jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Are Australians racist or has political correctness gone too far?

1. phoenixarizona profile image69
    phoenixarizonaposted 8 years ago

Are Australians racist or has political correctness gone too far?

After the Hey Hey it's Saturday incident that outraged the whole world I as an Australian am wondering what everyone's problem is. Seriously, It was meant to be a funny reindition of the Jackson five and the whole world is calling aussies racist?

2. stricktlydating profile image81
    stricktlydatingposted 8 years ago

Hi, I'm an Aussie too. I don't think any offence was taken by the majority of Australians to the Hey Hey Red Faces performance. I wasn't. They were doing the exact same performance they'd done years ago already.  It was actually an American who found it offensive and put it into the news. Harry Connick Jr was offended by the performance and said he wouldn't have appeared on the show had he know the act was going to be on. This bought media attention to it. There's since been some jokes about him having caused a stir. It is a light-hearted comedy segment. And the thing is this act was made up of Australians of various nationalities, who are all in the Medical field (They are all Doctors) and it's natural for them to not want to show their face. Many of the guests on Red Faces wear all kinds of different discuises, because they are regular people with regular day jobs. And it was meant to be a comedy sketch.  Harry didn't see the comedy in it. Who'd think dressing up as the Jackson Five would cause such a scandal!

3. Danielle Farrow profile image79
    Danielle Farrowposted 8 years ago

Political correctness is rather a strange beast. As is often the case, the meaning behind things needs to be considered and not just the method of expression. In that way, I don't think that this act / show was racist, and do think that a lot of reactions against it are rather ridiculous.

In a world where the colour of one's skin really does't mean anything (good or bad), anyone could wear make-up, etc. without offence.  To black- or white-up would be the same as putting on a wig or other adjustments actors make all the time.

This isn't quite the world we're in now, though.  I think the act / show may have been a bit blind in not spotting that a stir might be caused, particularly when people are a bit sensitive about the Jacksons even without any race connection, due to Michael's recent death. What they probably saw as a tribute, others could view as taking the mick (as it were).

4. olivertwisted profile image60
    olivertwistedposted 8 years ago

working