jump to last post 1-22 of 22 discussions (22 posts)

If you could improve the world today by removing one signifigant piece of histor

1. Jeremey profile image59
    Jeremeyposted 7 years ago

If you could improve the world today by removing one signifigant piece of history, what would it be?

What do you believe would result from the lack of that piece of history?

2. villanueva21 profile image78
    villanueva21posted 7 years ago

War I would love that thing go away. It has destroyed the human race, made us look hope less, people turning against each other.

3. Tony Ballatore profile image61
    Tony Ballatoreposted 7 years ago

It would be the birth of superstition.   We have always found it all too easy to kill each other in the name of this superstition, or that superstition.

4. L a d y f a c e profile image78
    L a d y f a c eposted 7 years ago

9-11. I'm not one for removing anything. If you remove something, you also remove the lessons and experience gained from said experiences. However, many innocent lives were lost in this tragedy, I'm sick of politicians using this as leverage, and sick of the racism it propels.

5. Jennii Dawn profile image56
    Jennii Dawnposted 7 years ago

So very many bad, bad things have been done in the name of religion.  And any good that has been done would have been done most likely whether or not it was ever invented (disagree?  Athiests are usually some of the most moral and nice people that you will ever meet). 

Having an imaginary figure to blame things on or to do horrible things in the name of is something that humanity could most certainly do without.  But sadly, it happened.

If it could be removed the world may be a much better place.

6. profile image53
    SpaceAgeposted 7 years ago

The haulocost

7. rachellrobinson profile image80
    rachellrobinsonposted 7 years ago

Roe v. Wade, 53 million lives lost- and they call it choice.

8. Coming of Age profile image59
    Coming of Ageposted 7 years ago

The discovery of oil and the subsequent invention of the internal combustion engine.

Many are fond of saying that wars have been fought in the name of God, but certainly more than a couple over the last century have been fought over petroleum. The Japanese would never have attacked Pearl Harbor had it not been for oil, and our having attempted to keep the same from them. That's the same petroleum that we have constantly spilled into oceans around the globe, and have clouded our cities with to the point of accepting "Pollution Indexes" as the norm.

The American Indian and many tribal cultures around the world not unlike them had the right idea. What we call progress will spell the end of our planet one day because we are addicted to our "creature comforts".

9. nighthag profile image84
    nighthagposted 7 years ago

I find this question quite interesting, I think I would choose to remove Hitler, the spread of his racist poison can still be felt in our modern world, decades after thousands lost their lives.

10. ladyjane1 profile image79
    ladyjane1posted 7 years ago

Im not one for removing things in History either but perhaps the crucifixtion of Christ....I honestly don't know what would have resulted but no one should be mutilated like that...he was a peaceful man, healing the sick, trying to spread joy and giving people advice on how to live....people always want to destroy what they don't understand!

11. Jeremey profile image59
    Jeremeyposted 7 years ago

I would remove FEAR! It holds us down, it blinds us, it makes us vulnerable. it eats us alive from within and in self-destructing. It keeps us silent, lllets us get walked on, enables us to be taken advandtage of, it prevents achievment, prevents freewill, quiets our voices. If FEAR was gone we would conquer oursleves and be able to live in such a different way that would lead to less of all that is wrong in this world. What do those who have done "bad" have in common? They have given up their fear! The "good" must somes times fight fire with fire and play an eye for an eye as many of "history's heroes" have done!  DOWN WITH FEAR!

12. profile image48
    Mohammed22posted 7 years ago

I will remove any one started awar or help tart it

13. donkeyz1 profile image61
    donkeyz1posted 7 years ago

President Museveni of Uganda, and his pigheaded followers. His Anti-Homosexual Law that locks gay people up, or even worse puts them to death. If God told you not to judge, then why do you? If God told you not to kill a person, then why did you? Even if you don't believe in God, I would hope you had the heart and the intelligence to know that everyone deserves equal rights. Separate but equal does not work, ask any African American who had to ride in the back of the bus and go to different schools. Equality, now!

14. profile image0
    Deccan Chargersposted 7 years ago

I think i would remove hitler from the history .....

15. webspider20 profile image59
    webspider20posted 7 years ago

I would say remove 9-11. That was one day in history that won't be forgotten and even though it has changed many lives for better and for worse it is still hard to take.

16. cathylynn99 profile image75
    cathylynn99posted 7 years ago

i would remove the nuclear bombing of nagasaki and hiroshima. that is one weapon which never should have been and never should be again used.

17. Freeway Flyer profile image90
    Freeway Flyerposted 7 years ago

This is an interesting question, but it's really hard to answer. If you remove a significant event, it's impossible to figure out the repurcussions. Just think of all the sci-fi time travel movies and books that try to make this point.

But I will answer anyway. For the one event of the last 100 years, I would have to pick World War I. It was so utterly pointless, and it laid the groundwork for World War II, the formation of the Soviet Union, and the eventual makeup of the Middle East. So much of the history of the last 100 years can be traced back to the series of bad decisions that led to that tragedy.

18. ladyjojo profile image61
    ladyjojoposted 7 years ago

I would remove WORLD WAR II especially the holocaust part. It disturbs me deeply, i still see it as if it happened yesterday when i read books on it etc. Such cruelty my mind can never fathom sad

19. JohnBarret profile image59
    JohnBarretposted 7 years ago

I agree with LadyFace, removing history is also lessening experience. So, we may talk about future.

20. profile image46
    farmerjaneposted 7 years ago

Before giving my answer I want to say that I think the answers of events in the last decade show lack of perspective.  Whatever your opinion of Bush or Obama, their behaviors pale in comparison with the truly major events of history.  And 9-11 was truly terrible, but a few thousand killed is a tiny fraction of the millions killed during World War II.  Suggesting that a few thousand deaths is worse than several million just because the event was more recent or the victims American makes no sense to me.  I would remove the first person which invented the idea that some people are more valuable than others and have the right to more resources and better treatment because they are kings, warriors, men, members of the home tribe, whatever.  Second choice: I would eliminate the inventor of war.

21. Jarn profile image72
    Jarnposted 7 years ago

I would remove the part where ocean dwelling creatures first began to explore the shores of land.

22. caycoltken profile image60
    caycoltkenposted 7 years ago

I agree on the remove the hitler dude.
    At first I want to say lets take away the nukes and chemical weapons. The loss of life and the aftermaths in Japan was horrible and I can`t even imagine what it was like.It is a huge shame it came to that ,It`s hard to understand what we can do to each other just over an idea or even religion.We also have to think that since their creation wars have been shorter and even some prevented.How many world wars can we handle?
    We also don`t experience the invation process that once was.We we don`t in the U.S. anyway.Don`t get me wrong I wish the nukes and all that stuff was never invented, we just have to think what it would be without them.

Im only 30 years old so I dont have much room to talk about war , and I hope I don`t offend any body.

I wonder what the world would have been like if we hadn`t lossed all those brave ,intellegent soldiers.
       What would the world been like if all  the resourses ,money,
    energy , and brave souls had been directed to saving the earth ,and making this a better place to live for everybody.
    We`ll never know, Maybe our kids generation will find out.

I want to close by saying lets never forget the soldiers who gave it all , and still are giving it all today ,and make their sacrifice worth something by doing the right thing.

Great question
    remember I`m just a plumber ,if I offended any vets it was not intentional.
    Thankyou

working