jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why are some people so willing to give up their freedom?

1. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

Why are some people so willing to give up their freedom?

some are ok with laws that are personal choices, phone tapping , telling us we have to wear things like life jackets etc. why do some people want such laws?

2. Sethareal profile image78
    Setharealposted 6 years ago

Life is easier when you are told what to do and do not have to think for yourself. One of my favorite philosophers, Kierkegaard, used the metaphor of 'ants in the ant colony'.

3. spanishtoday profile image60
    spanishtodayposted 6 years ago

Well I can only guess it's because of the whole campaign behind fear generation and the bipartisan support for the bill. When the two parties agree on something, the media leaves it alone.

Then there's always the mentality of, 'Well, if you haven't done anything, there's nothing to fear.'

4. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 6 years ago

It's fear my friend. That is what gets people to give-up their rights and freedom: their fears are played upon by crooked politicians. That is why people need to educate themselves, to be able to see through the facade of things. Cheers!
    (Great questions as always.)

5. peterxdunn profile image59
    peterxdunnposted 6 years ago

I'm in total agreement with everything said so far. I would, though, like to point out that the 'freedoms' that you think you have: right now, are largely illusory. My latest hub deals with this very subject.

6. Karen Wodke profile image62
    Karen Wodkeposted 6 years ago

I cherish my freedom. Cherish it. I am not willing to give it up. In fact, I think it's outrageous that we have to have permits from the government on every little move we make.

working