Do you think divorces are taken too lightly or rushed into?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. shynsly profile image61
    shynslyposted 13 years ago

Do you think divorces are taken too lightly or rushed into?

I've seen statistics stating that the divorce rate in the U.S. after 5 to 10 years is anywhere from 30-50%. What are your thoughts on that? Do you think it's good or bad? As in, for today's society, do we take marraige too lightly and too readily file for divorce, or is it more of a mistake to stay together if you just don't get along anymore. And how do kids factor into it, is it better that they see Mom and Dad split up but civil to each other, or together, but constantly fighting?

2. mr. daydream profile image61
    mr. daydreamposted 13 years ago

Marrying a person only a year (or shorter) within knowing them is far too soon. That's probably one of the main reasons for the high divorce rate. Like anything else in life, relationships take time and work to be successful.

3. legallchew profile image58
    legallchewposted 13 years ago

i think divorce has become common and it shouldn't be.

most people who filed for divorce are just confused and some did rush into marriage. and for those who didn't one or both would probably be in jail if not dead.

4. profile image0
    Edliraposted 13 years ago

In my opinion, yes, sometimes people rush into divorce a bit too quickly, not having given their relationships all chances for it to work.
    A relationship is hard work and if you don't expect this already from the honey moon stage, than you re up for a bitter surprise.
    Some are fast to run in search of greener pastures, just to find out, once there, they weren't that green afterall. And if kids are involved that means you should be even more careful and considerate before you take your decision.
    I am not a fan of "everything for children's sake", becase just staying together (while still toxic to each-other, and not caring) won't give them the safe and healthy environment they need to thrive and be happy. But, everything possible (to the point of not losing yourself in the relationship)  should be done to make a marriage work before it is thrown on the divorce attorney's table.

5. C.V.Rajan profile image59
    C.V.Rajanposted 13 years ago

It is true that marriages are taken too lightly now a days and people are indeed rushing to get divorced. I can guess several reasons for it:

1) Womenfolk are increasingly becoming less and less patient.

2) Financial freedom, education, independence, thrust on equality, seeking fun in a level playing field as men as regards sexual behavior -- these are the reasons for women becoming less and less patient.

3) Men's temperament and mentality seems to remain almost same across generations. But, women have changed very drastically.  Women of previous generations were handicapped on account of lack of freedom, equality, financial independence etc etc and in order to protect themselves, they had to depend on men. That dependence gave them patience, love, loyalty, dedication, fear and the need for social respectability.

4) The more women got and the better they became, the worse became their relationship with men.

6. roadrockafella profile image61
    roadrockafellaposted 13 years ago

I think it's being treated more of a commodity nowadays since it's just plain convenient. People consider this because it is provided as an option to them. In addition, the context of the social norm dictates divorce if it is acceptable or not.

Marriage is taken as a vow and life long commitment. A couple should be married if both parties are prepared for a life changing event. You don't live for yourself anymore, but with a person and the family that you're gonna have.

I think they should make a rule that you can only get married once in your life, unless you are widowed or something. I'll bet the rate of divorce will significantly drop. smile

7. Wayne Brown profile image81
    Wayne Brownposted 13 years ago

Divorce is a tragic circumstance and one that cannot be appreciated unless you have endured the process. There are no winners...except the lawyers.  At the same time, the system involved in some states is absolutely agonizing. I have a close relative going through a divorce in a nearby state. She is basically sitting there watching her future ex either leverage or consume all the assets they accumulated over time. Meanwhile, the court system does nothing and has no particular schedule in terms of getting the divorce to the judge. The assumption is that if they are made to wait that they will eventually come to an agreement and the judge will not have to rule. Meanwhile, the assets are being consumed and all the judge will say when it finally does go to court is, "I am sorry but there is no way to undo this".  Many of these systems need to be revamped to a reasonable level of fairness and protection for both parties and the children as well. WB

8. tenordj profile image63
    tenordjposted 13 years ago

I think the divorce problem is something that has just become accepted. I think it stems from people rushing into marriage and taking the commitment of marriage seriously. I understand some people just cant get along and it happens but I think some just decide to give up way to easily.

9. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

From what I've read (when researching for writing about divorce), the statistics are misleading.  They factor in all marriages, of course; but that means including second and third marriages, as well as marriages that took place when the couple was under twenty-five and even under-twenty.

Long story short, there's a very high divorce rate for third marriages, and the rate for second marriages is high (just not quite as high).   There's also a high rate of divorce among people who marry young (early twenties), with a slight decrease for people who marry between 25 and 29.

What these statistics suggest is that people with second and third marriages account for a good-sized part of the divorce rate.  The reason those marriages fail are most likely related factors/complications associated with non-first marriages.  The statistics also suggest that people who marry young (very young, but even in their late twenties) have a higher rate of divorce (not anywhere near as high as second and third marriages).  I'm guessing it's because people in their twenties are still young, there's a good chance they don't have a good reading on what real love is and what a good relationship when they're choosing their partner.

The divorce rate for people with first marriages in their thirties is actually fairly low (like 6%/8%, depending on whether it's men or women).

Some people may get divorced too quickly, but I don't think that's the reason in most cases.  As far as children go, I think it depends on the people involved, the situation, and any number of other individual differences.

10. Jarn profile image60
    Jarnposted 13 years ago

Nope. I think it's weddings that are taken too lightly and rushed into. People take a little more care about who they wanna spend the rest of their lives with, maybe they won't realize a couple weeks later that they screwed up. I mean, come on, I've known guys who spend more time looking for a car than they did a spouse for crying out loud.

11. Borsia profile image41
    Borsiaposted 13 years ago

No. Once you know that it isn't going to work and have lost the desire to fight it you should get out with as little time wasted as posible.

12. Mark Upshaw profile image60
    Mark Upshawposted 13 years ago

They are taken too seriously and should be handed out like tickets, lottery tickets that is.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)