jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do us citizens have to carry a passport under sb 1070 law?

1. profile image46
    normoesposted 7 years ago

Do us citizens have to carry a passport under sb 1070 law?

I hear all kinds of stories about what kind of ID will be required under the new Arizona law SB 1070.  I just wondered what the real truth is.

2. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 7 years ago

I don't know what the law says, but if I lived there I'd want to carry anything and everything I could.  It's not that you couldn't eventually prove who you are, but an unfriendly cop could mess up a good part of your day.

3. kschang profile image88
    kschangposted 7 years ago

As far as I know, there is no Federal law that says a US citizen must carry passport within the US.

However, it *is* legal to for police to ask you for Federally acceptable ID if a legal stop has been made (for speeding, broken taillight, etc.) And Federally acceptable ID includes driver's license, state ID card, passport, and such.

The confusion is from the "gray area" in the law. The law requires LEGAL residents and visitors to carry Visa/passport/resident alien card (ie green card) at all times. So if you don't have it, you are either unauthorized alien or US citizen.

On the other hand, it is an infraction to NOT carry driver license in every state that I know of, and possibly a misdemeanor.

If you refuse to provide ID, you will be detained until they can verify your identity, just as anybody who refuse to cooperate.

4. ptosis profile image81
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

It's not a driver's license but photo ID.

If they are giving you a ticket for jaywalking and don't have a photo ID then can arrest you, so they can fingerprint you and verify your identity.

New AZ laws just says check if you are undocumented before releasing you from jail. ICE policies says will let you go even if undocumented, only keep the "worst of the worst' to process.

5. profile image44
    almigthychaiposted 7 years ago

if the color of your skin is black, white, or yellow, then you have nothing to worry about. just stand up tall and walk the streets like you own it, because your gov't does, and according to law, you are your government.

6. profile image47
    MARIAMORTAposted 7 years ago

It is your Country. I was hoping you could tell me. Well, why in a hell do they attack me criminally, CIA, government, since end of 2001, please?
    I am currently slaved with a CIA biotech.

Pls help anyway you can. Your Country is obviously insane.

Now that I helped you, pls make me die having human justice.
    Am slaved, tortured, brain-washed, and etc., for astonishing amount of time: About ten years. One of the only survivors who got to put websites and all, who got to know she is slaved by US biotech, and etc.
    Rush to help. See page on how to help, pls.
    Address is hubpages.com/profile/MARIAMORTA

working