jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

should capital punishment be carried out faster?

1. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

should capital punishment be carried out faster?

i've heard of convicts being in jail for 20 years before being executed and it seems stupid to me.

2. sueroy333 profile image79
    sueroy333posted 7 years ago

Yes. I think it's important to be sure, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the guy, or girl, is guilty of the crime. After that, there should be no waiting around.
    Get 'er done!

3. Eztransfer profile image61
    Eztransferposted 7 years ago

it may be a better deterrent to violent crime, if we return to immediately hanging guilty parties on the courthouse lawn.

4. Wayne Brown profile image84
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

I think it needs to be a relatively efficient process although we must give consideration for the due process of appeal and in this day of DNA, we need some space to be sure that we have the guilty party.  That takes time, so I am not sure that we can convict anyone and expect the punishment to be carried out in the near future...WB

5. onlinearticlespk profile image58
    onlinearticlespkposted 7 years ago

Capital punishment purpose was to discourage crimes and setting an example for others that such crimes are not tolerable but if capital punishment is not serving this purpose then definitely it must not be carried out fastly.Because tme gives victims family an opportunity to think about.

6. 50GerrardGirl profile image58
    50GerrardGirlposted 7 years ago

Coming from someone who is unsure of whether or not the death penalty is a proper form of punishment I do believe that the process should not be immediate.
    There have been innocent people convicted of a crime and put to death only to find out 5 years after their death that they were innocent all along.
    I'm sure someone who has lost a loved one to crime might think differently but I believe that anyone who could commit such terrible crimes should suffer the consequences for the rest of their lives in an isolated cell.

7. Beege215e profile image67
    Beege215eposted 7 years ago

Yes. If all scientific testing is done and the individual is found guilty by a jury of twelve that have been given all the evidence.  Or if a person is witnessed and caught at the scene of the crime so there can be no doubt, then we need to carry out the punishment that has been deemed appropriate and necessary immediately. It serves no purpose to have such a punishment if we fail to use it.  Either do it or do away with it. All imprisionment was originally designed to punish the criminal, to keep them away from and protect society. The death penalty has been considered and used for centuries to permanently remove the most vicious persons that are determined to be unrepentant and incorrigible.  And swift enforcement of the law has been shown to be the strongest deterrent.

8. Ralph Deeds profile image63
    Ralph Deedsposted 3 years ago

The United States should join the rest of the civilized world and abolish capital punishment. This discussion reminds me of the debate over the relative merits of hanging, burning and flogging in Voltaire's "Candide." In the best paragraph toward the end of the book, Candide's friend, who had been sentenced to die for heresy, escaped death when the noose slipped. Candide commented, I recall, "that priest hasn't had much experience with hanging. His specialty is burning."
    That says it all.

working