Confederate Battle Flag: Symbol of Racism

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Don W profile image82
    Don Wposted 8 years ago

The principle the constitution of the Confederacy was founded upon:

"Our new Government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition." (Vice President Alexander Stephens, 1861)

Though never officially adopted as the national flag of the confederacy, the confederate battle flag, commonly referred to as the Confederate Flag, has come to represent the confederacy and its ideals. It was adopted by the Klu Klux Klan at the turn of the 20th century as it symbolised the same principle: "the negro is not equal to the white man". And it continues to be used as the preferred symbol of hatred today:

http://static01.mediaite.com/med/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/CH9A7YpWcAAeLNM.jpg

As of now this symbol of a pro-slavery South during the civil war, is currently flying at full staff (all other official flags are flying at half staff, but a state law prevents this flag from being lowered) outside the State House in S.C. Isn't it time this symbol of racism and hatred was removed from public buildings and placed in a museum where it belongs?

1. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

In consideration of the White South, many say that it is a symbol of historical heritage. It was the South/Confederacy's finest hour. The men were courageous, brave and resourceful, while fighting for all the wrong things.  Living in the southeast US, I have seen this battle standard flown from the back of cars and pickups. These guys are telling us all that they remain "unreconstructed', after 150 years. I don't have time to waste trying to demonize these people, I have bigger fish to fry.  I am more interested in what goes on in the South Carolina statehouse and in Washington in regard to racial justice than to be concerned over the symbolism that a piece of cloth has for a few people.

But putting it in  a prominent place on the state house grounds and public buildings is not appropriate no more than my insisting that the multicolor afro-banner go there. The state and its taxpayer dollars representing all of its residents are sending the wrong message. The flag is not the state flag and is not representative of all of South Carolina. Yes, it should be retired to the museum.

2. aware profile image68
    awareposted 8 years ago

The confederacy  never became a nation.  It didnt   bring slavery to america. Or invent  it.slavery in America  is from. 1501 to 1865..what flag flew in that time.it?  It wasnt the stars and bars. It was the stars and stripes.  And various European  nations  flags.

1. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is not the stars and bars, it is the Confederate battle flag. The stars and bars is a different flag altogether.

Both are symbols of a failed rebellion, that was founded on the principle of racism and fought for the preservation of slavery. And you are right, the confederacy never became a nation, so why should its battle flag be flown in front of buildings paid for by taxpayers? They are part of the country's history, so they should be preserved in museums, but not flown in front of public buildings. What's the difference between this and a German town flying a Swastika in front of its local goverment building. That's part of history too right?

1. Colin Quartermain profile image88
        Colin Quartermainposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I believe there is a law in Germany and Austria making it illegal to fly the Swastika. I'm not sure that its even on display on museum pieces, like aircraft.

Could you possible expand on why the battle flag is considered racist for me, a UK reader? To be perfectly honest its a flag I most closely with associate with the Dukes of Hazzard rather than anything else, and my A-level history supposedly taught me that there were slavery states that sided with the Union in the US Civil War.

We are flattered to have you drop by.

The Confederate flag represented seceding states who had a fundamental objective of continuing the institution of slavery. This rebellion was crushed at a great cost. Those that resented the outcome of the war and were determined to keep the new freeman in a stage of bondage, saw the Confederate flag as their symbol of resistance to being "reconstructed" in the aftermath. It was much used as a symbol of racist intimidation by those who resisted Black aspirations for equality well after the War's end.  The black community continues to  see this resistance as a source of hostility

3. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

I've always believed that the confederate flag  should be outlawed  from flying  anywhere in public .  The worst war losses in American history  were in the war between the states .     There should be no flag of  the confederacy flown at ANY state house !      Both the North and the South suffered extensive  losses of young men and ,  for that !    I have lived in the south and feel ashamed whenever I 've seen that flag .

1. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My things have reached a tipping point. There seems to be quite a few people suggesting that the flag be removed now.

2. janesix profile image60
      janesixposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There should be no flag but the United States flag flown at any state house period.

4. profile image0

Its just time !   It simply represents too much negativity to too many people . ! Free speech or not !   The rights of speech has to have been  written to include some sense of responsible and compassion in  that very free speech !

1. janesix profile image60
      janesixposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No, it isn't time for your Orwellian society. It never is.

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I would think that common sense might dictate that  there are times when liberal mindset of "anything goes "  just goes away ! Perhaps even  out of  simple and common decency , and yet there are those who will always come full circle   with  the regurgitation of such senseless drivel .

5. colorfulone profile image76
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

Here is how the slain pastor may have felt about the Confederate flag. Surprised me.
    http://allenbwest.com/2015/06/whoa-this … rate-flag/

6. Superkev profile image60
    Superkevposted 8 years ago

Question: How will outlawing the Confederate flag prevent the next shooting of this nature or improve the lives of black Americans?

The flag is not the problem. If it was then the murder rates in places like Chicago and Detroit should be nil.

If the State of South Carolina's gov't wishes to take it down from the Statehouse, and the people of that state agree, then so be it. But do not try to pretend that the problem is a flag.

Great, put it to a vote. Are so obtuse to not see what is going on? I don't want that symbol and what it represents on the statehouse that represent me and the taxes that I pay. It is time to retire the old rag and not give a prominent place in the public square. No one is outlawing it, you want to fly it from your pickup truck, ahead. I don't care if it sold and you can buy it. Just fly it from your own yard. Yes, the flag and its prominence is one of the problems.

1. Superkev profile image60
        Superkevposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If that is what the people of the state want, then yes, they have the right. I will also mention that it is the ethnic minority, female, republican governor of that state that is having it removed.

That being said, the flag is not even a little bit of the problem, to state otherwise is utter nonsense.

Also, Amazon has suspended sales of the Confederate Battle Flag yet continues to sell Nazi and ISIS flags. Hypocrite much?
        http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12493912.jpg

7. profile image0

I guess in a perfect world , we would ALL love one country !  American's everywhere would feel secure , patriotic , part of one  nation  , one people , one faith . But , it's just not to be .   Like all countries , many ,many of them anyway , eventually  America  will fall ., the problem is though , I believe  it will fall from within !

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)