jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Where is our "reliable" Media and what are they doing?

1. Petra Vlah profile image59
    Petra Vlahposted 6 years ago

Where is our "reliable" Media and what are they doing?

It is becoming evermore upsetting to see that the Occupy Wall Street movement is getting NO coverage from regular TV stations CBS, NBC, ABS in their “evening news” programs. The police brutality in Oakland and Atlanta was not even mentioned by the same media that showed us Egypt, Libya and the rest of the uprising in the world.
    What are they thinking? How much longer can they ignore a reality that will potentially change the world?

2. profile image0
    YSPposted 6 years ago

I understand your frustration with the media. If you look up experts on the Arab Spring you can get some pretty accurate information. Also I recommend you read "The Influencing Machine" by Brooke Gladstone. "Occupy Wall Street" definitely has some meaning, but the news tends not to like covering news that goes to one extreme. The truth is the Occupy Wall Street movement isn't equivalent to whats going on in the Middle East, but it definitely has some sociological implications and shows some of the problems in America society. The uprisings in the world are considered more exciting.

3. profile image0
    Infinite712posted 6 years ago

The powers that be fear change. They will censor anyone that is going against this dying system. But they cannot keep this up forever.

4. BobbiRant profile image61
    BobbiRantposted 6 years ago

The powers in governments across the globe fear those protesting.  They fear losing their iron grip they have had on society for so long now.  The media is owned by big corporations who wish to sweep it all under the rug.

5. icciev profile image59
    iccievposted 6 years ago

this is because media is not away of carrying the truth, the media is away for making its owner political and economical points of view. and I don't believe there is any reliable media in Arab countries or anywhere else.

6. wingedcentaur profile image84
    wingedcentaurposted 6 years ago

Our mainstream media is corporate, reflecting the corporate interests that sponsor them. Part of those corporate interests have someting to do with Wall Street. Maybe the media blackout is a function of the fact that the corporatist feel their very preferred way of life under threat. They want it to "blow over," and so the media they own do not give the Occupy movement the coverage you and I think it deserves.

Well, good thing we have the alternative media. A good radio, television, and Internet news program is DemocracyNow! with Amy Goodman and Juan Gonzales. You can find them on DemocracyNow.org.

7. lostdogrwd profile image61
    lostdogrwdposted 6 years ago

the U S media is  have sold out to the so called top one to two percent people to keep the U S citizen mind in a fog. the only reliable new that we in this country will ever get from now on is from one another by way of books and the internet, and small magazine and flyers. the so called top one or two percent don't know it but they about to be push aside for the good for the people of the United State.

8. thebigbagblog profile image59
    thebigbagblogposted 6 years ago

Besides, the emancipating of enslaved animals at Seaworld and the return of the McRib are farrrrrrr more important! (rolls eyes).. This news blackout is not an accident its intentional. After all, out of sight, out of mind....

9. onegoodwoman profile image75
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

Perhaps you are confusing " reliable" with "mainstream".

You already know where your are getting the news reports, and where you are not.   YOU, do not need my hand to lead you.  That is obvious.

10. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago

EXCUSE ME!?  Who ever told you that media is "Reliable" is a total "Liar". The only thing anyone can trust the media for is, well , Hmmmmm? I don't think they can be trusted for anything especially since all they do is to twist the facts to create a story that is mor fiction than truth. I mean look at their favorite excuse for everything: "The public has the right to know"  in fact, the public at large could care less about their twisted facts. Media and Journalism have become nothing more that what kind of ratings can we get and what sort of crap will help us get it.

As for the Occupy movement does not deserve any coverage it is a bunch of complainers with nothing better to do seeking some attention. Ignoring them is the best way to rid the streets of them.

11. Doc Snow profile image96
    Doc Snowposted 6 years ago

Well, regular media has reported on it here in Atlanta--I saw a report on CBS just last night.

And NPR has been covering it every for at least a couple of weeks now.

working