jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

When Atheists go to court, do they have to swear on the bible?

1. Iamsam profile image80
    Iamsamposted 7 years ago

When Atheists go to court, do they have to swear on the bible?

2. Zanerus profile image58
    Zanerusposted 7 years ago

Not to my knowledge, I think its more an oath of peacefulness by the law.

3. Speechwriter profile image58
    Speechwriterposted 7 years ago

Here in the UK I am sure they would have to swear in on some format, although not necessarily the Bible. I would imagine people who don't wish to swear in may influence the feeling of the judge or jury to their trustworthyness.

Would the same atheiest insure their property against acts of God?

4. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

i'm not sure here in canada. when i went to court i just swore on a bible to make it easier , plus if your going in front of a jury and you claim to be an athiest, the believers in the jury will immediately take a dislike to you which will make a fair trial a bit trickier.

5. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 7 years ago

I think most places in the US either don't swear in on a bible or allow you the choice. If you don't want to swear on a bible or "swear" at all you can make an "affirmation" to tell the truth to the best of your knowledge. So no swearing, bible or God. Which is important not just for atheists but for other religions as well.

6. dablufox profile image56
    dablufoxposted 7 years ago

Most definitely, otherwise they risk committing perjury if they lie.

I think they are given a choice between the Bible and something else.

7. Zubair Ahmed profile image78
    Zubair Ahmedposted 7 years ago

No they just use what is called 'affirmation'...here in the UK.  Guess you can't single out anyone, as everyone lies these days, no truth left in society... the very little truth that you do find will be amongst the poorest in society so no one takes notice.

8. Torch Harrison profile image82
    Torch Harrisonposted 7 years ago

Not to my knowledge.  When it comes up, athiests are permitted to swear on the Constitution.  That's good enough for me!

9. vashal profile image66
    vashalposted 7 years ago

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but they at least used to ask that they swear on the Bible. They don't really ask about your religious beliefs before you go to court, so they have no way of knowing if someone is an atheist under normal circumstances. A few months ago I read some court transcripts where an atheist was asked to swear on the Bible and he refused. There was quite a bit of back and forth between him and the judge before they swore him in and continued with the case.