jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (17 posts)

Is North Korea a real threat to America?

1. lesliebyars profile image68
    lesliebyarsposted 3 years ago via iphone

If North Korea is a real issue what should be done about it?

1. rhamson profile image78
      rhamsonposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Nothing. Period. Let them work out their own problems. If the people of North Korea ever get a belly full of Un, they will make their own move just as Syria is seeing their own way out of the dictator that has ruined their lives.

As far as being in harms way with the nuclear missile threats, you can believe that our highest of alerts are on the job and ready to shoot down anything being lobbed our way. We don't have a clue as to our military capabilities and we are not about to serve them up for all to see.

2. MG Singh profile image81
      MG Singhposted 3 years ago in reply to this

North Korea is not a threat to the USA at all. The danger is China which is using North Korea to keep pressure on the USA.

3. MizBejabbers profile image90
      MizBejabbersposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I agree with most of the comments, however, if North Korea ever did let loose a missile at us, the danger is mostly in our own government's reaction. Then we might stir up China. Practically every thing we buy is made in China Could China afford to lose the US as a market? I don't know.

4. profile image0
      mbuggiehposted 3 years ago in reply to this

North Korea is a regional and global threat because of the instability of its leader and his willingness, as we have seen in recent days, to use the most brutal of force to coerce even his allies to toe-the-line.

In addition, North Korea has an ambitious and increasingly successful missile program; a weapons program more than capable---presently, of an attack on South Korea.

2. Zelkiiro profile image85
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

North Korea is about as threatening as the snotty kid next door who claims that his dad can beat up your dad. Just because he occasionally waves a slingshot around doesn't mean he'll ever use it.

3. donotfear profile image90
    donotfearposted 3 years ago

Anytime you have a dictator in charge of a country with grandiose delusions, it's dangerous.

1. profile image83
      Education Answerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

+1

Anybody who has a nuclear bomb is dangerous.  Anybody who has a nuclear bomb and is quite possibly insane is even more dangerous.  Anybody who has a nuclear bomb, is quite possibly insane, and threatens to use it is exceedingly dangerous.

1. maxoxam41 profile image77
        maxoxam41posted 3 years ago in reply to this

And Education, you know what you are talking about. After all, aren't we the only ones who used the nuclear weapon on civilians? Aren't we the only ones who dropped a nuclear head on North Carolina in 1961? If we are not dangerous, what are we to the eyes of the international community?

4. maxoxam41 profile image77
    maxoxam41posted 3 years ago

The danger comes from us! We install nuclear heads aiming at China, Iran, North Korea... and we are doing business with them. We used Saddam, Ben Ali... and when we don't need them we overthrow them by financing the opposition. Japan is on the verge of surrendering during ww2 and we bomb them to experiment the consequences of the nuclear bomb on civilians. We sacrifice our youth, we "eugenized" the poor, we imploded the world trade center, we are poisoning our land (fracking) ...
    Why don't we look ourselves in the mirror before pointing a finger to a created enemy?

1. rhamson profile image78
      rhamsonposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Because it is not monetarily profitable. wink

2. GA Anderson profile image83
      GA Andersonposted 3 years ago in reply to this

If the rest of your statements are as accurate as your "Japan was about to surrender..." statement, then perhaps your opinion could benefit from a little research.

Japan was far from surrendering - they were training a new corp of Kamikaze pilots in preparation for an invasion landing. Check it out...

GA

1. profile image83
        Education Answerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

+1

I have never heard that Japan was ready to surrender, and I would be very interested in seeing a source that suggested otherwise.

1. profile image0

Japan was far from surrender.

A basic---and I mean BASIC, understanding of Japanese history and culture---particularly the culture the emerged from the Meiji Restoration and persisted into World War II, would help one to understand how utterly impossible surrender was for Japan.

2. maxoxam41 profile image77
        maxoxam41posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I checked it out so ,please, don't come and count me your idealized version of our history! You will also tell me that Pearl Harbor, the Tonkin... had nothing to do with our involvement?

1. GA Anderson profile image83
          GA Andersonposted 3 years ago in reply to this

OK, you stick with your version of history and I will stick with mine.

But, briefly...

By end of July 1945 Japanese leaders were seeking conditional surrender terms via "back-channel" contacts with the Soviet Union - but they wanted favorable terms that would allow them to rebuild their military.

Conditional surrender was acceptable to none of the allied nations - Do you think the world should have accepted a conditional surrender that allowed them to rebuild their military?

The reply to their entreaty was a demand for unconditional surrender, as in no more military capability,  - they refused. They received the unconditional surrender offer before the bombs were dropped.

The bombs were dropped in August 1945 - so there was almost two weeks for the Japanese to accept surrender. They did not.

Japan attacked China and Malaysia, and was aligned with Hitler well before they attacked the U.S. - so do you still think we provoked/deserved Pearl Harbor?

ps. you could have found this and much more detailed chronologies with one of those famous "20 minute Google searches" - if accuracy were important to your opinions.

pss. The Soviet Union continued fighting and conquering Japanese held territory for almost two weeks after the surrender. But not the U.S. hmmm...

Ideals and philosophies are powerful things when grounded in facts and realities.

GA

3. profile image0

Thank you for attempting to offer some  voice of reason in response to this uninformed and clearly agenda-driven and anti-American drivel.

And yes, we will stick with the facts of history as they are, but also need to understand that the result of sticking to the facts with some people is analogous to banging one's head on a very hard wall.

working