jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (16 posts)

The best U.S. President in U.S. history

1. profile image0
    lesliebyarsposted 3 years ago

Tell me who you believe the most accomplished American President of all time is and the reason you believe so.

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Obama without question.

He has spent more money that we didn't have than any other president in history.  He has instituted the biggest boondoggle in the history of the country, with his Obamacare.  And he has made more apologies for America than any other president.

Can't say that his accomplishments are good, but he DID accomplish them.

1. Credence2 profile image84
        Credence2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

A nasty little political barb, huh Wilderness?  I can cite volumes over why I think Bush the II and Reagan sucked, but this is not the proper forum....

TY, TY. 

But you DO have to admit his accomplishments, along with the value of them.  And the OP did not specify accomplishments that were good for the country, just accomplishments.

2. rhamson profile image77
      rhamsonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Abraham Lincoln is my choice. He was without guile and a humble leader who withstood all odds to maintain the Union. He embraced his enemies and made them strong allies through his leadership.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crises. The great point is to bring them the real facts."      Abraham Lincoln

1. Credence2 profile image84
        Credence2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I am with you rhamson, I think that Abe tops the list as an extraordinary man from such humble beginnings.

And I'd probably join you two; Abe always got my attention, in a very good way.

3. HowardBThiname profile image89
      HowardBThinameposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thomas Jefferson

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image87
    Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago

Who could answer that without being about 100 years old? or a history professor?
    My favorite president is good old George Washington.

1. profile image0
      lesliebyarsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I'll go with Franklin D. Roosevelt

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image87
        Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years agoin reply to this

John Adams

1. profile image0

George Washington or John Adams?

Thomas Jefferson
            Sorry, I am breaking the rules.

1. profile image0

What is it about Tommy J. that you like.

Tommy J:

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest…"
                "The will of the public majority should always prevail."

The general federal) government will tend to monarchy, which will fortify itself from day to day, instead of working for its own cures."

What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time…"

"It is the manners and spirit of the people which preserves a republic in vigour. A degeneracy in these is a canker which soon eats the heart of its laws and constitution."

As the "silent member" of the Congress, Jefferson, at 33, drafted the Declaration of Independence. In years following he labored to make its words a reality in Virginia. Most notably, he wrote a bill establishing religious freedom, enacted in 1786"
                "...sharp political conflict developed, and two separate parties, the Federalists and the Democratic-Republicans, began to form. Jefferson gradually assumed leadership of the Republicans, who sympathized with the revolutionary cause in France. Attacking Federalist policies, he opposed a strong centralized Government and championed the rights of states."
                http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/preside … sjefferson

3. profile image80
    Education Answerposted 3 years ago

Jefferson and Washington have to be at the top for me.

working