will blame Obama for the hits, and deny him any credit for the improvements.  Just as they have denied him any credit for the doubling of the stock market since the day Bush left office.

working