jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should minors face life sentences for any crime? ie murder

1. danfresnourban profile image65
    danfresnourbanposted 6 years ago

Should minors face life sentences for any crime? ie murder

Or should there be a max term for minors, like 15 years?

2. profile image0
    Longhunterposted 6 years ago

There's too many variables to be factored in. It would depend on the intent, premeditation, etc. By 15, 16, or 17, they should certainly know better but, again, too many variables.

Perhaps this would be a good topic for you to write a hub about since you're an attorney. Be interesting to read your opinion.

Maybe you should take this into a forum for more give and take on the subject.

3. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 6 years ago

I personally think yes, but then I know for a fact I'm biased on this subject -- it's been a huge subject in my small town for the past year. Last year three teenagers broke into the house of a well-known person in the community (he'd been here almost 50 years) and shot him in both sides of his pelvis while he was still in bed. My husband was on call in the OR at the time, and tried to help piece him back together, but they couldn't pump blood back into him nearly as fast as he was losing it, and died about a half an hour later. The shooter is up for parole in nine years because he's a minor. Sadly, I know this isn't the only story like this where minors are concerned, and I don't think there should be a double standard on violent crime -- all that says is that you better do what you're going to do before you hit the age of majority so you don't spend as much time in prison. A very young child who accidentally hurts somebody is one thing, and that can fairly be ruled an accident, but willful action by someone who understands what they're doing is quite another.

4. dysfakto profile image56
    dysfaktoposted 6 years ago

http://blogcritics.org/scitech/article/ … for-legal/
    This article has an interesting point that's become a sort of hot topic...whether or not a person's brain development should play a role in their sentencing.  Is an undeveloped adolescent brain an excuse?

5. myinjuryattorney profile image55
    myinjuryattorneyposted 6 years ago

Even the law vary in every state or even in every country, it is still not applicable for the minors to face life sentences even they committed the crime. There are still lots of ways to sentence those young people aside from life sentences.

working