jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Prime Minister Harper said he won't re-open the capital punishment debate.

1. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

Prime Minister Harper said he won't re-open the capital punishment debate.

do you think capital punishment is what canadian's want?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4454523_f260.jpg

2. Doc Snow profile image95
    Doc Snowposted 7 years ago

I don't know what current polls say, but historically a smallish majority of Canadians have favored restoration of capital punishment.

FWIW, this Canadian opposes capital punishment, not so much because I'm concerned with the suffering of the executed as because I think that inflicting the penalty debases society morally and perhaps practically.  Secondarily, I also think that it's inherently prone to abuse and unequal application.

(In connection with the latter point, I find it really odd that many of those who argue with one breath that government can't be trusted to deliver mail, build roads or teach kids will argue in the next that it ought to be trusted with the power of life or death over free citizens.)

3. Amez profile image72
    Amezposted 7 years ago

I really can't see mankind taking this power unto themselves, without fear of what our creator might one day choose as a respond. Even though many today don't see that there was a creator, I believe soon all truths will unfold before his choosen children of the universe and all others will perish with the times. So if your a believer, our Lord God said unto us, Vengeance is mine, Judge not least the be Judged, and last but not least That what you do unto the least of my people you do unto me. So as always he gives us freedom of choice, but we must also be aware were to be held accountable to those we choose, for upon the day of our accountability we will be accessed for which new pathways will be made available to our continued journey through life.   Personally I like to keep all doors open, and do as best I can as I travel along the roads that lie before me here on Mother earth, for she keeps excellent records of our foot prints as an individual or as a society.

4. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

Well I can't stand Stephen Harper but I'll give him a thumbs up on this idea.

One thing we can be proud of, as Canadians, is we are much more civilized and civil than many other countries, including the one to our immediate south.

We still have to catch up to the Dutch and the Danes.

working