jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Is calling someone a GRINGO offensive?

1. PaulStaley1 profile image76
    PaulStaley1posted 7 years ago

Is calling someone a GRINGO offensive?

I am wondering if calling someone a "gringo," is horribly offensive, or can it be a term of endearment?

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

I'm sure that it can be both.  Usually much is hidden in simple words.  The relationship between any two persons hold much meaning, and the inflection used and context reveal much to any who over hears.

I'm as "white" as they come, but I've had blacks call me the "n" word, and I assure you that it was used as a term of endearment.

3. junkseller profile image86
    junksellerposted 7 years ago

I don't think it is ever "horribly" offensive, but it can be mildly offensive. In general i would say that if you don't know the person they are not being polite by using it.

But, I have heard it used amongst people who are friendly with each other as a good-natured way of poking fun at them, but i don't think it would ever go so far as to be endearing.

4. Wendy S. Wilmoth profile image78
    Wendy S. Wilmothposted 7 years ago

Yes, it is a racial slur, the same as the "N" word or any number of anti-Hispanic slurs. Racism, unfortunately, works both ways.

5. profile image44
    Joe McCannposted 7 years ago

I have a Spanish friend whose nickname is the gringo. This is only used in private, as in public it can be offensive. It's a private joke.

It's offensive as calling someone a red neck, or a wet back. It might be funny among close friends. But it's not something that might be acceptable among strangers.

6. suncat profile image58
    suncatposted 7 years ago

Any word that has negative associations can be offensive, some are more than others.

Some people that are not easily offended will not be offended if use those words but many others will.

If you don't want to test a person's response to the words you suspect might offend somebody, don't use them.

There is plenty of words to utilize for many different situations. Use the ones that you can think of as a better choice.

7. LuisGabriel2 profile image60
    LuisGabriel2posted 7 years ago

When I went to live in venezuela. I had this friend that called me "gringo" and to be honest at first it got to me. But then it became something of a joke. It also depends the person that calls you that. If it is someone that am comfortable with then I dont take offensive, but if it's someone that I just met then I take it offensive.

8. Alma Cabase profile image79
    Alma Cabaseposted 7 years ago

It depends if he knows what Gringo means..Calling someone on our place will certainly mean nothing because no one knows what it means here. Well, this makes me an exception.

9. newtaxseason profile image56
    newtaxseasonposted 7 years ago

To me gringo isn't offensive at all, as said before more an indication of an ignorant American. Another slight slur is North American, with heavy emphasis on the North, which indicates that US citizens think they are the only Americans. ..........

working