Free Speech and the Importance of X

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (96 posts)
  1. Ken Burgess profile image76
    Ken Burgessposted 2 months ago

In a free society, all citizens must be able to pursue their own paths, set their own goals, and think for themselves.

In America people are free to express their ideas, even if those ideas are unpopular, unconventional, or wrong... in recent years our government, in collusion with Social Media giants like Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter tried to change that.

Here is an example of topics that can be found openly discussed on X today that will get little or no coverage elsewhere, its a reason why you should consider joining X to find news and information... it might not be allowed anywhere else you're likely to look:

The farmers of Europe are in the vanguard of the battle for freedom against an ever more tyrannical globalist establishment.
    https://twitter.com/EvaVlaar/status/1753409141798826404

“What Biden, Mayorkas, and the Senate uniparty in the swamp want to do is PREVENT the Texas AG and all other state AGs from acting as a check on the federal government’s tyrannical abuses of power." – Paxton
    https://twitter.com/MQSullivan/status/1 … 3438283181

UNRWA: "the agency will no longer have funding as of the end of February. So that means our operations would come to a halt during March. This has an impact on the 250,000 Palestine refugees that we estimate currently ... in Lebanon" - Dorothee Klaus, @UNRWA Director in Lebanon
    https://twitter.com/UN_News_Centre/stat … 5292140792

“With wars in eastern Europe and the Middle East already raging, and ties between revisionist states becoming more pronounced, all it would take is a clash in the western Pacific to bring about a crisis of global security unlike anything since 1945.”
    https://twitter.com/ForeignAffairs/stat … 9900563954

Biden: "The only reason the border is not secure is Donald Trump."
    https://twitter.com/EndWokeness/status/ … 9902240874

Why I'm interviewing Vladimir Putin.
    https://twitter.com/TuckerCarlson/statu … 1257475555

Be informed... not indoctrinated.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 2 months agoin reply to this

I watch news programs that aren't filtered by the powers that be.  The media only relays information that it wants the public to know, no more no less.  If the media decides to be more revelatory in its news presentation, there is an underlying bias in such presentation. 

Also, there is the context of so-called inflammatory speech.  On many outlets, one can't freely express his/her opinions lest it be considered to be hate speech.  Even the most innocuous remark, to some eyes, is deemed to be offensive.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image68
      Miebakagh57posted 2 months agoin reply to this

Seriously, I click on everyone of each link. This is what t get: 'Content blocked by operator upon request from Aovernment Authority'.                                       I'm in Nigeria. The last Administration of Nigeria, is against free speech. Seems the present agree.

Ken Burgessposted 2 months agoin reply to this

I am sure X is being blocked in some countries, and that list is probably growing.  The one thing that cannot be tolerated is truth and open debate in a corrupt or tyrannical nation.

The more they sensor our speech and access to information in America, the closer we get to being oppressed by a tyrannical and callous government that controls us rather than answers to us.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image68

Ken, truth is told.

3. Readmikenow profile image94
      Readmikenowposted 2 months agoin reply to this

I think the problem is the idea of free speech on the left is that they can say anything they want, spread any falsehood they like, and they should not be challenged.  If they don't agree with your speech, it needs to be labeled as false and a threat.

The left operates media much like Tass and Pravda is russia.

I've said this before, but it is true, the similarities between how communist russia runs itself and how the democrat party wants to run the United States is overwhelming at times.

4. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 2 months agoin reply to this

I know you realize what audience you are speaking to. Personally, I do not go to 'X', facebook, instagram, or others for  my news. Nor Gab, Parler, Truth Social, or etc. They require too much fact checking to sort out the BS. I don't have time for that with more important things in my life. But, I do find some are very entertaining to read when I pop in on occasion. I should note Facebook is for a community environment. I painfully unfriended the people who were too political seeking a more friendly feed.

Maybe, some, may say that is speaking from ignorance in the sense of not wanting to know. That is arguable in my mind. It is not willful ignorance as I see it. I get about a dozen heading to about twenty newsletters from media sources. They are pretty even between right, left, and center sources as well as special interest such as education. Plus, newsletters from Europe.

For instance, I get three Fox news newsletters and the same for CNN. Both throughout the day post bulletins keeping me up to date on daily current activities. So, does Daily Caller and others.

Just reading the headlines each morning takes well over a half hour. Then pick and choose a few to read the actual articles gives me well over an hour or more of coffee drinking time. Then come here and see what is happening and where the posts may lead me in searching out further info seeking clarification and sorting out the BS. I have to be done by 10am PST to watch 'The Price is Right'. Can't miss that. Need a smile or two now and then.

But, you are right and I agree there are stories or info not in the public eyes that is important not seen in the run-of-mill everyday media sources.

That is certainly a considerable amount of information evaluation.

I imagine that is more than most consider. 

I make mention of X because this is becoming a source of news and information that you may not find in other places.  I could be wrong, as I do not review news in the fashion you do.

Through X I do get official posts directly from the UN, WEF, WHO, many nations, businesses, and also individual or 'citizen' reporters.  So in that sense it is unfiltered or unavailable from 'normal' MSM news sources.

I'm not sure any MSM sources of news dependent on Ad Revenues will show truths like this:

Unelected globalist technocrat, Bill Gates, at COP 28: "The issue of food systems and how with climate change, a lot of farmers aren't able to grow their crops, which is a tragedy for them. We'll talk about using innovation to absolutely solve that problem."

Globalist doublespeak translation: Due to our deliberate war on farmers, a lot of farmers aren't able to grow their crops, which is a blessing for us, because it allows us to replace traditional agriculture with insect farms and fake meat laboratories, and assume total control of the global food supply, under the pretext of tackling "climate change".

https://twitter.com/wideawake_media/sta … 1799706969

OR this:

Nonbinary queer teacher wants the entire curriculum in every single K-12 classroom to be infused with gender ideology.

https://twitter.com/libsoftiktok/status … 2417123333

It is this type of information, free of commercial scrubbing, not pre-approved for public consumption that is interesting and gives a differing perspective.

5. Sharlee01 profile image80
      Sharlee01posted 2 months agoin reply to this

Yes... X has become a great forum where common sense lives. This is why I keep saying I have great hope that the tide has turned.   Social media is flooded with people that have truely seen the light.  Freedom of speech is alive and well and is being heard above all the nonsensical.

1. abwilliams profile image67
        abwilliamsposted 2 months agoin reply to this

I had a Twitter account back in 2014, I wasn't doing much with it, other than... allowing it to annoy me!
        I am back, now that Musk has taken it over & starting to get a little more active.

1. Sharlee01 profile image80

I stuck it out, and I am glad I did. I find the playing field has been leveled. Which makes the forum more attractive to me.

I had a Twitter account blocked by order of government authority. That render it inactive. I'll try to open a new account.

2. Ken Burgess profile image76

Where news you won't find on MSNBC is:

BREAKING: SPECIAL COUNSEL HUR REPORT STATES BIDEN COULD NOT REMEMBER WHEN HE WAS VICE PRESIDENT OR WHEN HIS SON DIED

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status … 8768439620

Ken, it's no secret that I've harbored concerns about Biden's cognitive abilities for years. From my perspective, his condition has deteriorated to a point that can't be ignored. The recent Hur report was compelling, shedding light on just how confused he appears. While I won't rehash recent examples, the instances cited in Hur's report were truly alarming. It's imperative that Biden be removed from office, and Congress must act swiftly. 

Failure to do so would only confirm what many already suspect: a lack of effective leadership both in Congress and the White House. I shudder to think what the world makes of our current state of affairs.

Hopefully, his family will convince Joe to remove himself from the job.

'Hopefully, his family will convince Joe to remove himself from the job'.                                  Really? Put the money on the table. I think you know that, that you know Joseph Biden, consider the presiddncy like a birth right?

2. Nathanville profile image93
    Nathanvilleposted 2 months ago

I’m fully aware of a lot of examples you give from watching British and European news and Al Jazeera, such as the protests by farmers in Europe; the funding issues of UNRWA; and the risks of the conflict in the middle east escalating etc. – and I don’t need to do so much fact checking that I would have to do with items on X – and I don’t have the time to “separate the wheat from the chaff” on X, I’ve got better things to do with my time.

Besides the sort of ‘Freedom of Speech’ that X promotes is a ‘Free for All’; which means speech that:

1.    Harms others, or incites harm to others, and
    2.    A saturation of unchecked ‘misinformation’, ‘disinformation’ and ‘fake news’.

That’s why I recently deleted my Twitter Account.

1. GA Anderson profile image90
      GA Andersonposted 2 months agoin reply to this

I like X. Your list of negatives is mostly correct, but all social media sites are like that. On X, viewing that stuff is a choice. You have a "Following" view that only shows posts from accounts you choose to see—by 'following' them (other sites may also have this *shrug*).

The junk of your list is in the "For you" view which is populated by X's algorithms. You probably know this, but I think your condemnation is a bit too broad to cover X as a platform.

My "Following" view is like Tsmog's morning newsletter list for news. along with a ton of science & technology accounts. Some junk may slip in (infrequently), but a quick scroll takes care of that.

I go to the  "For you" view frequently for chuckles and wows. Some accounts show how idiotic we can be, like; CCTV Idiots that have clips of dumb human stuff; FCK_ARND_AND_FIND_OUT(?) that shows idiots doing really stupid stuff; and there are also accounts like Figen that show some of us at our very best and nature at its most awesome.

Dissing X for your reasons is like dissing a library because it has a book section you (generic 'you') don't like.

As a note, I 'saw' somewhere (meaning I don't know if it's true) that if you linger as few as 2 seconds on a post the algorithm notes it as the stuff you like to see — so ya gotta be quick scrolling past the stupid stuff! ;-)

GA

1. tsmog profile image83

As with most social media sites a person in essence programs their feed with their activity including activity on Google So, basically no two persons will be alike. For instance, I am on Facebook a lot. I looked at a couple of sites on prostate cancer. Soon my feed was inundated with prostate ads or info links. I mean in only a few minutes.

I painfully unfriended all my deep political friends and most of the political groups I followed to make my feed more friendly to me. Of course, my other interests like NHRA drag racing has an impact. And, the friends I interact with.

For 'X' take a look at this article; How the Twitter (X) Algorithm Works in 2023 (Sept 22, 2023).

https://metricool.com/how-the-twitter-x … s-in-2023/

I'm not familiar with facebook but it sounds like the 'friending' thing is similar to X's 'Follow' choice. You're right, in both cases, users can choose not to see the dumb stuff (in their view) they think is harmful.

As an opinion, I think manipulating impressionable minds is more of a danger to youths on sites like Facebook than on X. I have the impression that X isn't popular with younger users. If that is correct, then the impressionable minds in danger are adult ones. A lot more personal responsibility should be expected from them.

Thanks for the link, but, after recently trudging through the immigration bill text my mind took a 30-second scan of your link and just said no.

GA

Tsmog, thanks for the link. It's a study. I've bookmark it.

I watched the two hour + interview Tucker had with Putin.

Biggest thing I came away from that with... Putin is intellectually competent.

Biden couldn't have kept that up for 10 minutes. 

Putin articulated an entire history of Russia and Ukraine, from memory, while being interrupted.  No it wasn't perfect, yes it was biased, but it was a better effort than I've heard from anyone not a historian/professor.

Even Trump in his present state of mind, I think couldn't reach that level about American history?

No, I don't see Trump as that interested in history, or how it impacts today.

He can be articulate, his speech to the UN was very well presented, especially for him, his first State of the Nation was as well, but Trump could not go off the cuff in detail like Putin did.

Biden at this stage, can barely string coherent sentences together for longer than two minutes. So, while Trump may not be able to give a history lesson for two hours, he is certainly way ahead of Biden on speaking coherently.

Years ago, I read Trump's State of the Nations Address. And I'm well impressed.                                   Even his first inauguration address impressed Ex-President Barak Obama.                             But these are public functions. And they're great hands behind these 'Great talk'.

This is true, same can be said for aforementioned UN speech by Trump.

That is why I made the distinction. I openly admit I believe neither Trump nor Biden are capable of being as articulate and factual as Putin showed himself to be in that interview.

I saw in a very recent ad where Obama joined Biden, and essentially did all the talking... it was a reminder to people, you aren't just voting for Biden, you are voting for a continuation of this Administration, with the likes of Clinton and Obama behind the scenes, helping out.

And of course I can't find a copy of it, despite having it pop up on my phone last night and having to sit through it.  Here is a different clip from that same time period, just a different message:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Y7-Ix_lu4tA

I think this is the message they will continue to subtly push in this election, you are not voting for Biden so much as you are voting for a continuation of this Administration, and the people behind the curtains making the decisions.  And... you are voting to keep Trump out, of course.

This is a very fair view.

Unlike news sites and email letters, you can Follow UN, WHO, IMF, BIA, CCP, FBI, CIA... literally who-ever you want, and get their posts directly.

You can also get 'citizen reporters', comedians, people like Elon Musk, politicians, etc. 

Its a good tool and one that should be used by anyone interested in getting the truth, not avoiding it.

3. Nathanville profile image93
        Nathanvilleposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Yeah, all social media sites are like that, to a lesser degree; which is why I don’t use them for my ‘news’ source.

Yep, I know how Twitter works; I had a Twitter Account for years, until I deleted it last week.

Yep, the statement in your last paragraph is correct.

Your analogy in your penultimate paragraph isn’t quite right in that in a library you just go the sections of interest to you, and generally speaking factual books tend to be well referenced and well sourced; while on social media undesirable material is ‘in your face’, and all too often so called factual articles are not well referenced and sourced.

Besides, ever since Elon Musk has taken control of Twitter he’s encouraged and promoted the spread of undesirable material e.g. conspiracy theories; and far too many people are gullible enough to swallow the misinformation, disinformation, and fake news propagated by conspiracy theories.  While in contrast other Social Medias, such as Facebook and YouTube are now taking greater responsibility to limit such trash.

What will be interesting to see is if and when Elon Musk falls foul of the UK’s ‘Online Safety Act’ which became law on 23rd Oct 2023.  The new Act, although watered down a little by the hard-right-wing in the Conservative Government, it still takes “a zero-tolerance approach to protecting children from online harm”, and protects adults from illegal content under British law; and places the “legal responsibility” on the Social Media platform, rather than the person posting the article to the platform: 

And if Social Media Companies fail to comply with the law the maximum penalty is $23 million or 10% of the company’s global annual revenue – whichever is the bigger.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-c … ecomes-law

In my view, why should I support a Social Media site that actively facilitates the spread of material that harms others, or incites others to do harm?

Well . . . okay. Are you on other social media sites?

GA

1. Nathanville profile image93

Yep, I am on other social media sites; namely Facebook, HubPages and YouTube smile

Yes, those sites are properly censored to ensure no unwanted information or opinions are allowed.

There is no difficulty with X... you can ban people you do not want to deal with, so that none of their posts show up in any thread you are looking at.

This is not a luxury you get in HP or YouTube. 

You can set your X feed to get only the content you want, from the sources you want... so in effect, you can block out anything you do not want to see.

It is a tool... it allows more Free Speech than any other Social Media platform.  It allows you to censor what you see, or don't see, as well or better than other platforms.  It connects you to other people in more convenient ways than Facebook or YouTube can offer.

Your local Congressman isn't likely to use YouTube or HubPages to communicate to his constituents... but he'll use X.

What I appreciate about X compared to Twitter is now I see a genuine presence of conservative viewpoints. It's become apparent to me that these users likely existed on Twitter but were suppressed, as I was many times.

And that same thing occurs on Facebook and YouTube today.

X (Twitter) is currently the un-censored 'town platform' where we can hash things out.  And find truth like this:

This is how Biden created crisis & chaos at the border & is now blaming on President Trump.
                  https://twitter.com/Pismo_B/status/1755993120456745396

It’s “criminal neglect” to spend hundreds of billions of dollars on a proxy war. It’s “criminal neglect” to secure Ukraine’s border before our own.

https://twitter.com/RobertKennedyJr/sta … 4322416932

We don’t have ‘local Congressmen’ in Britain, we have MPs; and their prime method of communication to their constituents is what’s called local ‘surgeries’.  For example, this MP is advertising that fact in this video on his YouTube Channel:  https://youtu.be/wg23eE1tHYM

Well, I don't know how things are done in the UK, and that is really not my concern regarding X.

Americans do not use YouTube for "instant" or "consistent" communication. 

If you want to get a message out to people, quickly and consistently, X is the common way to do so in America.

However many people, like yourself, have left X because they bought into the negative press it has gotten because it is no longer a FBI controlled, restricted, voices silenced Social Media site... twice as many have returned to it or joined it for the first time.

Myself for instance, I never used Twitter, long before the purges and censorship began... when they first started using Tweets from a decade prior to ban comedians and get executives fired, long before Trump (prior to 2016) I decided to keep away.

But now I support it, Elon Musk, and the effort to maintain some space where Free Speech is allowed.

Well - Each to his own hmm

2. GA Anderson profile image90

As proof that I don't know what I'm talking about, I've always considered YouTube a video-sharing platform, different from 'social media' like X or Facebook.

How do you interact on YouTube like you do on Facebook or X?

GA

Comments section
                Adding links to articles and other videos in the comments section
                You can subscribe to the content makers

YouTube (Alphabet/Google) scrubs a lot of content, either banning/removing the content, or demonetizing or 'hiding' it.

People like Jordan Peterson were banned from posting content on YouTube, just as he was banned from Twitter, until Elon Musk bought the company and reinstated his (and many other) accounts.

Oh well, live and learn. The few times I have scrolled through a video's comments I didn't find them informative beyond a characterization of the commenter. I also don't participate much on X either. I read a lot and chase a lot of links but an infrequent retweet is the extent of my participation.

GA

I am not surprised, X (Twitter) is not really something I enjoy using.

I went the entire month of January I believe without looking at it, had to do some gymnastics to figure out how to log back in as I didn't remember the password.

Its a tool.  A means of communication. 

When a primary communication tool that a former President used to use to communicate to everyone, bans a lot of people, restricts opinions and information it does not agree with, and eventually bans the President of the United States...

Well, that indicated something very wrong was going on... and I am glad Elon Musk threw away a good chunk of his fortune to expose it, and to re-establish X as a place where voices could be heard and debates take place... aka Free Speech.

Yep, technically you are correct, to a point; a lot of celebrities use YouTube to voice their political and social views e.g. Podcasts -and numerous celebrities have been suspended in recent years, including Russell Brand, who used to use YouTube vigorously to promote his conspiracy theories.

You can interact on YouTube via Podcasts, and using the Comments Page below the video.

Thanks. I'm getting the idea. 'Influencers' can be harmful, but censorship can be more harmful. A Conservative's perspective is that the "Twitter Files" highlighted that point.

GA

1. tsmog profile image83

How do you arrive with 'more' other than a subjective perspective. Should I take that as expert 'opinion'? I don't mean that in a foul way, only that perspective is just that a perspective.

Yes, the 'Twitter Files' demonstrated there are failures, but how do you track the mis - disinformation spreading across social media and the harm caused by that? It is said disinformation and misinformation spreads ten times faster than true reporting. That, for my subjective view point is 'Alarming'!!!

How misinformation on social media has changed news (Aug 14, 2023) by US PIRG Education Fund.
                    https://pirg.org/edfund/articles/misinf … ial-media/

It must be effective otherwise Russia wouldn't be investing in it as much as they do. It is said they allocated 1.9 billion on propaganda. Just pick an article at the next link a Google landing page and read it.
                    https://www.google.com/search?client=fi … media#ip=1

Censorship with social media has a broader definition than just the political stuff. Unfortunately, perhaps, the rules for one specific affects another. Then it becomes how to apply the rule, right? Yes, you can with pornography, but you can't with politics.

Not picking on 'X', but using them as an example for bot activity. For me I read the article next as a learning experience. Maybe consider it.
                    Bots on X worse than ever according to analysis of 1m tweets during first Republican primary debate by The Guardian (Sept 8, 2023)
                    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ … s-increase

"Our findings suggest that pro-Russian messages received ∼251,000 retweets and thereby reached around 14.4 million users." That is from Russian propaganda on social media during the 2022 invasion of Ukraine by Springer Open
                    https://epjdatascience.springeropen.com … 23-00414-5

I appreciate the intent of Musk with 'X' and am not seeking to criticize the new platform. I am just trying to make the point not all posts are innocent and the 'real truth'. And, it is like Speedy Gonzales on a Saturday morning cartoon. Or, the arrival of the twirling Tasmanian devil arriving. It moves not only fast, but quickly across the platform.

Yeah, that tends to be the American perspective; but in Europe we view things differently – Our view is that it’s not censorship, but ‘Freedom of Speech’ with ‘Responsibility’ (Responsible Freedom of Speech) e.g. in Europe we consider it irresponsible to post content (such as hate crime) which does harm to others, and or incite others to do harm – and removing such content is less harmful than allowing it to spread.

2. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 2 months agoin reply to this

"In my view, why should I support a Social Media site that actively facilitates the spread of material that harms others, or incites others to do harm?"

What is your definition, given the statement here, of what "actively facilitates" the spread of material that you find harmful?  Is it simply sitting by and doing nothing?  Is it treating every post the same, regardless of content? 

Or do you feel these sites are giving such negative posts extra help to be seen, help that other posts do not get?  Are the sites putting such posts at the top of a list to spread around?

It’s well known that sensational stories, which all too often are embellished with misinformation, disinformation, and fake content, travels much faster across social media (view clicks) than the more mundane, better balanced, mundane (boring) news.

What I mean by “actively facilitates” is as you said “simply sitting by and doing nothing”; when they have a moral and legal duty to weed out the harmful material.

1. Readmikenow profile image94

This is the same case with print media.

Lots of news come from newspaper syndicates and many of them are as bad a any social media site you mention.

Yep, a related forum just started by Tim touches on that issue smile

1. Readmikenow profile image94

Then, misinformation in the media is nothing new.  It's been happening for many years.  Social media just provides a new forum for an old happening.

Yep, “misinformation in the media is nothing new”; the problem has been around for centuries, and was rife in newspapers in the Victorian era - A prime example is this 19th century newspaper story about a Methodist Preacher in Texas: https://www.nathanville.uk/religion/pau … of-america

Just as biased, political, and misinformative as anything you will find on Social Media these days, for sure.

2. wilderness profile image96
              wildernessposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Then the next step, if "actively" means doing nothing, is to censor...with the question of what to censor up in the air.  Certainly "harmful material" depends on who is reading it and even truth does the same. 

Who would you suggest for the head censor - government, with it's own agenda and lies?

In answer to your questions:

1.    What is classified as ‘harmful material’, and therefore illegal in the UK is well defined under EU laws (that existed prior to Brexit) and UK Laws.  For example, in 2021 Ofcom defined ‘Hate Speech’ as:-

"all forms of expression which spread, incite, promote or justify hatred based on intolerance on the grounds of disability, ethnicity, social origin, sex, gender, gender reassignment, nationality, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, colour, genetic features, language, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority, property, birth or age."

2.    The Regulatory Authority in the UK who enforces such laws is Ofcom. 

Ofcom is an ‘independent’ government-approved regulatory authority financed by industry, not the tax payer.

Who is Ofcom and what do they do:  https://youtu.be/cdVUr-NrXng

3.    As regards the recent Online Safety Act 2024 (which gives Ofcom extensive powers to fine social media platforms up to 10% of their annual global turnover for breaches of the law e.g. for allowing ‘harmful content’) British Newspapers are exempt from the Online Safety Act, as explained below:

During the three months ‘Consultation Period’, prior to the UK Conservative Government introducing the Online Safety Bill to Parliament, British Newspapers submitted a joint statement to the Government asking to be exempted from the Regulations on the grounds of ‘Freedom of the Press’; and in exchanged offered to ‘self-regulate’.  The UK Government accepted the British Newspapers representation, so they are exempt from the new law, on the understanding that they will ‘self-regulate’.

Sorry Arthur, for deleting your Twitting account. The truth is that some fake news exists on Twitter.                                Equally, tangible information exists. More than 5 years ago, I had my account blocked by  Nigerian Government. Becavse I dare speak out the truth of a state  government not paying pensioners they arrears and gratuity, when the money was released.

Yep, but Twitter doesn’t make it easy for you to distinguish fact from fiction, and there is far too much fiction on Twitter.

Thanks. I got it.

3. Springboard profile image82
    Springboardposted 2 months ago

I would caution that many social media platforms are not actually sources of "news," but mostly opinions expressed. I think it is important to be informed by weighing in on multiple sources in order to find the truth.

It's like the issue of the border. With the bipartisan bill killed by the Republicans, the way this story is being spun is "Republicans want a secure border but won't pass a bill that does that." The truth is, the bill they can't support does NOT close the border and that's why it is dead.

In order to find the truth and the reasoning for killing the bill, one has to look beyond the headline.

The bill essentially just circles back to the same problems we're currently facing at the border. One notable change is that it places more decision-making power on the president to make prudent choices. Additionally, it adds to the already generous invitation for anyone to make their way to our border, with the possibility of being among the 5,000 individuals ushered in on any given day. In my opinion, the bill should have been seen as an insult to anyone who took the time to truly examine its factual offerings. It essentially serves as a postscript to Biden's invitation, offering a guaranteed 1.8 million and a free ticket into America.

I sincerely hope that Americans will pay attention to which legislators supported this bill and vote accordingly when choosing their representatives for Congress in the next election. It's important to also recognize those who didn't support the bill and made efforts to inform the public about its shortcomings, particularly its failure to offer solutions to our border crisis.

4. Sharlee01 profile image80
    Sharlee01posted 2 months ago

Free Speech and the Importance of X

Shrinkflation -  Hopefully Biden keeps the genius that came up with shrinkflation, and the video to ensure he got the word out.

I appreciate the freedom of speech afforded by platforms like X, but Joe's recent misstep—seriously, who advised him on that clip?—made me question his judgment. While YouTube took down the comments, X allowed Joe's post and the resulting commentary to remain. It's baffling who suggested Biden create that clip. Social media consistently reflects public opinion on Biden, fueling my optimism for Republican success in 2024. I mean he has very few minions defending him any longer on social media.   Really who would have advised Joe to make this clip? Freedom of speech lives on X.
    Keep it up, Joe! Build Back Broke!

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1756713597864988940

That was actually a decent clip, one I agree with, I along with many have noticed just that, 7oz packages being changed to 6oz, and so on.  Same price, same package, smaller amount.

Of course, if that were the biggest problem we were facing today, I am sure his deflection to blame companies for ripping people off would not be concerning.

There are bigger concerns however, his allowing the violence to escalate in the Middle East, how soon before we are again embroiled in a full war effort there?

And then there is Ukraine.

And the growing number of migrants with nothing more than finger-pointing and playing the blame game going on.

For all that people want to complain about Trump, he did do something, despite Congress, the UN, many individual lawsuits, etc. doing everything they could do to block his efforts to control the border.

You have to be willing to ignore a lot of bad policy and bad decisions to think the Biden Administration has done good, or you really must believe in the effort to do away with nation states and create a international corporatocracy that is not beholden to voters or nations... and being a warmonger thinking it is America's job to force other nations to submit to their authority and control wouldn't hurt either.

100% agree ---  While I'm currently in campaign mode, I must express my frustration with what I perceive to be utter foolishness. From my perspective, America is suffering greatly under Biden and his seemingly irrational agenda. It's disheartening to witness companies resorting to shrinking product sizes to maintain profits amidst rising wages and expenses. I'd rather see smaller bags of chips than witness companies facing bankruptcy and their employees losing their jobs.

Moreover, I find his attempt to divert attention with a political ploy to be utterly ridiculous. He looked so foolish.

Instead of falling for such distractions, I'm focused on managing my monthly expenses and grappling with the consequences of his policies, including the influx of millions of migrants, involvement in two very expensive conflicts, green initiatives, and spending bills that, in my opinion, are detrimental to our economy. Ken,  the list goes on...

I find Biden to be a confused human being and an embarrassment. I am hopeful that Congress will remove him from office.

5. Miebakagh57 profile image68
    Miebakagh57posted 2 months ago

The definition and interpretation of the same law by two diifferent countries differerntly is perplexing.                                   Why should America democracy differ from that of the UK? Why should the principie be interpreted differently? Except that it was Easthern democracy. But it's West!

6. Miebakagh57 profile image68
    Miebakagh57posted 2 months ago

The woman Spruce shouldn't be in that area she was sighted praying  and distributing anti-abortion fliers.                                              And it was clear to note and infer that her actions are a protest. The action is bad in itself. As a Christian, she should render unto Ceaser his dues.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)