jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

i was told by a hubber that india is the most cultured country in the world, do

1. nightwork4 profile image62
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

i was told by a hubber that india is the most cultured country in the world, do you agree?

i know people from there that now live in canada and they have never said this to me before, so i'm wondering where this hubber got this idea from.

2. nightwork4 profile image62
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

jangaplanet, after reading your answer, i looked up the world's highest I.Q.'s and india ranked 61. i'm not saying people from india aren't smart but saying they have the highest i.q. is rediculous. no insult intended and it's nice to see the pride you have in your country but your claims are way off base.
    i have searched the net looking at india and i found that it has over 400 languages, the second highest population and 1 third of the poorest people on the planet. the problem i'm having here is that i know people from india and they seem to be generaly good people but when i'm on the internet, i find people from india seem to have an idea that they are superior to others. china's average i.q. is 12th in the world, canada's is 25th and hong kong has the highest.

3. philirodje profile image60
    philirodjeposted 7 years ago

I have lived near Indians when i was in Malaysia, Yes they are rich in Culture, though sometimes primitive .

4. Jeff Berndt profile image87
    Jeff Berndtposted 7 years ago

The problem with words like "Cultured" is that they don't mean the same thing to the different people.

India has a lot of languages spoken within its borders, and one can infer that a lot of different cultures exist, so yes, if you're counting the number of different cultures that exist within a country's borders, then India is very cultured.

If you're talking about refinement, poise, erudition, etc, well, that's entirely a matter of opinion. One person's idea of culture is another person's idea of boorishness.

5. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

What on Earth is the most cultured country supposed to mean?

By what standard?  By what definition?  It is a very ancient country and there is much variety.  Not all of it is good.

Some cultural values are quite horrific in nature.  I would not want to celebrate them... i.e the caste system.  It is India's greatest shame.

6. mydubaistay profile image59
    mydubaistayposted 7 years ago

I am sorry but no, I dont think India is anyway the most cultured country of the world.

7. Torch Harrison profile image82
    Torch Harrisonposted 7 years ago

Probably not.  But then, I'm an American....and from where I sit, culture implies civility, respect and appreciation for the arts.  In my book, CANADA wins.  Hands down.

8. RetailPrincess profile image57
    RetailPrincessposted 7 years ago

I'm not sure how you define cultured. Every thing is cultured in the same way. Personally we are outsourcing to India very much in America so they are smarter, and accept less pay. Bollywood is really neat and I love yoga. I personally do not like Indian food, some practices, or the music. I guess none of it makes sense to me, but to them it's beautiful and I can appreciate that! Also some of the best teachers and smartest people I know are Indian! Culture is all about how you define, and who defines it.

9. Freethinker79 profile image58
    Freethinker79posted 7 years ago

Oh yea, India is  rich in culture. A lot of it is unknown by westerners. India's cultured history dates back well beyond what we thing. India had culture and a rich history way back in early b.c. You can put them in the same conversation as the Egyptians and Mayans. Oh by the way India has more honor students than the U.S has students period.

10. Rehana Stormme profile image83
    Rehana Stormmeposted 6 years ago

If being 'cultured' means valuing age-old tradition and culture, India does seem to be one of the cultured places in the world. Even in this age of modernity, many aspects of Indian culture are still preserved, such as the cuisine and clothing. Yes, there are many Indians who wear jeans and t-shirts but there are also many more that uphold their traditional attire in daily life, like the sari. Also, fast foods such as fries are not as popular in India as they are in other parts of the world. I guess you could argue that India is a country that has upheld it's tradition and culture all the way through to the modern age; but there are also other countries such as Brunei and Morocco that still practice their traditions in daily life.