IAre some people just destinied for poverty or are we what we make ourselves?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. profile image48
    Yaliyaposted 13 years ago

IAre some people just destinied for poverty or are we what we make ourselves?

I just need a break and if someone has just a bit to give it would be most appreciated. I work 2 jobs seven days a week, have not been on holiday in 8years. All because l was stupid enough to ge a student loan while in university. I am knee deep in debts and struggle month in month out

2. lostdogrwd profile image59
    lostdogrwdposted 13 years ago

American is now the big con game and to suck out as much money out of someone as they can. the cost of education  at some school  is insane but more insane than that school is the student that get in debt for the school.you have to decide is if worth keep paying for a debt that not helping you pay your bills.and one thing I do know is you can,t work you way out of it. start writing  and instead of 2 jobs quit one and start a business and on your business while you still paying some debt get you business credit up. go to the SBA  for help on what business to start if you don,t know what to do. good luck. we are what WE MAKE OF OURSELVES. you have to make it happen

3. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

There are some very good financial talk shows on the radio.  There is a local one where I live; two national ones (USA) are the Dave Ramsey show and the Clark Howard show.  I'm sure there are others.  It might be worth your time to try to listen to one that you can find; they usually will take e-mail questions (or cell phone text questions) as well as actual phone calls.  They may archive their shows on their websites so that you can listen in on your own schedule or check them out if you live in another country.

Either one of these mentioned can help you look solidly and clearly at your current situation and the options that you have. They will know of a lot of possibilities that you may not have learned about yet.  It really does seem that with two seven-days-a-week jobs you would see yourself making some headway and not feel so discouraged. I strongly recommend that you talk with one of them if you are still struggling so much after eight years.  Helping people to overcome money problems is their specialty.

Maybe you could write a blog about your struggle to get out of debt - it would certainly be one that a lot of people need to read. I do know that there are others out there on this topic, but no one else has your specific perspective.  You have something unique to share, and there may be thousands of people who want to know all about what you are going through.

4. Gerber Ink profile image90
    Gerber Inkposted 13 years ago

I agree with what Aficionada says, the Dave Ramsey show is an excellent source of information on how to get yourself out of debt while retaining your sanity.

Are you working in the field you received your degree in?  If not, focus on fulfilling that dream and hopefully in doing so, increase your income.  The old addage is that if you do what you love, the money will follow.

If you like to write, you can earn some extra bucks on DemandStudios.com- they pay twice a week.  It might be more fun and you could possibly quit your least favorite of your two jobs.

5. bill yon profile image71
    bill yonposted 13 years ago

Look deep into yourself and find something you can do.Start your own business.If you don't have any ideas do some research and you will start to get ideas.look around your every day enviroment and watch what others are doing.here are a couple of ideas,1.Buy some clothes are something wholesale,go to your local flea-market every Sat. or Sunday.and sell some stuff.you can make a few hundred dollars a week end doing this,depending on what you sale.or get some stuff whoesale and find consignment stores and place your products on their shelves.2.start your own janitorial business,buy a buffer a good vacuum cleaner and other supplies get a old van/pick up truck,get your bonding insurance,and start searching for accounts,once you land a couple of accounts then you are own your way.Most of the cleaning is done after the business closes so you have from closing till open to get the job done.you can make a full time income doing this part-time.you went to college so you're no dummie you just have to expand your mind and search for a better way.its all about risk and chance.You have to be able to risk failure to have a chance of tasting success.

6. Rich.Ok profile image58
    Rich.Okposted 13 years ago

God is not unrighteous is what an holy book once said. And I believe it is true to this day. No, no one is destined to be poor. It is our choices that take us to where we are.
    But do not regret taking your student loan as you got value for it greater than the physical dollars - your education. With that you can conquer anything if you do not give up! Determine to pay your loan back so that other students who are in need of it may draw on the funds too.
    Back to your situation, though you wrote 5 months ago; as I said you need to review your choices. Like the loan, there were probably many other students who took the same loan at the time you did. Yet your experiences are different. What might account for this could be your disposition, your orientation, and your vision for your life - what you expect of you!
    What do you spend your money on? Are they that needful? Can you do without some of them for now? Do not go spending all your tomorrow's money today, you'll be yoked.
    Your having 2 jobs presupposes that you are not lazy. While 'hard-working' is good, these days you need to work smart. By that I'll like you to consider if you could not be doing something more productive with the time you spend on the less favoured of the two jobs you have.
    Really to the point, you should reorganize yourself. Reset your priorities. Do not let all the show around these days get you living a life not meant for you. If you are not earning more, then cut back on your expenses, and you will be amazed at how much savings you will create.
    Never spend all your earnings as a principle. Keep some of it aside regularly. Yes, even though you say it is not enough. You should also give to charity. It draws good to you by way of winning ideas and networking. Believe me, you can still give from where you were standing 5 months ago. All the big shots have foundations and trusts. If you will be rich you must have tributaries from which they flow to others. You can't get rich keeping it all to yourself. That's the way God planned it.
    Then, with all these rearrangement going on with you, your eyes and heart will open up to entrepreneurship - whereby you seek to create wealth yourself not waiting to get paid salaries.
    Best wishes. Hope you get there!

7. profile image0
    VeronicaInspiresposted 11 years ago

I don't believe anyone is “destined” for poverty. Poverty is not what God ordained for anybody.

The Bible says, “For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11

A lot of times, people can't help the circumstances they're been born into or thrown into – the cards that they've been dealt in this life – but you do have a choice in how you play your hand.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)