jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)

Brief Thought

1. Jessie L Watson profile image95
    Jessie L Watsonposted 6 weeks ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13849112.jpg
    If you're naive then you're always the victim. If you're always the victim then everyone else is always the monster. If everyone else is a monster then you become the greatest monster of them all.

1. Kenna McHugh profile image86
      Kenna McHughposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

People who take responsibility for their lives, in general, are happier. "It is in your power to point the way to a less dangerous and happier life."
      The Way To Happiness Foundation

Jessie L Watsonposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

That's a hard pill for many to swallow. We are linked together and every decision we make effects something on the other side of the world. Every time someone makes a bad decision, they make the world a worse place.

Most will interpret my post as "victim blaming" but the major point here is that we all live a universe that seems indifferent to us. If we don't have the imagination or the willpower to navigate through that on our own to the best of our ability, then we see the world as nothing but a landscape of power struggles. It's easier to relinquish responsibility and cast the blame. Everything's about blame anymore.

In addition to that, if everyone else is a perpetrator then the logical conclusion to that would be to wipe them out. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? Kind of a like the "final solution". That may seem hyperbolic but it's happened countless times throughout history under the guise of "social justice".

2. Ivan Hernandez profile image92
    Ivan Hernandezposted 6 weeks ago

Ok. You may not know about this, but I was planning on returning to college last year, but a stupid distraction of mine called forge of empires forced me to rethink my plans. That was more than a year ago. Now, I'm taking responsibility for my actions. I have more than $12,000 in debt right now, and have failed college both times. At the end of 2017, I said "enough was enough!" I became the victim of my own actions, not someone else's. I manipulated people into believing that everyone was against me for years, when in fact, I was against myself. Look where I am today. If I had told the group home to help me in college and used my computer for studying, then I would've had an Associates degree, maybe even a Bachelor's by now. So, I learned a very important lesson. In 2012, I had a 16-year-old mind. In 2015, I had a 17-year-old mind. This year, I should have the mental capacity of a 20-year old. That means taking responsibility for myself. With that, continue your discussion.

+1

Kudos to you for overcoming that. The internet is snatching up people in hoards these days whether its social media, gambling, or what have you.

You're still young and have plenty of time to iron all that out. 12,000 is both a lot of money and not a lot of money. Time will tell. Keep going. Sounds like you're waking up.

1. Ivan Hernandez profile image92
        Ivan Hernandezposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

I know. I already made a commitment to go back to college, improve my behavior, and make more articles.

3. Gregory DeVictor profile image97
    Gregory DeVictorposted 6 weeks ago

Sometimes I have to remember what role I played in a certain situation, circumstance, or event.

There was a guy by the name Alexander Solzhenitsyn who wrote a book called "Gulag Archipelago". He documented everything he witnessed all the years he spent in a soviet concentration camp. It's like 2,500 page book. There's 2 volumes. In it, he examines the roles he played and the decisions he made throughout his entire life and how it may have contributed to the way things turned out. He concluded that it's everyone's responsibility to make sure stuff like that doesn't happen. And it all starts with a victim mentality that spirals off into murderous resentment.

4. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 6 weeks ago

Isn't "most people will call this victim blaming" a statement where you conceptualize yourself as a victim?  You can't say never be a victim and complain of being a victim at the same time.

Hmmm. Nope.

1. psycheskinner profile image81
        psycheskinnerposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

So you're not a victim of misunderstanding, it's just that everyone misunderstands you.

Hmmm.

Lol. Okay.

2. Ivan Hernandez profile image92
          Ivan Hernandezposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

Nope. I'm trying to say that I've been manipulating people into thinking that I'm being abused by the group home when it is not true. I've been abusing them. End of conversation.

5. Gregory DeVictor profile image97
    Gregory DeVictorposted 6 weeks ago

“We're all sentenced to solitary confinement inside our own skins, for life.” - Tennessee Williams

+1

6. Kenna McHugh profile image86
    Kenna McHughposted 6 weeks ago

Gregory, Tenessee Williams knew how to write about angst. Great writer.

working