jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are the basic steps of repairing a flat tire on a bicycle?

1. Simone Smith profile image95
    Simone Smithposted 6 years ago

What are the basic steps of repairing a flat tire on a bicycle?

What tools do I need? What are the basic steps? Are these repairs permanent or temporary?

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

Simone - you shouldn't need any tools.  There's a tube inside the tire, and your tube is bad.

You can buy the tubes with the "green slime" inside of them for about a buck more than a regular tube, and the slime should seal any new holes that develop during cycling.

1.  you take the tire off, it should slip off around the sides

2.  Remove the tube, take your new tube, and lay it inside the tire (assuming your tire is still with the treaded side of life) - making certain that the Schraeder  valve is poking through the proper hole (you know, the little valve stem thingo that you air up the tire with?)

3. slide the tube n' tire combo back around the wheel making certain that the valve stem pokes through the inner portion of the wheel/rim as it should.

4. air up tube and tire to specifications.

5.  all this is slightly more complicated on the rear tire, as that . . . .can be lots more difficult depending on make and model.

. . . . .hopes to have helped.  The "green slime" tube advice was the only decent info that maybe you didn't know.

. . . .wish I could just do it for ya.

3. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 6 years ago

Cycle shops do this service too, it can be worthwhile finding out about it and how much it costs, especially if you have the more complicated situation of a rear tire.  I had a cycle shop do mine (after unsuccessfully trying to do it myself) and I was glad I did, it's not as expensive as you might think.  But hopefully you'll be able to do it yourself with Todd's helpful instructions (I'm not so great at mechanical stuff!)

4. JP993 profile image88
    JP993posted 6 years ago

You do need tools to change an inner tube, you don't need tools ( some metal spoons at most to stretch the tyre on and off ) to patch the inner tube.

The best thing to do is change the inner tube rather than put a patch on it. You can buy tyre weld which will inflate the tyre and seal the hole without having to remove anything. If its burst though the stuff is no good.

One thing that many people dont do, which is the most important part of repairing/changing your inner tube is, to run your fingers slowly on the inside of the tyre as this will show up the culprit. Many dont do this, put everything back together and get another puncture.

I wish I could change it for you too,