jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)

Is it possible for the right and the left to have a civil conversation?

1. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Is it possible for the right and the left to have a civil conversation?

What I continually see, whether conservative or liberal, is the hatred between the two sides.  Is it not possible to question what one side believes and keep it civil?

2. profile image0
    mikeq107posted 6 years ago

That would be  heaven and there would be peace on earth..but I Guess all things are possible ..

Thanks for asking...have fun with this one!!

Mike :0)

3. cicilove123 profile image50
    cicilove123posted 6 years ago

right you is so rightttttttt i like it soo keep it up with yo good questions....

4. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 6 years ago

Personally, I believe it is possible, but only if both parties are actually interested in understanding the reasons why the other feels, believes, and speaks a certain way about things.  I can understand something but not agree with it.  The problem is that there are individuals on both sides who will claim that your disagreement is simply a sign of your lack of intelligence or ability to think rationally and logically.

No one wants to admit that two people can go through identical experiences and come out with entirely different conclusions about the cause and effect of said experience.  Of course, you see it most often here in the religion forums.  One person expresses a differing view from another, and immediately the other creates a completely fictional biography of the one who disagrees, calls it fact, and then attacks the beliefs that the person who disagrees hasn't even expressed.

It's possible only if both parties are interested in listening and learning - not just in being right.  That's my take on it.  I'm sure you'll get a good deal of feedback on this one! smile

5. junkseller profile image86
    junksellerposted 6 years ago

I don't know if it is so much about liberal v conservative, as it is faith-based v evidence-based, which I suppose can go both ways. But for example, consider someone who says "only God can destroy the world". There is no debate that can be had with that person about global warming.

6. profile image0
    rommergrotposted 6 years ago

There was a time when that actually happened, before gimme this and gimme that became the priority.  Now if parties disagree they label the other Hitler and most of them have no clue who Hitler was or what he did.

7. profile image53
    mfwalden004posted 6 years ago

I think not.  The reason being because it is not about making policies and laws that are best for all, but instead is about competition.

8. rocknrollcowboy profile image74
    rocknrollcowboyposted 6 years ago

Yes, if they are willing to meet in the middle, highly unlikely though!!

9. bigeddie06385 profile image59
    bigeddie06385posted 6 years ago

No, it is not possible.  The liberals think they are much smarter than the conservatives and that their opinions are the only opinions that matter.  I've tried to have converstions with these people, it was just a big waste of breath.

10. yhydehere profile image58
    yhydehereposted 6 years ago

I haven't heard one yet.............a civil conversation, that is.

11. Rusty C. Adore profile image96
    Rusty C. Adoreposted 6 years ago

That depends, is the rule still... whoever shouts loudest wins?

12. someonewhoknows profile image73
    someonewhoknowsposted 6 years ago
  13. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 6 years ago

After reading the replies. I would say NO!

But you and I both know it is possible. *grin*

14. marketingskeptic profile image71
    marketingskepticposted 6 years ago

I agree with JunkSeller. A civil conversation between conservatives and liberals is totally possible PROVIDED that it is not a debate that is faith-based vs. evidence-based. If both sides are willing to provide solid scientific evidence about some issue, then I'm sure we can all keep it civil.

After all, they manage to do it in Congress. Well, kinda tongue

working