Should all undocumented immigrants be deported?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (51 posts)
  1. Angela Kendrick profile image68
    Angela Kendrickposted 9 years ago

Should all undocumented immigrants be deported?

I recently read an article where the author quoted an Arizona woman whose police officer son was killed by an undocumented Mexican immigrant with a prior criminal history who had never been deported.  The woman who was the subject of the article, who herself was Latina, was quoted as stating that "all illegal immigrants should be deported."   What are your thoughts?

2. Melissa Noon profile image69
    Melissa Noonposted 9 years ago

I think this is one of the issues where regardless where you stand you can never be right. For myself, I think if they pay taxes, and follow rules, and do not use our welfare system than I do not care. However I think so many come and get so much free things that we citizens pay for and sometimes give up a lot of our paychecks and it gets a little unfair.

I believe there should be limit of how many of each nationality should be allowed in which is what we do when people apply legally for citizenship. If we allow too many people to enter it can upset the job market and economics.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

THANK  YOU MN, COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF!

2. profile image59
      retief2000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I like the "if they are already good members of American society" attitude. I would like those to get a shot at staying. I would prefer more and easier legal immigration from places distant enough that merely sneaking across the border is impossible.

3. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9097113_f260.jpg

HELL YES, all illegal immigrants should be deported.  First of all, many illegals have no contributable nor relevant skills for the American economy.  It has been substantiated that illegals are the recipients of free care in hospitals and other type of free services which eventually results in the American taxpayer footing the bill.  Illegals exhaust and drain our American economy through the use of welfare in addition to the various social programs they use. 

When they do get jobs, they push the wages down.  They also displace the Caucasian and Black lower class as they take the latter's jobs. Illegals have caused lots of contention with poor Blacks and Caucasians because of intense competition for jobs. 

Many Texans, Californians, and Arizonians have experienced destruction of property and a rising crime rate as a result of these illegals.   In essence, if people want to immigrate to America, it should be through legal channels.  Also, they should not have a criminal history and have contributable and relevant skills. If not, DON'T BOTHER TO IMMIGRATE TO AMERICA.

1. profile image59

Illegal adults have displaced teenagers from jobs they used to perform. The often repeated line, "They do jobs Americans won't do" is the most hateful of lies.It is as if Americans were as lazy as their politicians.

4. junkseller profile image79
    junksellerposted 9 years ago

What you suggest is basically impossible, even if you wanted to do it. Politically it would be suicide for anyone to propose it and economically, I've seen estimates which suggest it would cost $100-$300 billion dollars to do. That's a lot of duckets.

Not to mention the impact it would have on businesses which rely upon their labor. When Georgia passed a law not too long ago that drove out a large number of illegal workers they ended up with a bunch of crops rotting in the fields.

Of course, none of this should be decided on emotionality or on ignorance. Many people, for whatever reasons, have worked extremely hard portraying immigrants (legal and illegal) in a very poor light, with the current hysteria being especially ridiculous. The reality is that most of them are good, hard working people. Most tend to have a strong sense of family and community and many of their communities in fact have lower crime than average. They also are a net positive for the economy.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't fix the system so that they are legal rather than illegal or that we shouldn't manage the system so the influx is sustainable, but those are easily solvable problems. Much easier than would be a mass deportation program.

1. profile image59

Now you speak as the friend of businesses in violation of federal law. If there were no jobs for illegals, self deportation would begin. The standard system of immigration is good enough for an Irish PhD, it should be good enough for a Mexican farmer

2. junkseller profile image79
      junksellerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I guess you missed the part were I said we should fix the system so they are legal. The statement on impact is simply reality.

5. profile image59
    retief2000posted 9 years ago

The problem with illegal immigration is that it isn't as "demagogued" by prominent political speech makers (read POTUS) These are not the best and brightest, nor are those opposing their entry into America anti-immigration. These are people who are poorly educated, poorly trained and likely illiterate in their own language - which is as likely as not to be something other than Mexican-Spanish.

Immigration, itself, has gone wonky. Those educated, trained and yearning to live free are stymied by a system that is weighted down by the typically inefficient government regulations and bureaucracy. They live to far away to sneak in and they spend years and thousands of dollars trying to legally emigrate.

Illegal immigrants come for many and varied reasons, some of which are nefarious or dubious. There is a perception on the part of some that the American Southwest is still Mexico's by rights and there is, despite some opinions, an effort at "reconquesta." One of the major groups pushing illegal immigration is La Rasa ( the race). Can you imagine any other group calling themselves The Race without some criticism.

Retief2000,thank you, they AREN'T the best & brightest, in fact, they are the diametric opposite of the best & brightest.  Totally with your synopsis of the illegal immigrant situation.

2. wrenchBiscuit profile image66
      wrenchBiscuitposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, you gotta be careful, they might try to cannibalize you; but then , according to gmwilliams  they're the diametric opposite of a human being , so maybe they'll just eat you instead. If they do, can I have your shadow hat?

3. gmwilliams profile image84

Retief, of course these illegals have NO relevant skills & are uneducated. We don't need SUCH in this country, our welfare systems are EXHAUSTED ENOUGH as it without adding to it. SOLUTION: SEND them BACK! WE don't want NOR need them, simple as T

4. LandmarkWealth profile image67
      LandmarkWealthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is only partially true. Immigrants are 40% more likely to start their own biz than natural born citizens. They can be very self sufficient and productive if we could get our politicians to stop addicting them to entitlements for votes.

5. wrenchBiscuit profile image66

Yes, immigration has gone awry! The illegal European immigrants that followed Columbus to this continent were also not the best and the brightest. Their crimes against humanity are well documented.

6. LandmarkWealth profile image67

Illegal immigration from Europe.  In order to have something be illegal...there would have had to have been established laws on the continent at the time.

7. wrenchBiscuit profile image66

LandmarkWealth: It is a common white supremacist fiction that since no "white law" existed on this continent prior to the European Invasion, then of course, there could have been no law at all. I also understand many still believe in the tooth fairy.

8. LandmarkWealth profile image67

Can you please cite the specific immigration laws observed by native Americans that existed prior to European settlers...and exactly which immigration law was violated.  Or are you simply making them up ?

9. profile image59

In fact, Indian tribes often killed each other to protect lands they claimed fro themselves. The Comanche, Ojibwa, Apache, etc...claimed lands and killed other Indians who intruded.  All else is fantasy.

10. wrenchBiscuit profile image66

LandmarkWealth : If your goal was to truly understand then you would have already seriously studied Indigenous history, as the.information is freely available to anyone. Consequently, it would be foolish of me to try and teach you.

11. LandmarkWealth profile image67

If your goal was to understand, you'd know that it wasn't "white racist" who were the settlers, but rather the Spanish conquistadors.  Native Americans migrated to NA as well when the continents were connected...does that make them illegal ?

12. wrenchBiscuit profile image66

LW: You insist that the Indigenous migrated here, as did the Euro. You see no illegality in either movement. Yet you see an illegality today? You suggest that any injustice is acceptable as long as a white man hasn't deemed it illegal. Racism 101.

13. LandmarkWealth profile image67

No what I said was in order for something to be illegal, there must be a clearly defined law to break. No credible source anywhere suggests that Native Americans observed an immigration policy. So you just decided to make one up rather than cite one

14. wrenchBiscuit profile image66

The fact that laws were broken is evident in the fact that many nations  fought and killed European squatters in response to  illegal and immoral European immigration. Otherwise, they would not have fought against them. Read and learn.

15. LandmarkWealth profile image67

So because people were killed is evidence they violated the law ? When do you plan to actually cite a source for these laws. And these Europeans were not white, they were Spaniards. At odd's with your quest to blame the white man for society's ills

16. wrenchBiscuit profile image66

LW: You are confusing "Mexican" with "Spaniard" which are not one in the same. Your questions indicate that you are separated from God, have subscribed to revisionist fiction, and that you do not understand universal law.

17. LandmarkWealth profile image67

Your comments demonstrate you're delusional. I hold a masters in history.  The first conquests of native American's was by the SPANISH (Spaniard...aka not white) Conquistadors. God has nothing to do with the discussion.

18. wrenchBiscuit profile image66

LW: Not surprising you have resorted to semantics and derogatory comments.  I understand some bigots don't consider Spaniards and Italians to be "white", but most people do consider them "white", as opposed to African and Indigenous.  Read and learn.

19. LandmarkWealth profile image67

I'm Italian, and my wife lived in Spain for 3 years. They do not consider themselves white.  Hispanic is defined as people of a country that speak the Spanish Language.  Get your facts straight. I believe you started the derogatory "godless" innuendo

20. wrenchBiscuit profile image66

LOL! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic:  ... According to census reports, of the above races the largest number of Hispanic or Latinos are of the White race, the second largest number come from the Native American/American Indian race ...

21. LandmarkWealth profile image67

Genius, the ancestry of the people of Spain is a melting pot of Africans, Arabs, etc.  DNA research shows they are largely not a white people.  Nor were they in 1490.  http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 … x/abstract

6. wrenchBiscuit profile image66
    wrenchBiscuitposted 9 years ago

This is a common tactic used by those with a racist/ nationalist agenda. They exploit grief stricken individuals to serve their arguments. Furthermore, I would like to know the details; whether or not it was a rogue cop who created the confrontation and then ended up dead.

Overall, it is a ridiculous argument, since if a white man rapes a black woman, it's not uncommon for the woman and her family to develop a hatred toward all white men, or vice versa. Even though we can all understand the outrage and anger, we still wouldn't suggest that all white men, or all black men , depending, should be sent into exile. What they have done in using this woman is blatantly racist. Whoever perpetrated the crime should pay for it. It has nothing to do with illegal immigrants, but only the intentions of an evil man.

I have been to Mexico on numerous occasions and I was treated with respect, even though I don't speak the language. Criminals exist in every breed of man.

Why is it difficult to acknowledge that these illegals AREN'T good for the country?  After all, they AREN'T the best.

2. Angela Kendrick profile image68
      Angela Kendrickposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In this case, the police officer was not a rogue cop.  The illegal immigrant at issue was driving while intoxicated and caused the fatal crash that killed the police officer.

7. Pollyannalana profile image61
    Pollyannalanaposted 9 years ago

I just heard a guard say that even the gang members come in and so our country is filling up with these men (They do say most are men or boys over 14) who mean us no good and will not become good citizens and there are so very many of them; again not my words, that to just make them all citizens would be such a crazy and idiotic thing to do so I hope if they are allowed to be citizens it will be individual not just everyone all at once. That is so stupid of this administration. But they have body guards don't they? Probably going to Hawaii anyway after they mess up this country.

Polly, these illegals AREN'T the creme de la creme; they are the WORST. They AREN'T going to contribute anything positive to America.  However, this administration and those who agree with this "humanitarian" act REFUSE to see the ACTUAL situation!

2. profile image59

The actual humanitarianism would be to feed, house and treat their medical needs. Identify the truly young and abandoned - there have been stories of 4 and 5 year olds arriving alone - and work to get them adopted.The rest should get well and get out

8. profile image0
    temptor94posted 9 years ago

In my opinion, there's nothing stopping the immigrants for become legal immigrants. I do understand that immigrants leave their native land to escape oppression or to seek a better life. They have dreams which they think a bigger better country can offer. But if they want to benefit from that country and prosper, why not re-apply for immigrant status. I am not aware of the exact US laws here, but I'm talking from the legal procedures followed at my place.
    It is not right for illegal immigrants to remain in the system and take advantage of free facilities offered by the government (which actually come from taxpayer's money), when many of the natives of the country can benefit from these facilities.
    Moreover, those with a criminal past need to be deported. Each country has their share of native criminals, no one needs an additional supply of criminals from across the border. I am somewhat in agreement with the Arizona woman here, all immigrants with criminal history must be deported.

1. profile image0
      John Crawfordposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Factor in many illegals don't know the policies for immigrating. Laws in their country might make moving to a different country very difficult. It's not like moving state to state, which can also be a hassle, albeit less so.

9. Superkev profile image60
    Superkevposted 9 years ago

If you are here illegally, you should be sent home, period. If your first act upon entering the country was to break its laws, then why should you be rewarded for that, no matter how long you have been here?

Letting people like that stay is a slap in the face to all those who have waited in line and followed the rules and not broken any other laws while here and going through the process.

10. AS-92 profile image65
    AS-92posted 9 years ago

The criminals must be deported outside the world!!!

11. LandmarkWealth profile image67
    LandmarkWealthposted 9 years ago

First of all...an illegal alien is not undocumented any more than a drug dealer is an undocumented pharmacist.  This is a ridiculous politically correct term to try and redirect the fact that they have broken the law.

That being said, I do believe that most people come to this country for the freedom and liberty that is not available to them in these stateist govt's of tyranny that many live under.  So I certainly can't blame them for wanting to come here.  It is not practically possible to deport every person who is here illegally.  The resources are not there to do so.  And many of them can be as asset to our country no different than my ancestors where, as long as we can prevent our elected officials from undermining their ambition by addicting them to unsustainable entitlement programs which are now in excess of 100 trillion in unfunded liabilities.  Politically speaking, this is easier said then done.

Anyone who has studied economics understands that a country with the current demographics the US has, must have some immigration to counter an aging population or you will end up with the productivity problems that Japan is facing.    And on the contrary, if you allow your entitlement structure to run wild the way most of Europe has...you'll end up with a whole host of other credit and currency related problems...such as the PIIGS are currently coping with.

Ultimately, for both economic and national security reasons there has to be a balance of a secure border and a process of understanding who is coming here and why.  They need to be given no special treatment above people like my sister in-law who came here legally from Columbia.  Those who have committed serious crimes in addition to illegal entry should serve their time and be deported with a permanent ban on citizenship.  And those who are not minors should not be eligible for any form of entitlements until they have become citizens and paid into the system for at least a decade.  If being self sufficient is too much to ask, then don't come here. My ancestors immigrated from Sicily. There was no medicaid, supplemental income or earned income credits for them. They lived much better than they did in Sicily.  And asked nobody to carry their weight when they got here.

You either come here to be a productive working citizen interested in climbing the economic ladder and competing like everyone else...or get out.  We only need those who are here to work hard. Everyone else is a drain on the system.

1. junkseller profile image79
      junksellerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes people do things that would otherwise be deemed a crime but mitigating circumstances make it not so. E.g. factually shooting and killing someone in self-defense isn't murder. The law isn't simple black and white.

2. LandmarkWealth profile image67

That would depend on the crime of course. I am talking about cases like below.  I am not interested in deportation for J-walking. http://www.ijreview.com/2014/07/156868- … -deported/

3. profile image0

Have heard the misdirection that few people call those with traffic violations illegal drivers. Completely misleads on what is at issue.  We do call people with traffic violations violators, because they did violate traffic laws.

12. Angela Kendrick profile image68
    Angela Kendrickposted 9 years ago

There has been a lot of interesting discourse on this topic.  I noticed all the comments are geared toward those who illegally enter our borders from Mexico.  Bear in mind that while there is a huge influx of illegal immigrants (and those who are asylees and refugees) via our southern border through Mexico, we emigrate huge numbers of people from Honduras, El Salvador, and Guatemala.  In addition to those who enter our southern border, we also have those who come here with tourist visas and overstay or enter illegally from other countries (i.e., those located in Europe, Asia, and Africa).  When I lived in Florida, my coworker was an illegal Irish immigrant.  She was nearly 60 years of age and had lived in the United States with her husband since they were in their 20s.  Her husband was also an illegal immigrant.  Should they too be deported?  It is noteworthy that our immigration laws do provide an exception for those who have been here ten years or more and are employed and productive.

The law provides that anyone who is here illegally should be detained and deported.  Those who are as legal immigrants are subject to deportation if they commit crimes, so those illegal immigrants who commit crimes should be subject to the same treatment. 

I highly agree that there are many immigrants who come here with a sense of entitlement.  I believe that all immigrants should contribute to the economy and not be a burden on American taxpayers.  I also agree that all immigrants should also pay taxes.  A huge number of those who come here and work are paid under the table by their employers and, thus, evade paying taxes.

1. profile image0

The focus is obvious why. Though the title states 'undocumented', it is well known this is politically correct terminology for illegal immigrant. Plus, you note a Latina said, as quoted, "all illegal immigrants should be deported."

13. wingedcentaur profile image64
    wingedcentaurposted 9 years ago

Angela Kendrick: How's it going?

What is the question you are actually asking? You juxtapose the idea of "all undocumented immigrants" with a specific, individual undocumented Mexican immigrant, who shot and killed a police officer.

Are you asking: Are all undocumented immigrants criminals? If the answer to this question is yes, is your next question something like: Should all "undocumented immigrants," who are criminals, according this a possible line of thinking, be deported?

Another way to put it is: Should all "undocumented immigrants" (who are also criminals) be deported? In other words, are you asking: What should we do with a criminal population, who are criminals on top of the fact that they are in the United States illegally?

If that is the question under examination (and mind you, I am not at all convinced that it should be), a good first step, from the point of view of justice, and all that good stuff, is to make a determination about when and where the "criminality" occurred.

I would assume that law enforcement authorities in specific jurisdictions would want "first dibs," as it were, on this or that criminal, who committed her criminality in x. y, z jurisdiction.

Also, one little side note: The mother of the slain police officer, obviously made her remark: "all illegal immigrants should be deported" in the context of personal distress at the loss of her son. We probably shouldn't take that as her calm, reflected assessment of public policy sans personal tragedy.

Now, if you want to say that anyone who is present in the United States without proper documentation is, inherently committing a crime; and you want to put this status up for debate as to what their disposition should be, that is another conversation.

1. profile image59

If someone is a foreign national and have remained in the country after their vise has expired or entered the country illegally, they are already a criminal and should be subject to summary deportation. Additional crimes = jail time.

14. profile image0
    John Crawfordposted 9 years ago

It is unfortunate what happened to the woman's son. It is commendable, however, that he died in the line of duty as a police officer, trying to keep the peace. That said, the ability to deport millions of undocumented, as already noted, is pretty much impossible.

However, we ought to be able to make adequate policies that, if an undocumented immigrant is caught by the authorities, that they are sent back to their country of origin. It may not retrieve all undocumented immigrants, but it would at least get off the streets those that are involved in criminal activity. For how long? That's debatable, since even when we jail our own native criminals, they can wind up back on the streets and returning to the same life they lived before being processed by the authorities and the courts. It may be a bit longer for foreign immigrants to be processed by their native land's authorities, or, if that particular country has a corrupt system, they may have them out in no time, and find a way to get the person back into the States - assuming that said person is of interest for them to return to the States. It may be possible that said person might wind up dead, being considered useless by their handlers.

That is, after all, one aspect of criminal organizations that isn't afforded as easily to even the multinational corporations, and one that some corporations seem to admire about criminal organizations as being part of their efficient business model for firing and laying off workers, not to mention excellent retirement plan.

15. Missing Link profile image69
    Missing Linkposted 8 years ago

They are illegal aliens and all should be deported.  They are criminals.  They have shown disregard, disdain and contempt for our laws, rules and regulations.  ALL should be deported!

It also is not fair to the people who are immigrating legally.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)