jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do You Think Our Government is to big and filled with a lot of useless causes an

1. Sinbadsailorman profile image76
    Sinbadsailormanposted 7 years ago

Do You Think Our Government is to big and filled with a lot of useless causes and departments?

If so, Name the Useless Departments and why you think they are Useless.

2. justom profile image69
    justomposted 7 years ago

The Senate, The Congress, The Dept of Defense, it goes on and on... All power to the people!

3. wingedcentaur profile image86
    wingedcentaurposted 7 years ago

Understand that I'm not mad at you, Sinbadsailorman, as I wirte this: But it never ceases to amaze me how we are always asking this question about government (the one institution that is potentially open to change by the people for the betterment of all) as opposed to asking this about the corporate structure, where the real seat of power, in many ways, seems to be.

This shows the power of the corporate world, to my way of thinking. Whenever there is a problem, what do we do? We send blame downwards. We ask things like: Are the auto unions being "unreasonable?" Are those auto workers making too much money? Are public school teachers making too much money?

I don't recall ever seeing the teacher bashing that's going on, so bad as it is today! And how much of what we perceive as a "bloated" government really the accretions of private power a la the privatization of everything like the military (i.e., Blackwater).

There's a very good book about the nature of the power structure in the United States I would recommend to you called "Who Rules America?" by the sociologist G. William Domhoff.

Alright, I'll leave it there. Sorry to rant.

4. Sinbadsailorman profile image76
    Sinbadsailormanposted 7 years ago

justom I have to disagree with you here.  These are necessary evils for our country, some power needs to be a governmental issue The Supreme Court the House of Reps the Department of Defense, I am not Barking at these Big Boy departments that have been a mainstay but all the new little departments added yearly.  I am Barking at all the little ones that the individuals states should be taking care of for themselves.   There are so many its over whelming to try and list them all I was looking for the ones people are having a problem with per-say. I don't want to lead any one any where I want to see what they are coming up with, and why they think this is the case.

working