jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is America on the road to serfdom?

1. Jonesy0311 profile image62
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

Is America on the road to serfdom?

Look at your paycheck and recognize the percentage which goes directly to your Masters. Did ancient serfs ever pay 40% to their lords?

2. ibbarkingmad profile image81
    ibbarkingmadposted 6 years ago

Western society has a disease what must be fixed. This disease was present in Rome proceeding it's fall. A summary of the problem and a solution to it. read more

3. Quilligrapher profile image86
    Quilligrapherposted 6 years ago

Hi there, Jonesy.  I'm sorry but I don't get a paycheck anymore so I can't answer you question.  But I do have two related questions of my own: Did ancient serfs have a constitutional right to vote for which lord occupied the manor? Is it possible the blame for paycheck deductions is being misplaced?

4. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

Serfs had it far better than poor American citizens, who are not guaranteed any land, protection, or respite from long workdays. Did you know serfs only worked a few months out of the year for their lords? Imagine telling that to a corporate "serf" Walmart greeter making minimum wage and working multiple jobs. I would say American citizens are more like the tenant farmers of the collapsing Roman empire circa 400s AD. The government and landowners worked in collusion to tax the poor and exempt the rich in order to pay for a massive standing army and well-paid civil service.

I wrote a couple of similar hubs:

http://hubpages.com/hub/On-American-Regimes

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Bureaucracy … in-History

To Quilligrapher, I would say that Americans also have no choice on which ruler takes their paycheck. You basically get two choices and the choices are controlled by two political parties. A noble lord protected his people and gave them dozens of feasts every year. There is a lot of recent scholarly publication on this subject. I pay taxes; and in return, my family gets strip-searched at the airport. It is a mandatory system that the government takes some of my money and puts it in social security for me. Now they're calling this social security trust fund an "entitlement" and want to steal it to buy more weapons and aircraft.

working