jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why don't we annex Mexico?

1. John B Badd profile image61
    John B Baddposted 7 years ago

Why don't we annex Mexico?

I wrote a hub about it and am wondering why it would not work.

2. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 7 years ago

what gives you the right to just take over an independent sovereign state, that sort of thing disappeared in the 19th century.

3. profile image59
    foreignpressposted 7 years ago

In time this will happen. It's almost a foregone conclusion that the southern border will be erased. But for now there are too many complications for that to happen.
       For example, Mexico is a sovereign nation with its own set of laws, a Mexican Congress and president, its own currency and a fiscal debt that exceeds that of the United States. All of this would have to be dealt with. Further, the Mexican Congress is seriously corrupt. Are you advocating a peaceful takeover of Mexico or one that is forced?
       Internal problems in Mexico are rampant. Any country that annexed Mexico -- Spain has also considered the possibility -- would have to deal with well-entrenched drug lords and the Al Qaeda terrorist group which is also present. Any country that annexed Mexico would have a myriad of health issues to deal with among the populace. Tuberculosis is widespread there as are other diseases.
       Perhaps a better question would be: Why don't Mexicans change their country rather than demonstrate here? It's probably because a stable infrastructure is already in place here. Mexicans realize that changing their country would be like performing a gall bladder operation on yourself. It's easier to come here and make demands.

4. dabeaner profile image57
    dabeanerposted 7 years ago

You want that cesspool of corruption and failed customs, institutions, and IQ-deficient people?  It's getting bad enough here with all the illegal aliens dragging our culture and economy down.

5. John B Badd profile image61
    John B Baddposted 7 years ago

Mick, no one said anything about taking over a sovereign land.  Everyone would have to agree with it. 

Foreignpress thank you for your well thought out response.  The well entrenched drug lords and Al'Quaeda are a good reason to want them to join us, we could clean them out real quick.  It is too big of a mess to have at our south door if u ask me.  Id rather annex them and deal with the problems.

Dabeaner, I admit they have some issues that need to be delt with but I cannot question thier IQ's.  IQ is measured by the individual not the nation.  Thier literacy is 91% and that is not bad considering the conditions many of them live in.

Closed to reply