jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you believe that there are books which should be banned from the shelves of p

1. K. Burns Darling profile image81
    K. Burns Darlingposted 6 years ago

Do you believe that there are books which should be banned from the shelves of public libraries?

Saturday the 24th of September through October 1st is the American Library Association sponsored Banned Book Week, a week devoted to highlighting books and their authors, both in the United States and internationally which have been targeted for either banning or censorship.

2. mortimerjackson profile image57
    mortimerjacksonposted 6 years ago

Yes. Absolutely. I am a self-published author, and I would love it for a community to ban together and ban my books, speak out against them in public to their friends, and tell them never to read any of my books ever in their life. Knowing human nature, they will most likely be willing to listen.

3. Nefarious_Misery profile image67
    Nefarious_Miseryposted 6 years ago

No, I believe that any and all books should be accessable. It is not up to you, or a comittee to decide what I should or should not read.

4. Molly Kathleen profile image61
    Molly Kathleenposted 6 years ago

Sometimes the best way to become an open-minded, intelligent, compassionate, and overall well-rounded person is to read about things that aren't always..."rainbows & sunshine"....for this reason, this literature is also considered "inappropriate" etc, etc. Just because it makes you uncomfortable/nervous/excited etc. it should never be banned! All great literature is meant to invoke some type of emotion...so bring it ALL on!!!

5. Jonesy0311 profile image61
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

If a book can be determined to depict lude sexual acts or significant adult language, perhaps it should be located in an adult section of the library. There is no reason to ban any book to the public. This idea was the premise for Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451." The fact that we have a Banned Book Week terrifies the patriot in me. How long before we ban books that are subversive to the government or convey critical views of policy? I don't wish for my children to be raised among a mileu of propoganda and fairy tales.

6. stephaniedas profile image92
    stephaniedasposted 6 years ago

No way, banning books is stupid and a relic of the past- it really is the information age! Anyone can see anything they want on the internet!

And as for mortimermacjson's answer...I totally see why you'd say that! Banned books are usually the most popular, anyway. If I were an author, I'd love for my books to be banned smile. Just look at Harry Potter and The Da Vinci code.