Do robots seem like a good idea in war?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)
  1. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

Do robots seem like a good idea in war?

the creation of self-learning robots as soldiers in definetly in the works, is this a good thing or will it backfire?

2. John B Badd profile image60
    John B Baddposted 13 years ago

Einstein once said "our technology has finally surpassed our humanity" (or something like that). 
    I think he was right.  I do not think self learning combat robots will be a good thing.  Watch Terminator and The Matrix if you want to know why.  I also do not want my country to defeated by another countries AI robots so I want us to develop them before other countries do.
    A way around Terminator and Matrix would be to not give our robots AI but instead to allow humans to control them from a remote location.  I think this is our best bet.

3. Stigma31 profile image60
    Stigma31posted 13 years ago

Aren't they already?...Any mechanized device run by a computer is a robot. Good idea, of course they are. Will they prevent human casualties? Not a chance. If a large scale war started with robots, humans would be fighting along side of them on both sides. The casualty rate would probably be much higher due to the accuracy of the new soldiers. On a small scale, think what a group of Robot Mercenaries could do? Now, that is a much scarier thought.

4. aguasilver profile image70
    aguasilverposted 13 years ago

If robots are a viable alternative to millions of 19 year old boys being killed or horrifically injured, yes, send them in and let them do the job, unfortunately they will only be fighting those nations who are too poor to have robot armies, but have lots of young men, which will be a shame, as our robots will be killing their 19 year old boys.... maybe a better idea would be to put both sides politicians into a sealed enclosure and let those who come out alive be declared the winners, then terminated.

We will always be able to get more politicians, 19 years old boys are more special.

I suspect there would be few wars if we did this.

5. poorconservative1 profile image59
    poorconservative1posted 13 years ago

I have to agree with Stigma31 on this one. Humans are just too aggressive to allow someone else or even something else to wage war for them. And lets face it, not being human, the robots would never get it right.

6. ThunderKeys profile image64
    ThunderKeysposted 13 years ago

I think directed energy technology will render solider robots redundant - it's all about the selective-bioeffects........

7. Doc Snow profile image89
    Doc Snowposted 13 years ago

As previous comments make clear, "good idea" is very general--it may be a good idea from the point of view of cost effectiveness or reducing military casualties, but a bad idea other points of view--misdirected fire, perhaps, muddy lines of responsibility for lethal actions, international equality (and hence, maybe stability?  Might 'non-robotized' nations, feeling unable to compete upon the battlefield, opt for other forms of conflict, like terrorism, or the development of weapons of mass destruction?)

That said, I think that AI is really, really, hard, and though there have been some remarkable breakthroughs--the cyber-Jeopardy champion is an amazing example of AI coping pretty well with natural language, which has been a really tough challenge--it's likely that robotic soldiers will be remotely operated for quite some time to com.

There the change has come very quickly; the US is said to deploy something like 7,000 UAVs (remotely piloted planes) these days.  And they are being rapidly up-armed, becoming more and more deadly fast.  If Qaddafi had had those this week, things might have been different; some of his fighter pilots, ordered to bomb Libyan oil fields controlled by the opposition, defected to Malta instead.

Had they been jockeying UAVs, he'd have shot them as soon as their disobedience became clear.

8. Ken Barton profile image61
    Ken Bartonposted 13 years ago

Robot's in war are already being used and to a degree offer many good advantages.  However, the only good thing about a war is its End.  If using robot's helps bring a war to an end faster I'd say it's a good thing.  "The Day the Earth Stood Still", was a film about a Robot race that had been developed to put a stop to man's insanity.  Unfortunately, in this world, it's the insane who control the robots; so, there is plenty of room to question their use one way or the other.

9. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 13 years ago

It might be a good idea simply because using robots to fight  wars would certainly fit into a nation's sanctimonious (not to mention corpulant) nature.

10. montecristo profile image76
    montecristoposted 13 years ago

Yes, because they are a lifesaver! There is no price on a human life. True, it may be expensive, but again, life is priceless.

11. preddyc profile image60
    preddycposted 13 years ago

Artificial intelligence in a combat setting is dangerous. The terminator movies are an example of the worst that could happen. Plus, i feel robots are to statistics and probability oriented. They would not wait to help a wounded soldier or an innocent civilian if they had not completed their primary objective of winning the battle.. We would lose the last remaining bit of humanity in war.

12. Onyx Fox35 profile image60
    Onyx Fox35posted 13 years ago

I don't like war but I'd rather have robots do the job.

besides they can go where humans can't go.....

close to the enemy!!!

13. profile image57
    Anis Bulbulposted 13 years ago

robot is heartless in war.So it should not use in war.

14. shogan profile image76
    shoganposted 13 years ago

I don't know, but how'd you like to be the one guy who has to carry around all the batteries?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)