jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Which is "morally superior", as if there were such a thing?

1. shynsly profile image58
    shynslyposted 7 years ago

Which is "morally superior", as if there were such a thing?

Probably going to irk a lot of people, but... oh well.

A) a religious person who does "the right thing" out of fear of going to hell.

B) an athiest who does "the right thing" not in hopes of some eternal reward, but simply because it's the right thing to do in the here and now?

2. truebluewriter profile image65
    truebluewriterposted 7 years ago

I'd go with B, if there is such a thing as "morally superior" his acts would be in this case.

Although just to clarify, I am religious but I dont do the "right thing" because i'm afraid of going to hell, but because its the right thing to do.

There may be a lot of people who have similar thinking as person "A" in this example but were not all like that. If God literally spoke to me now and told me there is no hell or heaven and we all disappeared when we die, I'm not going to stop believing him or thanking him for giving me the chance to exist.

And I'm not going to wildly try to satisfy all my carnal desires just because there's no afterlife, like everyone in movies seems to conclude is the best idea when the world is about to end wink

3. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

If someone does the "right thing" out of fear then it is not a moral act so B wins by default.... i.e. as the question is worded, B wins.

If A does the "right thing" because they feel it is the right thing to do then it's a draw.

If B does the "right thing" only to feel morally superior then neither of them win.

It only shows to go you why some lawyers win cases... they ask better questions or see the pitfalls of a loaded question.

I'm an atheist.

4. BobbiRant profile image59
    BobbiRantposted 7 years ago

I don't think there is anything as morally superior.  Everyone should do the right thing whether they are religious or not because it should go by how anyone wants to be dealt with themselves.

Closed to reply