jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Has the right to protest been minimized or compromised?

1. Tim Truzy info4u profile image86
    Tim Truzy info4uposted 5 weeks ago

In a southern college town where White Nationalist gathered to protest the removal of Robert E. Lee's statue, a travesty occurred, killing one person. That individual was protesting the gathering of the Nationalist - others were wounded as well.
    Question: Laws have drastically changed the way people are allow to protest openly. Do you think our fundamental right as Americans to "peacefully assemble" has been altered under this administration? Under the Bush administration? Under Obama?  Keep in mind the protests of the Sixties and how law enforcement has responded in our current atmosphere and then.
    Should DJT had made a point of telling the Nationalist this would not be tolerated - much as LBJ did to the KKK instead of not mentioning either group present?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

Not unless you define "peacefully assemble" to include burning cars and buildings, looting, violence against people and general rioting. 

Problem is that "demonstrators" have figured out that they get more media attention that way.  So most large "demonstrations" become riots.

2. Tim Truzy info4u profile image86

Protesting here means the right to assemble as a group; violence must be dealt with by law enforcement. Do we have the right to disagree with our government openly anymore? This is not a pro-Nationalist question or anianything thought-since 911 are we more penalized for doing what we have historically done to make changes in our democracy.

I'm missing something here.  There are protests almost every day, somewhere in the country.  Where does the idea that we're penalized for doing it come from?

3. Tim Truzy info4u profile image86

Please read the question carefully. I am referring to a period of time that has passed as well as now -police now carry  SWAT equipment; protesters are treated as automatic criminals; if you have participated in a march lately - including an MLK Day March-you will see a ramped up presence that wasn't there just a few years ago. Was it only me or did the Patriot Act change the way we protest? Are we more afraid and therefore, surrendering our right gradually. It's a rhetorical question.

Have more "protests" become violent than in the past?  Do "protests" often deteriorate into riots?

The only answer possible is "yes", and because of that additional police are required.  Better yet if they actually stopped riots rather than just letting them happen, but that's life.

So, no, we are not "losing" the right to "peaceably protest".

2. dianetrotter profile image79
      dianetrotterposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

I participated in a protest with the teacher's union at the District office.  There were squad cars all over the place and police on foot.  We commented that it seems odd because we are professional people.  However...there are educated nuts out there too.

I'm hesitant to participate in any demonstration where people wear clothing or gear that suggests violence.  Hollering in the face of police officers is unacceptable.  They are doing their job.

Your purpose may be noble; however, you don't know who is out for blood.

4. Tim Truzy info4u profile image86

TTrue.  When I lived in a college town, we received the permits and followed the law: no cops during our protests - 1995. In fact, we were seen as doing the right thing. The new climate reminds me of what I've seen happen to protesters in Russia, Mamma taught us not to talk smack to the man with the black jack.,

5. aware profile image70
    awareposted 5 weeks ago

Keep protesters opinions on the sidewalk . why are people getting hit by cars? Because they are in the street.  This ain't rocket science. Its common sense.

1. promisem profile image95
      promisemposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

Yes, to a point. We could also say that people are getting hit by cars because an extremist is driving his car into them on purpose.

6. Tim Truzy info4u profile image86

That's the difference, Scott. This is more like the 1960's. You really better stand up for what you believe in now, your life may depend on it. It's dangerous.

working