The Emblem of the USA Should Be Changed To Reflect True Character

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (32 posts)
  1. wrenchBiscuit profile image67
    wrenchBiscuitposted 9 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9149934_f520.jpg

Father Daniel Berrigan, and the other members of the Plowshares Movement are true heroes, and true followers of Jesus. I will not call them American heroes, because the American war machine is the evil that they have stood against; because the majority of Americans did not rally to support them in 1980, when they made their first symbolic strike against the General Electric Nuclear Missile facility in Pennsylvania.

If Americans would have stood in support of the Plowshares movement in 1980, The Iraqi and Afghan wars would not have happened. If Americans would have followed Jesus in 1980 instead of a dollar bill, children wouldn't be dying today in Palestine; victims of a Zionist war machine subsidized with U.S. taxpayer dollars. Apparently, the average American is lacking a mind, heart, and courage.

The bald eagle was chosen June 20, 1782 as the emblem of the United States of America.
    I suggest that the Tin Man, Scarecrow,or the Cowardly Lion are more appropriate candidates, as the Plowshares Movement has clearly illustrated.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9149958_f248.jpg

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9149965_f248.jpg

BEST SYMBOL of AMERICA there IS. LOVING IT, LOVING IT!

2. profile image0
      Nadia Ribaduposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What a strange writing, with even stranger assertions.

wrenchBiscuitposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Nadia, What is even stranger than my writing, is the fact that a majority of people continue to accept the murder of innocents as an unfortunate fact of life. They simply shrug their shoulders and say, "That's the way of the world". I say that is only the way of evil, and indifferent men.  It is the way of cowards, who continue to go along just to get along, even though it is ultimately to their own detriment; even though their selfishness, and indifference, will ultimately bring pain and misery to their own children. That is very strange indeed.

1. profile image0

It is ALSO strange that people who want the whole world to pity them, and the whole world pities the Palestinian position, won't rise up against their so-called leaders, all of whom are militants, not policy makers, not builders of jobs and schools and health care and have the best interests of their people at heart.  The Hamases and Al Qaedas and all the other militant groups only have the goal of banishing Israel from the face of the earth and death for their own people, because they have no plans of progress and life for Palestinians.  Instead of sheltering their people from harm's way, building bomb shelters for them, they PUT the bombs in civilian-populated areas and SHOOT at Israel from those positions, to which Israel responds, LOGICALLY, at the source!  The Islamic militants build tunnels, not bomb shelters, they have nothing but death and jihad planned for their youth.  That's what people from your side of the aisle refuse to see.  They invite the devastating response from Israel to kill their people.  They don't care.  They just keep breeding, knowing a militant from among them is born every minute, and that's fine for them.

Nadia,I can tell from your words that you know very little about Israel's colonialist occupation, and aggression in the Middle East. You are also not aware that there are many Orthodox Jews who are also against the Zionist occupation.

Many called my ancestors savages for killing European settlers, and squatters, here on this continent. But the majority of the Indigenous nations who fought against colonialist aggression were  killing the invaders as an act of self defense. The invaders were killing our people because of their greed, and to satisfy their lust to possess, and steal what belonged to another. They already had their  countries in Europe, but that was not enough.The Zionists and the Americans have a lot in common.

3. profile image0

I do, however, share your preference for a peaceful world.  But the reality is that the wars you mentioned would have happened regardless because of events that led to them (the invasion of Iraq was entirely senseless and unjustified).  American military ventures around the world, indeed, human engagement in war, will continue as long as we (Americans) and humans in general can't get over ourselves.  Many Americans, especially our politicians, believe in "American exceptionalism," and that we have the right to protect "our interests," wherever they may be.  So don't be naive.  Since time began humans have been at one another's throats over land and religion.  Nothing short of something apocalyptic, something of Biblical proportions, will end our tendency to wage war.

Nadia,I am not being naive at all. It doesn't matter that people have be have been raping and  butchering each other since the beginning of time. I am not content to stay in the jungle. The human race is in a state of evolution, and we can evolve away from ignorance, or we  can move toward it. Moral Technology is the answer to all of our social ills.

This technology is still in a primitive state, because technologies that contribute to a materialistic society have been given the primary focus. Moral Technology is preventative medicine, and this is the best kind. You say many of these wars would have been unavoidable, but that does not follow the natural law of cause and effect. Eating fresh food will make you strong and healthy. Eating rotten food will make you sick, and can even kill you. This is all elementary. A society that has been made to rotten by selfishness, and materialism, can only move in the direction of violence and war.

4. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, Palestinian children are dying because Americans follow Jesus and see the state of Israel as god given to the world somehow.  Something that MUST be protected, defended and saved from other religions.  Had the US kept it's hands (and money, guns and planes) out of reach of Israel it would have died years ago.

1. GA Anderson profile image89
        GA Andersonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Holy cow Wilderness... you are not usually this wrong. (you must have broken the martini rule)

(I guess I must have too - since I am helping you hijack this thread)

"...because Americans follow Jesus and see the state of Israel as god given to the world somehow. "

I can't imagine where you got this idea. Maybe if you had qualified it with something like American Jews, or American Zionists Jews, or something... at least.

You would be much more accurate if you had pointed out that it was influential Zionist Jews, and their organizations, (public and secret), and the guilt of history of course, (the Holocaust and our ports closed to Jews fleeing it), that influenced and manipulated our USG into promoting and supporting the creation of Israel.

Then you might point out, the not so insignificant value of this ally to our recent past, current, and future national interests.

Americans following Jesus had nothing to do with it. (well, very little anyway) Do you really think there is a large and influential population of non-Jewish Americans that that accept the Zionist's claim of -"... Israel as god given"?

"... Had the US kept it's hands (and money, guns and planes) out of reach of Israel it would have died years ago."

You might have a point here, but if so, it must be coming from your crystal ball. You might be right, or you might be wrong... either way I think it is a very debatable "what if" point.

ps. We are both well aware that supporting data/links can be found for whatever point of view someone wants to promote, but rhamson posted an informative link in the other Israel thread. Even understanding the agenda of the link - too many of the points are documented facts, or very reasonably drawn conclusions, to just dismiss all the information as propaganda. - If Americans Knew - History US-Israel Relations

GA

1. wilderness profile image95

No, GA, it comes from the list of family/friends that I call mine.  Most are staunchly Christian and many make no bones that the US must support Israel no matter what, as something God desires.  I've never questioned that belief as Religion is not something we discuss much, but it comes through pretty plain in what little is said and on their FB posts. 

It IS a small list compared to US population (obviously!) and most from just one church - it is quite possible that Christians in general do not agree.

2. profile image0

Huh?

3. bBerean profile image60
        bBereanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This comment deserves a scarecrow award.  Perhaps Wrenchbisquit could make one up for you.

4. wrenchBiscuit profile image67

Half of what you say is correct. But once again, it appears that something has been lost in the translation. The people involved in the Plowshares Movement exemplify true Christianity. They walk through the world like Jesus. Their actions follow the examples of Jesus. Many have spent time in prisons, and suffered as Jesus would have suffered.

But the average Christian in America has always been a Christian in name only.Their contribution to the world ends at the collection plate. The United States is not contributing $3 billion a year to Israel because of their love for Jesus, but because of their love for money.

Those who do not directly profit from  Zionist aggression, do not defy the government for fear of running afoul of "the law",  and losing their money and material possessions. They have laid up their treasures, not in Heaven, but here on Earth.

Once again, the "true Christian" fallacy raises it's head - "True" Christians are only the ones you deem to be so, irregardless of how they see themselves.

But I did not intend to address the plowshare movement as I've never heard of it.  I will go so far to say that destruction of public property is not something I condone, though, regardless of what the destroyer thinks Jesus wants of them.

It is easy to determine who a true Christian is. A true Christian is a follower of Christ. More specifically, a Christian follows the teachings of Jesus. When we look at the life of Jesus, we see that Jesus did not condone killing, even to save himself from the cross. As far as destruction of property is concerned:  When it is a choice between destroying a human life, as opposed to the machinery that kills and disfigures the image of God, there is only one choice for a Christian to make. When Jesus saw the money changers in the temple, he did not politely ask them to leave!

Matthew 21:12 "And Jesus entered the temple and drove out all those who were buying and selling in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who were selling doves." And He said to them, "It is written, 'MY HOUSE SHALL BE CALLED A HOUSE OF PRAYER'; but you are making it a ROBBERS' DEN.

The actions of the Plowshares were in keeping with the teaching of Jesus. They did not try to kill the soldiers, or anyone else connected to the weapons. Their goal was to damage the evil weaponry, and focus public attention on an evil government. This is why this government fears true Christians, because they are not the despicable sheep who sit in  churches across America and sing pretty songs, and listen to fiery sermons, while people are suffering, and dying as a result of U.S. imperialist aggression. For many of these pretenders, following Jesus means putting $5.00 in a collection plate once a week, or donating a small fraction of their overall wealth to a local charity. But most of their energy is expended on material pursuits.

No, what you really mean is that mythical "true Christian" does and acts as you interpret what you think Jesus said and meant with his words.  Your definition, in other words, takes priority over all others, particularly when it comes to interpreting the bible.

Works well for you, I suppose, but you won't find too much agreement when it comes to details.  Which is why it is a fallacy; every church and every person has a different definition and yours is no better than any other.

Your words are to be expected because you apparently have no understanding of an absolute authority. Right and wrong are not a matter of opinion, or a law written by mortal man. Any intelligent person who is filled with the love of God knows this.

5. rhamson profile image70
      rhamsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Benjamin Franklin suggested a Turkey as the National Emblem. He thought it would reflect the providence the country symbolized. He thought a bird of prey symbolized too predatory a message. Maybe he was right?

Franklin was a cut above the rest.  His literary works and inventions are proof of this. It is no wonder that he had the thoughtfulness to suggest a turkey.

2. wrenchBiscuit profile image67

gmwilliams, That's a lovely picture, and quite patriotic, but could you share with this humble anarchist why you love it so much?

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

plowshares movement
    "nuclear weapons and (mostly) Christian pacifist movement that advocates active resistance to war. The group often practices a form of symbolic protest that involves the damaging of weapons and military property. The movement gained notoriety in the early 1980s when several members damaged government property and were subsequently convicted. The name plowshares refers to the text of prophet Isaiah who said that weapons shall be beaten into plowshares." Wikipedia
    Never heard of it.

The 80's were a time of positivity. Protesting was a thing of the 60's and 70's. People were coming out of a pessimistic time. They were embracing a percolating economy brought forth by a wonderful positive president who had common sense and love for his country.
    The people were working, making money and raising children, trying to be happy...
    ...for a change.
    Hope you can understand that. Your image is not in line with positive thinking, hope and power which the American people will always have.
    PS Benjamin Franklin thought the turkey would be a wonderful bird as a symbol of our country. Not sure why.
    I prefer the eagle
    PS I give this one an F.
    ( Why did you plaster your name across the puzzle image? Did you put it together?  Well, good!)

Kathryn, The protests of the Plowshares Movement were some of the most significant, and important events of the 80's. There is nothing more important than saving lives. Especially the lives of little children.

Your explanation that people in the 80's couldn't be bothered with a peace movement because they were too busy trying to be happy, is a prime example of what I am talking about. It exemplifies how selfish, and even deadly materialistic behavior is so deeply ingrained in our society. So much so, that people will publicly defend the indefensible, without shame or remorse. As you see I understand it perfectly, because I have named it.

As far as your comment about positive thinking: I am a very positive thinker. I believe that one man, or one woman, can change the world. I believe that if we only spent half of our free time exploring ways to help each other, and stop this misery, that it would all soon end. I am very positive, because I believe that the evil of materialism,  an evil that many now embrace as their lord, and master, can be destroyed, dismembered, and cast to the four winds. I am one of the greatest positive thinkers of all time, because I know that it is within the power of the working class to rebuke their own cowardice, and to move against the ruling elite. There is no doubt in my mind that if we brought our numbers to bear against them, not a shot need be fired. In a moment,  our masters will become our slaves, as it should be, and as it will be.

Why did I "plaster" my name across the image? Because I usually do! These are my little graphic "remixes", and so I claim them as such. This one did not take very long to design, but it is a lot more interesting than the original. If someone is nice enough to visit your thread, I feel you should at least try to make it pretty, and somewhat original. After all, Hubpages is big on that sort of thing.

4. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9150971_f248.jpg

5. Zelkiiro profile image88
    Zelkiiroposted 9 years ago

This is the true picture of America:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll145/Zelkiiro/SantaClassist.jpg

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9152293_f248.jpg

BOring!

6. wrenchBiscuit profile image67

***Channeling Santa Claus***

This is a good poster. Such a poster says different things to  different people. A baboon, a goat, or a weasel, would have a more basic interpretation. What follows is my impression of your photo, and the words that were evoked by the images:

The Edict of Milan in 313 enabled Constantine The Great to co-opt the Christian faith. Christians were grateful to Constantine for ending the persecution of Christians in the Roman Empire. As a result, Constantine used his popularity to take control of the Christian church and pervert the teachings of Jesus, by infusing materialism into the Christian community. The grotesque cathedrals that sprung up all over Europe from that point forward are a testament to this fact.

Christians soon learned that being "good" to the state would bring great material reward. This is how the concept of Santa Claus originated. Today, children are also taught that being good will bring material reward. As the children grow older, they soon associate this material reward with the state system; like a monkey being taught to pull a lever to get a banana. So too, American children are taught through icons like Santa Claus to follow the rules, be good citizens, and not to question authority. By doing so, they can expect to get the tasty sweet banana, and perhaps a coconut or two. Jesus is given honorable mention during the Holidays, but it is Santa Claus who is the true star of the show.

Santa Claus is one of the greatest and most misunderstood tools of evil ever invented. The character of beautiful little children is darkened ,spoiled, and made selfish through the yearly ritual of Santa Claus. Little children with money are rewarded by the state system and encouraged to seek material gain. Little children without money are taught that they should aspire to seek the material gain that is enjoyed by their more affluent peers. Of course, they also learn that the best way to do this is to become subservient to the state. Obviously, although some are able to escape any long term affects of such mind control, the greedy and selfish character of many Americans suggests that a majority will never escape their self destructive addiction to materialism.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9152279_f248.jpg

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9152283_f248.jpg

Wealth is ah ............SO GOOD, SO GOOD, money makes the world go 'round, the world go 'round, love that clankety sound, money makes the world go 'ROUND.
        http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9152313_f248.jpg

2. profile image0

You really need to calm down.  Just take what's good and useful from Christianity, if you're a Christian, and leave the rest alone.  You don't have to like Santa Claus; prefer Jesus.  But you can't make people stop practicing and believing the things they do.  That's the whole problem with proselytizing and evangelizing, insisting that everyone else believe as you do.  You're a downer.  Get a life.

I do have a life. It is a beautiful life that goes on forever. Your derogatory remarks only reflect an inner confusion. People are dying all over the world because they don't believe as I do. That is the whole point of my teaching. A parent tells a child what they should, or should not do , not because they want to preach to the child ,but because of their love for that child. It appears that you do not know the look of love. When a majority of Americans stop behaving like selfish children, and stop perpetuating a world of pain for themselves, and future generations, I will stop preaching. Until then I will only increase my efforts.

I will not stand before God and say that I was silent for fear of ridicule. I will not stand at the threshold of a dream, and confess that my need for approval had more influence upon my life than the murder of innocents.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)