jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why was Facebook blocked in Egypt amid protests, a day after Twitter was?

1. ross670daw profile image70
    ross670dawposted 7 years ago

Why was Facebook blocked in Egypt amid protests, a day after Twitter was?

Governments obviously believe these social networking sites have a lot of influence, to actually ban them whilst in the midst of protests. Why should they be able to remove peoples right to communication and free internet access, it's for no other reason than to 'big brother' their population. I mean, people still have mobile phones don't they?

2. Moon Willow Lake profile image79
    Moon Willow Lakeposted 7 years ago

I think it was wrong and extremely scary.

The article that I read on it was on Yahoo! and can be found here:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/The-day-p … 5.html?x=0

3. 516Ads profile image60
    516Adsposted 7 years ago

Facebook was dropped in Egypt because it was working too well!!! It played a historic/ major role in galvanizing/ orgainizing the protestors!!! The government shut it down to stop/ slow down the communication!!! What they didn't understand is the backlash against that. You can mess with a lot of things; but don't mess with my internet connection!!! That can rile someone up!!! smile

I wrote a Foreign Affairs/ Facebook HUB; if you'd like take a look. Best Wishes, David

http://hubpages.com/hub/Foreign-Affairs-Facebook

4. profile image0
    bhaveshdhanani03posted 7 years ago

To stop the spread of news of revolution in the world.

5. Visual Hobbyist profile image62
    Visual Hobbyistposted 7 years ago

To be perfectly frank, the Egyptian people (and a lot of people around the world, actually) don't really enjoy the same freedoms and liberties to free speech like the people in the US do. Unfortunate, but true. It's a rare event to see the Egyptian people speak out so poorly about the President in such volumes; I don't think it was actually kosher for people to speak badly about the President, and sometimes suffered consequences. The government is extremely corrupt, as we are witnessing nowadays. The government even had a hand in forcing some of the mobile networks to sent out texts to the demonstrators--something that probably would not be okay in the US.

Basically, I think that the right to communication without censorship or alteration is something that these people are fighting for, too, with their protests.

working