I started a Question on this topic a few days ago but I found the question format a bit limiting. The 250 character limit on responses are just not enough to explain details and respond to others of dissenting opinion. I decided to create this forum as a continuation of this discussion.
Topic include - Trump's inauguration speech, meaning of his election, the media's part in all this...of course the on-going protests...
Please be respectful of other's opinion. Let's educate each other and help make this a constructive exercise. Let's make HubPages be the new model of civil debate and help make our country a better place for all.
Jacklee, I applaud your commitment to civil debate. I will offer a few thoughts:
1. His speech had the themes of populism, nationalism and protectionism. I'm sure there are a few more isms, but that's a start. They sound good to the working classes, but they also risk trade wars, higher inflation and other problems.
2. The size of the protests surprised me, especially in places like New York, Boston, Chicago and Los Angeles. I suspect his opposition is stronger than he expected.
3. We can't debate "media" as a group because it has become too broad a term. I hope both sides can agree that lumping Facebook together with a conservative newspaper like the Wall Street Journal won't produce the kind of insights you are seeking.
That's a good start. Is there anything in the speech you find offensive as an American? regardless where you come from.
The problem with the current state of politics in Washington, under both Democrat and Republican control over many years have been the lack of attention by politicians to their constituency. That fact has lead to the "Trump phenomenon". His speech in 16 minutes, eviscerated those people sitting behind him. You can call it popularism or whatever but it is real. For too long the American people have been ignored. This was truth about our borders and about trade and about wall street... When the 2008 crisis occurred, wall street which created the mess, were bailed out and the American people paid with their taxes and NO ONE WERE INDICTED AND WENT TO JAIL.
Trump's message speaks to this.
The call to drain the swamp is exactly what is needed to solve the current problems in Washington.
I support Senator Cruz call to enact a term limit on Congress. It will be a good start.
I didn't find anything offensive in his speech.
It was interesting that George Will, a highly conservative columnist and Fox News analyst, thought the speech was "dreadful".
I agree with you about the 2008 collapse. Amazing that no one was indicted or sent to jail for it. But quite a few bank CEOs walked away with millions of dollars, much of it from taxpayer bailouts.
Jacklee kudos belong to your for initiating the thread.
1. Trump's inauguration speech was just so much red meat for his supporters. I will believe it when all that hard hat advocacy of his is actually transferred into policies that benefit the middle class, until then I remain profoundly skeptical.
2. This is the most unpopular President going into office since Abe Lincoln. I certainly do not want to confuse Donald Trump with him (exact opposites).The protests on the following day was global in scope and just as unprecedented. Hostility toward the press and negative public opinion have always brought down the mighty. If those numbers stay dismal areas he starts behind the eight ball.
3. I, too. wanted justice for the criminals of September 2008, but Trump is among the Capitalist class, lacking the virtue and sense of public obligation of say Kennedy or FDR? His record does not me make believe that would drain the swamp, on the contrary he would just fill it with more of the kind of cronies that we do not need.
4. I am generally in favor of term limits, but justlike the idea of abolishing the electoral college, it would have to agreed upon by all the states to be fair.
Thanks, I appreciated it.
Let me address a few points you raised.
Trump is not a politician. He is and was a businessman. One of my criticism of him during the promaries was that he was part of the corrupt system in the past by donating to politicians to gain favor... I am taking him at his word that he has seen the light and wants to change.
I will withhold my judgement till his administration had a chance to implement his vision.
The media on the other hand has been dishonest to some degree. Some of this came to light in this election as a result of wikileaks. You may argue that what wikileaks did was illegal but it did exposed the shinanagans that went on behind the scenes at major media house and the DNC...
So, Trump have put these people on notice. He will not allow them to go unchallenged. That was one of the mistake that the Bush administration made. They allow this dishonest media to frame the debate and in the end the people turned against Bush.
I can give you example if you want.
Going forward, I am hoping everyone just take a deep breath and allow a new administration to do its thing. They can criticize and dissent all day long once the policies are put on the table. That is the democratic way.
by Susie Lehto 17 months ago
In this video, Project Veritas investigators uncover a group known as the DC Anti-fascist Coalition plotting to disrupt President-Elect Donald Trump’s inauguration by deploying butyric acid at the National Press Club during the Deploraball event scheduled for January 19th.The meeting, captured on...
by Jack Lee 11 months ago
It has been almost a year since he left office. Though he seems to stick around DC and make his comments occasionally about policies...The question I have for all is this - what is your opinion of this President in his 8 years in office...?Overall, has he been good or bad for America?Please use...
by My Esoteric 5 hours ago
I was working on a different hub and in the process developed the following statistics about GDP growth throughout American history. Since George Washington, whose economic philosophy somewhat resembled those of today's liberals, there have been:- 10 periods where administrations who favored...
by Jack Lee 11 months ago
In discussions here on HubPages, a common topic arises when discussing the media. In most circles, people believes what they read and see on TV. That is why we Conservatives don't trust the media for providing the truth...because we know who we are and the media is mis characterizing conservatives...
by My Esoteric 12 months ago
The Ds lost their fourth special election. Some say those are Big Wins for Rs and Disaster for Ds. Other optimistic souls say each was a Win for Ds because they were close. While I tend to agree with the last statement, I won't go so far as calling it a win. Instead, I call...
by Susie Lehto 20 months ago
It has been under reported by MSM, but Donald Trump has always supported the LGBT community. Some of Trump's greatest online supporters are members of the LGBT, and are activist. At one of his yuge rallies, Trump was given a rainbow flag by some of his supporters at the rally. ...
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners. Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners. HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc. HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.
|HubPages Device ID||This is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.|
|Login||This is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.|
|HubPages Traffic Pixel||This is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.|
|Remarketing Pixels||We may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.|
|Conversion Tracking Pixels||We may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.|