Where the Right Fails All of us as Americans

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 7 years ago

I used to be a Republican. Staunchly. But, the sensible and fiscally responsible Republican party of my youth has been hijacked by a bunch of hypocritical shirt sleeve Christians whose greed and envy drives their opinions. Who can't keep their own houses in order so they attempt to bemoan that by blaming the rest of us, attempting to legislate their brand of morality because they can't keep themselves from doing what they believe their religion doesn't want them to do and cry that all the problems stem from the fact that we aren't all hypocritical shirt sleeve Christians who think we are supposed to run America with a Sharia Law mentality .   I am so sick of listening to their holier than thou vapid opinions and non solutions to real world problems that I could pull my hair out.

I miss the real Republican party. I sometimes wonder if it is gone for good.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You'll get no arguments from me.  I still (mostly) vote republican, but only because we are growing beyond that vapid morality they would force onto everyone, and no one is going to stop that.  Democrats, on the other hand, would enslave all of us to Big Government and the largess of the politicians - a fate worse than death - and it is growing not dying out.  More and more Americans are quite happy with the nanny state, with Uncle Sam controlling every facet of their lives.

So I mostly go Republican, but surely wish for the old days.

Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yeh, I vote Republican also. But, more and more I gag when I do it, but a similar assessment on the Democratic Party keeps me checking the Republican box. I just wish we could see a third party start up with the fiscal values of the Republicans and leave it at that.

Yes, pretty much the same.

I DO wonder, though, if it is a fair assessment.  Who was it put religion onto our money and pledge?  Who pushed for prohibition?  Whatever party, I'd lay long odds it was the religious right in operation - the same group that so disgusts me today and has taken over the Republican party.

So were the "good old days" merely the same group of people pushing their religion, but without real opposition?  Not sure, not sure at all.

1. Castlepaloma profile image77
            Castlepalomaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Would it hurt to not vote at all, why pick an evil.?

Wrong question.  Why allow the worst evil to triumph?

Two evils don't make a right.  Think for yourselves, stop allowing to keep stealing more money each time. Then they keep giving less service and more slavery. I swear people don't get it, no matter what you do.

As long as I questions if I'm crazy, my life won't go insane.

No, two evils don't make a right.  But neither does ignoring them, letting "nature" take it's course; we owe it to ourselves and our country to limit damage as much as possible when we cannot do good.  Thus a vote for the lesser of two evils.

And there is always the hope that next time the politicians will have learned something and provide more suitable candidates.

As long as they owned and puppets by Corporatism, they are the world's largest criminal organization. They must be controlled by the people, never the other way round. They are not designed to run every part of lives without the concept of the constitution.
                    Like what we put in our bodies and whom (over Age 18) we sex with. Who we are debted for life and our children. To be given a licence to kill and steal worldwide under anything they desire without any ethical standards.

Governments can take care of little things, then I would vote.

2. rhamson profile image70
              rhamsonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Because they win.

2. lions44 profile image95
      lions44posted 7 years agoin reply to this

The Party is changing for the better.  After Trump loses, we can clean house and that includes the social conservatives.  Speaker Ryan is the future and the socons are being marginalized. It might take another election cycle, but the younger members of the party are economic conservatives, not moralizers.   Gay marriage and abortion are not our issues. 
      So don't abandon use yet.   We have to get through this Trump nonsense and deal with 4 years of HRC.

It's sadly funny,  nobody notice the huge elephant in the room.

Trump was the only one who mentioned the dollar collapse. Biggest event in modern Human history, in my books.

3. rhamson profile image70
      rhamsonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think you are onto the tip of our problems with this country. This used to be a Republic that elected representation of our ideas and truths. Through our apathy and ignorance it was hijacked by moneyed interests and perverted at their behest. We have two leading candidates that are clearly not in it for our interests and yet we will follow along as lemmings into the sea. Shame on us.

I have been saying this stuff on Hubpages for over a year now after terrble nightmares of violence in the street in America. Wail building self sustainable communities.

The tripping point is when most economists and BRICS presented May 28/2016 as dumping the Dollar day.
        Let the cat and dog eating contest begin.

4. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I hear what you say. While, it is unlikely that I can vote GOP because of substantial ideological differences, they have never been more stark than today. When the primarly difference between the GOP and the Dems was fiscal conservatism, I could have seen many of their candidates as viable. Looking at the term 'Rockefeller Republicans' now held in derision starting with Barry Goldwater and his strain of GOP party politics, these GOP's present civil and reasonable arguments against rising social spending and the welfare state.

Todays right is not just conservative but reactionary. You would have to go back to the 1960's for find such strident attitudes from the left. The GOP and its embrace of Trump, who by the definition of many conservatives is not truly 'conservative' is telling.

5. Greensleeves Hubs profile image89
      Greensleeves Hubsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi; I'm not American, but I thought I may as well give a foreign perspective, even though most of the ultra-conservative, fundamentalist Christian Republicans who seem to dominate the party today will not much care what people in the rest of the world think of them. But you must know that the majority of people in other countries regard the recent crop of Republican candidates with absolute incredulity because of their faith-guided and bigoted politics, their scientific scepticism, their insular paranoia and their overly aggressive mindset.

So it's good to see that several of those who have commented here - though Republican leaning - are at least Republican for fiscal policy reasons rather than for social reasons. Fiscal policy is a saner argument for supporting the Republicans than the social policies many of the candidates have seemed to espouse.

For the record, although I intensely dislike Donald Trump, I suspect he wouldn't be (quite) as bad a president as some fear, simply because he is first and foremost a businessman and self-publicist rather than an idealist - I suspect in power he would shy away from some of the nonsense he's spoken in recent months, and take a slightly more pragmatic approach than some of his rivals for the nomination might have done. Nonetheless, for what it's worth, I believe very few in Europe would see anything good in the election of a Republican president at this time.

Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I had to chuckle when you said Trump would probably take a pragmatic approach, if he attains office. If he attains office we'll probably have to tell him what pragmatic means. He probably thinks its some Italian dish. He's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

1. Greensleeves Hubs profile image89
          Greensleeves Hubsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

6. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

As a lifelong liberal, I miss the old Republican guard, too.  I am a pragmatist at heart, and while I am extremely progressive in my thinking, I recognize that we need rational conservative ideas to compete with rational progressive ideas.  Ideally, we should have intelligent, thoughtful people on both sides of the aisle, who promote their values but also recognize that good ideas are not liberal or conservative, but simply good ideas. 

I see this work all the time on a local level.  I would like to see it work on a national level.

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

America has politically grown into the second most  apathetical  population in the world  ,  There is NOTHING going on politically in America that isn't the direct fault of the American voter , his ignorance , his  needful entitlements ,  his  lack of reality !

The most apathetical  population in the world is a sloth !

When the majority of media is owned by the corporatism elite they control the minds of the public.

Lately Americans are waking up to the fact they have been spoon feed BS constantly. Being an optimists I hope they can slow down the suffering to come.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)