jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do American Politicians Really Understand The Politics Of Third World Countries

1. ngureco profile image82
    ngurecoposted 8 years ago

Do American Politicians Really Understand The Politics Of Third World Countries Like Somalia?

2. Lisa HW profile image72
    Lisa HWposted 8 years ago

It probably depends on the politician and on whether s/he has studied up the politics of any particular country.  It is possible for anyone to have a solid understanding of anything; but they need to know how to learn about it, and they need to learn both from experts and from the people dealing with situations on a day-to-day basis.

Depending on the politician's office and responsibilities, some have more need than others to gain a solid understanding of other countries' political situations.  A governor of a US state, for example, may not need to learn in-depth information about the politics of any particular third-world country. 

Can someone who has studied up and has a solid understanding of the politics of a Third World country really know what it feels like to live in such a country?  No.   Some personal experiences can only be truly understood by someone who has lived through them.  How politics "works", though, is something that the person with an interest or need to learn can learn.

3. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 8 years ago

I am thinking some of them have no clue. How else would Clinton fail so miserably when he sent in troops to take out that gun-dealer in Mogadishu. In respect to Somalia though ... it is all such a mess that I do not personally see any significant changes happening any time soon.
         The country has not had a working and stable government for about ten years I think. That is why Ethiopian troops cross over from time to time to "settle" things down. No good ...

4. vveasey profile image82
    vveaseyposted 5 years ago

NO. Most of them don't but many of them think they do.