jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Any country besides United States where individual pays for own health care?

1. BlissfulWriter profile image64
    BlissfulWriterposted 6 years ago

Any country besides United States where individual pays for own health care?

What countries have the format where the individual pays for own health care (either via insurance or employer)?  Seem like many countries have government sponsored health plans where the individual just get treated and never sees a doctor's bill.

2. mattdigiulio profile image75
    mattdigiulioposted 6 years ago

I believe The US is the only first-world country where healthcare is not universal. I know Canada and all the EU countries make it free for everyone.

Great question, Matt D

3. JT Walters profile image79
    JT Waltersposted 6 years ago

Yes, most people I know that live in Europe carry an additional insurance policy in the event they get ill.

4. KK Trainor profile image62
    KK Trainorposted 6 years ago

I don't know about other countries that actually have health care that people might want, many don't even have that. There is no country with medical care as good as ours, which is why people come from all over the world to get treated here.

I do know that health care in Europe is not free, it's paid for by much higher taxes than we pay here, so they pay the government and then the government decides how the money is spent. That's not free.

5. Pollyannalana profile image85
    Pollyannalanaposted 6 years ago

The outstanding point of our lack of healthcare is that our government will never come up with a plan, it has been used as a vote tool so long it gives me an earache; while millions or billions it would have to be of our money goes to provide 100% free for illegal immigrants! Illegal immigrants who are not screened and spreading disease which will make it even more important for Americans to have coverage. Has there ever been a dirtier government than ours? I don't think so. They think we are idiots and as a whole we must be to let them get by with it. Wasn't it today I saw a guy got put in jail to get healthcare? Pretty good idea if so.

6. breathe2travel profile image80
    breathe2travelposted 6 years ago

I think the majority of non-third world countries have some form of socialized medicine.  I consider medicaid/medicare a type of socialized medicine, though not compulsry.

From  Answers.Yahoo:
    The difference between the proposed US health care system and the current systems of Britain and France is:

Great Britain: National Health Service, or NHS. Gov't pays 100% of medical bills from the beginning. Doctors have set amounts they get paid for each service they provide.

France: Gov't reimburses the patient 70% of the price they paid. If you make below 6,600 euros a year, it's free. Doctors get paid immediately by the patient, instead of waiting on the gov't to pay them.
    The list would be shorter only to list those who do -- bc think of all the third world countries.

7. wilbury4 profile image71
    wilbury4posted 6 years ago

In the UK we don't get doctor's bills but we do pay for our healthcare through National Insurance contributions, which is a sort of insurance. We can also opt to take out other/extra private policies such as through BUPA, if we do take the BUPA option we still have to pay out NI contributions.

working