Why is "Battered Wives" An Accepted Social Problem Whilst "Battered Husbands" is

1. ngureco profile image84
    ngurecoposted 8 years ago

Why is "Battered Wives" An Accepted Social Problem Whilst "Battered Husbands" is Not? ...

An Accepted Social Problem?

2. pippap profile image86
    pippapposted 8 years ago

I don't think the problem is that battered husbands are not considered to be an accepted social problem; I believe the problem is that men do not want to admit that they are battered.

Our society expects men to be strong and silent.  No man wants to admit that he is either allowing his wife to beat him; or, worse, that his wife can beat him in a "fair" fight.  It goes against their ego and they feel that people will think less of them or even laugh at them.  If a man does admit to being battered, they very likely will never lay charges making this a lesser-known form of criminal behaviour.

Once the public becomes educated as to the frequency of this problem, I believe there will be more acceptance of the victims and more services offered to them.

It took awhile for battered wives to be recognized as a social issue, battered husbands is next.

working