jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

How Would Abraham Lincoln Have Handled North Korea?

1. AbrahamLincoln9 profile image61
    AbrahamLincoln9posted 2 weeks ago

How do you think Abraham Lincoln would have handled the North Korea crisis? Do you think he would have used nuclear weapons?

I recently wrote an article on this topic arguing that Lincoln would have used all measures possible to avoid foreign entanglements. But what would Lincoln have done if he had taken office at a time when the US was already a global superpower? What would he have done if he had inherited the crisis?

1. Credence2 profile image86
      Credence2posted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

Honest Abe was the epitome of discretion and good judgement something solely lacking at this place and time. Mr. Lincoln was a self-deprecating sort never to allow his ego to interfere with critical foreign policy. I admired how Lincoln during the Civil War never cared who got the credit for anything as long as things move generally in the direction that he desired. That is a mantra for my life!!

North Korea is a pip squeak, Lincoln would be more like European leaders who believe that the U.S. take the high road as a superpower instead of allowing itself to be intimidated by bouffant hair, pipsqueak dictator.

1. AbrahamLincoln9 profile image61
        AbrahamLincoln9posted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

I admired how Lincoln during the Civil War never cared who got the credit for anything as long as things move generally in the direction that he desired.

Excellent point and one of the reasons I believe Abraham Lincoln was ultimately successful.

2. Live to Learn profile image80
    Live to Learnposted 2 weeks ago

Trump bashing aside.

We have a nation which has repeatedly threatened war. We have a nation which has been caught in illicit weapons trafficking and which now has nuclear weapons to add to its offerings. We have a nation which has shot a missile over Japan, has kidnapped hundreds of people from several different other nations. We have a leader of that nation which seems to take some perverse pleasure in making sure we believe he is capable of sending a nuclear warhead to our shores.

What would Lincoln do? Probably not pretend that all of this wasn't happening. I would hope he would be working as diligently as I believe the powers that be in Washington are in determining how to address this threat without full scale war.

working