Can past abuse/assault effect your sexual orientations?

1. Invisiblestats profile image59
    Invisiblestatsposted 7 years ago

Can past abuse/assault effect your sexual orientations?

I was abused as a child..I often wonder if the effects of that has contributed to being being a you think abuse/assault can change your sexual orientation?

2. eslevy17 profile image59
    eslevy17posted 7 years ago

I've seen a few different answers, but this one says there's no link: … rientation

Though I've seen another quote saying sexual abuse can change orientation, but only in men, or that they were at least more likely to experiment. I've seen people researching the correlation between being abused and becoming abusers, so I suppose as long as you steer clear of that you'll be ok. You are who you are. Besides, the vast majority of LGBT people were not abused, so it's not like abuse is what's creating them. Hope the scars have healed though.

3. d.william profile image74
    d.williamposted 7 years ago

First of all sexual orientation is a genetic condition, in spite of all the rhetoric otherwise.  Abuse/assault can change your perception of the gender causing the abuse, in that you become distrustful, guarded, etc., but sexual orientation is not a condition taught or learned.  It is genetically determined.  There ARE circumstances when same sex attraction is acted upon without being born a homosexual.  We are all sexual beings,  (part of life itself), and if you are incarcerated, or otherwise forced to be put into the company of same sex individuals on a continuous basis, the physical part of intimacy manifests itself.  When out of those conditions, the emotional part (love) will go where your are genetically programmed to be.  There should NEVER be any shame or guilt placed on any relationship.  Sexual or physical.  To have a close, loving relationship with another person is precious and should never be devalued by someone else.