jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you think it helps a political candidate to be more moderate or more extreme

1. Alexander Brenner profile image83
    Alexander Brennerposted 6 years ago

Do you think it helps a political candidate to be more moderate or more extreme in America?

I have noticed a strong criticism of GOP frontrunner Mitt Romney for not being a "true conservative". Wouldn't this ultimately be a benefit for a candidate as they may sway more undecided or moderate voters?

2. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 6 years ago

I guess I'd like to know what a true conservative is. I suspect the term means different things to different people.

3. Alexander Brenner profile image83
    Alexander Brennerposted 6 years ago

@Sophia   That's not really the focus of the question, rather, I'm asking whether being black or white ultimately benefits or is being grey on issues better.

4. Credence2 profile image81
    Credence2posted 6 years ago

Yes, Romney's relatively moderate stance will help with independents. The 'true believers' are anxious that Romney's moderation will infact result in an administration not really different than that the current one. The moderates are saying that an extremely rightwing ideological candidate like Santorum, will just serve to galvanize the left and independents, insuring defeat for the GOP next fall.

5. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

No one ever won an election by being an extremist.

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I think while we enjoy and initially support a candidate who is different and has new and innovative ideas -when it comes to the voting booth we end up choosing someone more middle of the road.

I think a politician who presents themselves as a moderate appeals to more demographics than someone whose view is more extreme.

working