jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Is faith important in maintaining a peaceful society? Why?

1. Wayne Brown profile image84
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

Is faith important in maintaining a peaceful society? Why?

2. kschang profile image88
    kschangposted 7 years ago

Depends on the type of faith.

Faith, ultimately, is about personal belief, but there are many types of personal belief. It depends on how the belief is acted upon.

If the belief is channeled into self-improvement then it is a force to be reckoned with and helps make a society better.

if the belief is channeled into "moral superiority" then it will result in conflict instead.

3. LoryRich profile image83
    LoryRichposted 7 years ago

Faith in a divine being who is love and good and who is within you; faith in one's ability to be good and faith in others, too; and faith in peace itself . . . these are the kinds of faith that are important to maintain a peaceful society. I perceive faith as some kind of a belief, an inner disposition, a kind of conditioning; thus, whatever we believe in, it will be so.

4. rishi-bhrigu profile image57
    rishi-bhriguposted 7 years ago

spirituality is more important than faith.blind faith has led to many problems in society through out the ages,

5. Reptarking17 profile image60
    Reptarking17posted 7 years ago

Faith in each other is what makes a peaceful society.  When every one learns to trust one another and strive for others to trust them then the world will truly be at peace.

6. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

faith in each other is important but as we see , it is quickly dwindling. too many people seem to need spiritual faith which is foolish as it in counter-productive and does nothing to help when it comes to each other.
    if people had the same faith in each other that they do in religion, the world would be a grand place.

7. Alison Rodriguez profile image60
    Alison Rodriguezposted 6 years ago

Faith is important in maintaining conflict among society/societies.  Religion is the number one cause of war.  Peaceful societies should appeal to reason and ethics so that it supersedes  potential appeals to faith that disrupt peace.

8. Bibowen profile image96
    Bibowenposted 4 years ago

If you mean a peaceful and "free" society, I'd say, "yes." I suppose that you could have a race of slavers and slaves without it and I think that's what you would have without religion. Without belief in God, there is no reason why the stronger should not subdue the weak. Without God, "might makes right."

1. kschang profile image88
      kschangposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The problem with that interpretation is while true, when you throw God into the mix, you end up with "us vs. them". Any one that believes our God is superior (and any one who doesn't deserves to die) Doesn't have to happen, but it does happen.

working