jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Should we reject the American way of life?

1. edmondpogi profile image60
    edmondpogiposted 7 years ago

Should we reject the American way of life?

now this could raise eyebrows...

2. Rochelle Frank profile image95
    Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago

It  would depend upon your definition of "the American Way of Life". If you are thinking along the lines of the traditional constitutional ideals like liberty and justice for all, free enterprise,  the rights granted by the bill of rights, and that the government should derive its power from the consent of the governed. Then I'd say we should not reject it.

3. KewlWriter profile image75
    KewlWriterposted 7 years ago

America is Awesome. There is so much freedom here. It only depends on the individual whether to make use of these "American" liberties as I call them either for good or bad. It all depends on the individual because after all a nation is nothing but a composition of its people.

4. Tusitala Tom profile image60
    Tusitala Tomposted 7 years ago

This is a very nebulous type of question: the American way of life- to what do you refer?

As an Australian, I can't speak from experience of what it means to be an American.  But I can take a guess.  Look at the freedoms in America and compare them with some of the restrictions in so many countries.   America's founding fathers, those people who way back around 1776 came up with the tenets by which future Americans might live were wise men indeed.   What they wrote and brought into law has stood the test of time.

Of course, it must be remembered that back then, all women folk, plus Red Indians, and Negroes were regarded  as something 'less than free men.'   However, this has gradually been rectified over the years and continues to be.   Things are getting better, no matter what the media tell you.   So why would you want to reject your way of life?

5. Lisa HW profile image71
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

If you are an American and/or live in America and don't like the principles on which the nation was founded, then you can, by all means, move to another country that suits you better.  If you're an American, want to become one, appreciate American principals and values,  and live in America - then why would you want to reject the American way of life?

If you live in a country other than America, you can (if you have the freedom to do so in your country) either reject the American way or life or embrace it.    If you live in a country where you don't have the option of embracing an American way of life, then this question is pretty much moot, isn't it.

6. Mr. Happy profile image83
    Mr. Happyposted 7 years ago

Yes, this question does raise eyebrows because you have not been clear enough on what you mean by American way of life?
    Are you talking about eating McNasty every day or about the violence which is part of everyday life in movies, cartoons, politics, etc? Or maybe you are reffering to the blind acceptance of the crooked facts which the corporate media feeds the American citizens?
    Perhaps you were thinking of the habit of consumerism which has been drilled into people's lives throughout the States ... not sure but I reject all these things and more ...

7. Wayne Brown profile image83
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

In favor of what?  The basis for rejection would be that you have discovered something better.  We have our issues but I would doubt there are many cultures in which the liberty, freedom, and enjoyment of life are significantly better.  Thus, to reject the American way of life might be a poor choice. WB