jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Why do people lie?

1. philirodje profile image60
    philirodjeposted 6 years ago

Why do people lie?

you may not be a chronic liar and may not even know how but sometimes we find ourselves in some awkward situation where we dont have any choice but tell  the listener what he wants to hear.

2. tonymead60 profile image93
    tonymead60posted 6 years ago

is it because they are insecure, and sometimes they want to say what they think their listeners want to hear.

3. profile image0
    Marie-AnneLeClercposted 6 years ago

People lie for all sorts of reasons... depending on the situation at hand; to hide the truth behind the mask...

4. Daniel J. Neumann profile image60
    Daniel J. Neumannposted 6 years ago

People lie because they feel like they need to. Sometimes this is justified. A classic example is the man who hid Jews under his floorboard in "Inglorious Bastards.” When the Nazi came looking for Jews, most people would agree it’s morally correct to lie in order to save life. Lying isn’t always a bad thing.

Conversely, there are liars like Casey Anthony. Some people only believe what they choose to believe and become so good at acting because they cannot distinguish the fabricated roles from reality. It’s unfortunate.

Thanks for the question,

5. Apostle Jack profile image59
    Apostle Jackposted 6 years ago

People lie because it is easer to say and do ,than telling and submitting to the truth.The truth hurts,so one would rather shy away from it than let it be first in their life.

6. profile image0
    Dandraposted 6 years ago

Little white lies hold the fabric of society together.

7. Borsia profile image42
    Borsiaposted 6 years ago

My own personal philosophy is that if I always tell the truth I never have to worry about what I said to whomever I said it.
    So I tend to be honest almost all the time. But there are exceptions. If someone asks me if I think their child is cute I don't say "No he is a hideous beast.". At the same time I might say "Compared to what?". When in doubt always answer a question with a question rather than a lie.

8. abrarr profile image60
    abrarrposted 6 years ago

Most of them lie just to get worldly benefits but they don't care that later it will come to light and no matter what happens this can never be negated

9. profile image0
    dixie28714posted 6 years ago

either to get what they want or hide something... Some people lie because they don't want to hurt  the other person.  In ALL cases, it will catch up to them & they will have to lie another lie to cover up the first... etc.