Oh my god. Inspirational talk to school kids. Whatever next?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (78 posts)
  1. Don W profile image84
    Don Wposted 14 years ago

A president is going to give a message to school children about working hard and achieving educational goals! The nerve.

How dare he try to inspire kids to stay in education and achieve their goals. What's next? Inspirational talks about making a positive contribution to society? Caring about your community? What a traitor. Why not change the Stars and Stripes to the hammer and sickle and be done with it.

If he was a patriot he'd be teaching kids how to fire an automatic weapon. Or how to invade a developing country to secure oil that the country shouldn't be so dependent on anyway. That's come in useful on more than one occasion in the past. These are the skills youngsters need.

Staying in education and achieving goals, engaging in politics or at least being aware of what elected officials are saying. Well that's just un-American. Ignorance and guns, that's all the kids need and anyone who is REALLY an American would agree.

So come on, don't let this abuse of power go without protest. Don't let kids be inspired or educated. Ignorance and guns all the way baby. God bless America!

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol brilliant lol sad but true statement

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

big_smile big_smile

3. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Deliberately missing the point for dramatic effect - AGAIN?

1. RooBee profile image82
      RooBeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

See the irony there?? I know you're smart, tk!

4. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Well it is the American way.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

..lets civilise the world ahem, we are the champions of the world hmm

5. egiv profile image60
    egivposted 14 years ago

Hell yeah! Let's burn something!!

lol
      This is gonna get wilder than the aftermath of a European futbol match!

6. blue dog profile image60
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

exactly!  not since reagan and papabush have we had world leaders with the audacity of actually believing they could communicate with school children.  of all things........

1. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What I want to know is, will he finish reading "My Pet Goat"?

Those poor kids never did get to hear how that all came out.

You are on a roll! lol Those kids will probably be damaged for life.

7. tksensei profile image60

So, are you guys actually in a circle right now?

8. tksensei profile image60

"What is the President trying to tell me?"
    "What is the President asking me to do?"
    "Why is it important that we listen to the President and other elected officials, like the mayor, senators, members of congress, or the governor? Why is what they say important?"
    "Write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the President."

1. egiv profile image60
      egivposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Haha. You waited an hour, saw nobody responded to your useless message, then wrote an even more provocative, useless message. Hahahaha this is a new low!

1. blue dog profile image60
        blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

each of his posts transcends his previous one in uselessness.

in the school where my significant other teaches, only one child - out of an enrollment of approximately 450 - is being withheld from listening to the president's speech.  of course, it is a school for young leaders.  the child - thanks to her parents -  will get to spend her time in the school office while her classmates are allowed  - thanks to their parents - the opportunity to make an informed decision.

2. Don W profile image84
      Don Wposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly tksensei. These people make decisions that affect everyone in the city, the state, the whole country. How dare the president tell children it's important to know what they are saying.

How would the country ever go to war if everyone's paying attention? It's outrageous. It could encourage kids to make informed decisions about things when they get older instead of going along with the herd. It could spell the end of ignorance as we know it. It must be stopped.

Let's hand out a free gun to any kids who cut class that day along with a quick lesson on why you should never pay attention to what the leaders of your country are saying or doing. That'll do them more good than teaching them to be informed about things. Kids in the good ol U.S of A don't need to be informed. All they need is an M16 and some ignorance baby. That's the American way. Yee haw!

1. profile image0
        Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your last avatar said your IQ was 90 . . .

2. tksensei profile image60
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fresh grass to graze on over thataway. Just follow the rest of the herd...

It's because SOME people are paying attention that the original 'lesson plan' was changed. It's because SOME people are paying attention that Van Jones got the boot. It's because SOME people are paying attention that Obama's original ambition to just flat-out take over all aspects of health care in this country are being 'adjusted' and will probably not be passed even at that.

SOME people ARE paying attention, sheep.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And SOME people don't take every single belief they have from Fox News.

1. tksensei profile image60

I should hope not.

2. blue dog profile image60

gee, silly of me to think that big pharma has anything to do with "health care in this country". 
          anybody got a bone?

Aren't you smoking one now, Cheech?

9. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Did you get this upset when Reagan gave his live speech to schoolchildren? Did you get this upset when George Bush spoke to schoolchildren?

He is the President of the United States. I am not American but I thought American's were brought up to have some respect for the office. And before you attack, I have disagreed with Bush but I have always had respect for the office of the President, as I do for the office of our Prime Minister although I disagree with almost everything he says and did not vote for him.

It says you should listen to what elected officials says...not that you have to agree with everything they say. And as far as I have heard, those items have been removed.

God, let kids make up their own minds. Like has been suggested, if you disagree with the president discuss it with your children why. Or are you afraid they might disagree with you?

And why were they removed?

Because a bunch of people (fueled by spin-artists) got caught up in semantics and bickered over the wording to the point that they were willing to pull their kids from school, so -once again- the administration is trying to make concessions to show that they are open to dialogue (if you can call the hysteria that) with the "other side." They are basically saying, "okay, if this freaks you guys out so much - even though you seem to have missed the point and fallen off a very slippery slope- we will re-word it so as not to alienate some Americans who might disagree."
        The nerve. Totally proves he was trying to brainwash Jr. Good thing you guys busted him!

1. profile image0
          Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good post, RooBee.

"Why is it important that we listen to the President and other elected officials, like the mayor, senators, members of congress, or the governor? Why is what they say important?"

Semantics? Or unbelievably inappropriate?

10. profile image0
    annvansposted 14 years ago

I dont think anyone would have been upset hadn't they said that the president was gonna have the students write a letter about what they can do for the president.  lmao

1. profile image0

Exactly. The speech as he gave it was excellent. It wasn't though, until a whole lot of people screamed their heads off about what kids could do for "the president" rather than their country.

2. RooBee profile image82

...and it was merely a suggestion for IF the teacher wanted to do some follow-up to make a whole lesson out of it. I don't think this guy could say anything that his detractors wouldn't completely stone him over. Then, when he backpedals or tries to compromise he gets painted as spineless; a waffler. Can't win with certain folks who already made their minds up!

1. Davinagirl3 profile image60
        Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

When I was in the 1st grade, we had an essay contest and the winner's essay went to the president.  I got a response letter from someone in Reagan's staff.  What's the big deal?

1. profile image0

The contest wasn't about asking you "What can I do for "the president"? That's the big deal.

It was more along the lines of "How a person can benefit the country"... not too far off.  I think the wording is for the benefit of the children.  When you're a kid, it seems important to offer "help" to the president.

1. profile image0

Precisely. It was "How a person can benefit the country".

2. RooBee profile image82

Reagan was a stuffy old white man. There, I said it. It's okay for them to do such things, but this guy....we better pull some propaganda out of our arses to justify our unprecedented assault on everything he even attempts to do...because if we don't it starts to look a bit like latent racism.
          As cj would say: BOOM!
          wink

1. profile image0
            A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

RooBee Racism?? Why is that the crutch used? As far as Reagan being stuffy he was probably the funniest Presidents we have ever had, funny in a HA HA way! It is not racist to disagree with Obama and any attempt to claim it is should be ignored and the claimant sent to the corner! I for one was not concerned about Obama addressing students, but I am concerned with most of his policies!

I agree, RooBee.  Racism is still in America.  And, while it is used as a "crutch" on some occasions, it is ignorant to believe that a lot of animosity is not fueled by it.

1. profile image0

It sure is still around! It just cost Van Jones his job and cost Obama the support of many a Police Union!

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

When he cut wages  and disabled unions,my hubbys family didnt hear any laughter.

I notice the sheep are all too eager to play the race card. I guess this is what the 'post racial' world looks like...

It was sarcasm, my friend. P.S. I like it when you call me names...

He likes to be called names, too.  Masochism is an addictive thing! wink

In that case, you are a poorly dressed Vermicious knid with atrocious taste in patio decor!

Oh, baby, more!

Ummm, let's see: I have terrible living room furniture, and the vent hood on my stove is green. Also, I have a mole on my neck plus my teeth are a little crooked. That should get you started if you need a prompt.

Let's see: Your souffles are flat and you choose inappropriate wine to accompany poultry!

11. fortunerep profile image67
    fortunerepposted 14 years ago

That's where those Jim Jones wanna bes start, don't drink the Kool-aid.  I am telling you so.

12. Uninvited Writer profile image79

How do you know...did you read the first draft?

I have been reading about so many people who have said when they were in school they were given assignments where they commented on what the president was doing and how they could help.

Reagan's speech, if you read it, included an open question and answer section in which he was asked about policies. God forbid if Obama was allowed to answer questions from children.

1. profile image0

-The Obama Administration

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/10582301/Pr … ber-8-2009

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I still don't see anything wrong with that. It was not saying "the president is always right and I must help him". It also didn't say they had to agree with the President or the other government members. Give kids some credit...

1. profile image0

No one should be exhorted to "follow a certain leader" and school kids, being very impressionable, would remember that. The original speech did not talk about America and it's values of freedom and thinking for yourself, but about "follow the leader". As everyone knows, our "leaders" are not always what we want.

13. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Ronald Reagan once called King Hussein of Jordan and started having a regular conversation with him about relations, and then abruptly said he had to go.  They thought that was pretty funny at the time.  A few months later Reagan's advisors informed King Hussein that they would be communicating with them from now on.  In her memoir Queen Noor postulates Reagan may have already been coming down with Alzheimer disease, and his advisors seemed to be advising him a bit more toward the end of his term in office.

1. profile image0

Sure glad you brought up the disease the man had, we can now blame people for things that afflict them!

1. SweetiePie profile image81
        SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was just sharing a side note.  Not sure why you are reading so much into it.  I am not even sure if this is completely the case, just an observation from reading the Queen Noor biography.

She is a very intelligent and intriguing person. I didn't get that you were trying to insult Mr. Reagan for his disease, especially since you mention that the idea of it already having started to set in was merely a theory (as evidenced in the quote, "Queen Noor postulates").
          It broadens the horizons to study situations from different perspectives. For instance "Bay of Pigs." That one is cut and dried, black and white, no? No. Nothing ever is. That's why this rash, harsh, over-the-top fear of Obama appears to come from a very closed-off mindset. (Not referring to the people who have rational concerns or disagreements, rather those giving in to mob mentality over outlandish accusations).

2. profile image0

Yes I am sure that was your point!

1. SweetiePie profile image81
            SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Texan, you are so odd, I just do not know what to say.

1. profile image0

You said it all right there!

14. profile image0
    annvansposted 14 years ago

If it was me worrying about it, and of course if I had a child, I would think like this...

First, I have been asked to write things in school that were kinda like what the president was asking, but it was my teacher who asked me to do it and the teacher was asking me to write it in order to make me learn how to write.  If a president asked me to write a paper about anything, I would wonder why the president was asking me to write a paper to begin with.  If a president asked me to write a paper on how I could help HIM/HER, I would sure be wondering why and what they would be doing that for.

I have written many papers about all kinds of things in school and it never bothered me since I knew the purpose was for learning how to write.  I just can't see a 'good' reason for a president to ask someone to write a letter to themselves first of all, and second...why would the president ask me to write one about how I can help him?  He is not going to read it and grade it right?  What would be the reason?  To make me wanna help him?

15. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Dear President Obama,
    I listened to your speech in my class today.
    The kid next to me got excused because her parents said it was bad for you to talk to kids in school. I think she had to write a letter about why it is bad for presidents to talk to kids. I'm not really sure. We all felt sorry for her.

But you asked us to write about how we could help you.

What I heard from your speech is that it's real important for us kids to stay in school. You got a lot from going to school and studying hardand so did your wife. You are trying to encourage more kids who might not want to stay in school to think about their future and maybe not drop out.

I guess I never really thought about it like that before. I don't like school all that much. Well, I like recess and gym.
    But after listening to your speech I see that it's important for me to take my education more seriously.

So how can I help you?
    Obviously I can't help you run the country! I can't help you get re-elected because I am only 10.
    But I CAN help you with your message about education. Here's how: by staying in school myself and maybe encouraging my friends who REALLY hate school that they should stay in school too.

Thank you for all the hard work you do for the United States.
    You can talk to my class again anytime.
    Please say hi to Sasha and Melia, too.
    Your friend,
    Billy Jones
    P.S. Can you ask my teacher to give me an "A" on my letter to you? Thanks!

How dare you post this leftist propaganda. This child's parents are obviously sheep/communists/nazis/socialists!

exactly!  by encouraging them to further their eduction by staying in school,  how and where will the future of our military go?  how will the next repulsican-led government recruit the unsuspecting young souls who will lead them in their quest of war time profits?  who will they get to sacrifice life and limb in the name of liberty (remember, if we fight them over there we won't have to fight them over here, "bring 'em on")?

1. profile image0

Smoke another one Duck, your disdain for our military doesn't quite show yet!

my disdain for the mic is only overshadowed by your futile attempt at or your inability to contribute to a meaningful discussion.

1. profile image0

You are the classic hippie, never grew up and constantly seeking something to whine about! Why don't you run on down to Killeen and spout your hatred and see how far that gets you!

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
            Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/Smoking/peace-and-love-033.gif

1. profile image0
              annvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who couldn't agree to this?

16. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

This issue has absolutely NOTHING to do with race or the race card. That's silly.

1. profile image0

I finally agree with you!

2. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Quick! Hide the wimmin folk! big_smile

I agree, so let's not play it.

17. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

So now we are talking about the movie Up In Smoke.  I did not know that was on the menu of activities tk.  I find that highly inappropriate and sinister big_smile.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)