jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)

How do your choose your favourite political candidate?

1. Beata Stasak profile image82
    Beata Stasakposted 6 years ago

How do your choose your favourite political candidate?

Robert Redford said, in retrospection about his film 'Candidate': "We select people by cosmetics, not substance, I thought, maybe that point would get through and we would demand more of our candidates." Do you?

2. SonQuioey10 profile image80
    SonQuioey10posted 6 years ago

Based on their ability to persuade me that they will try to solve our many important issues or problems. If I can believe they can or will try, I vote for them.

3. mackyi profile image62
    mackyiposted 6 years ago

I choose my favorite political candidate based on honesty and character!

4. Marturion profile image59
    Marturionposted 6 years ago

You know, I'm going to go out and be honest here.  I wish I lived up to my own expectations, and really did the research into politicians backgrounds before voting, but I don't.  Many times I have voted for someone based on what I thought I knew, but discovered later that a lot of my information was pure smoke and mirrors.  These days, it's hard to really know what any politician is truly like.  We're saturated with political ads, mis-communication, and double talk from every viewpoint.  The only way to truly know who you're voting for is to really look at their career to-date.  What have they voted for, what initiatives have they been a part of.  Actions don't just speak louder than words... They speak more clearly, too.

5. teaches12345 profile image94
    teaches12345posted 6 years ago

I listen to their speeches, consider the poll rankings, talk with others who I believe to be informed, read about their profile and beliefs to decide who I should vote for in elections.

6. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 6 years ago

That's like asking how you choose your favorite infectious disease.

7. Amy Becherer profile image72
    Amy Bechererposted 6 years ago

Today it is very difficult to separate the smoke and mirrors of politics from truth.  But, the media lets few things left unsaid. I think the doggedness of the media today, eventually, manages to reveal realities that politicians would rather remain secret. I disagreed with my mother on John Edwards.  She believed his "down home" demeanor, while I couldn't get past his vanity, $400 haircuts and calculated, pseudo charm. The depth of his lies and web of deceit, once known, surprised even those who were never enamored by his self-centered personality. 

In the same way I become friends with anyone, I prefer one candidate over another by an inner feeling of their sincerity.  It is a personal sense of the individuals quality as a human being, their ability to express what is important to them, the way they treat their family, their sense of priorities and the way they connect to others that inspires my trust that the candidate will do the right thing.  When a candidate treats their family with love and respect, I feel they understand what is important to all of us and will honor the office they seek in the same manner.

8. tom hellert profile image61
    tom hellertposted 6 years ago

Easy, I look for the D next to their name ans pick someone else-if someone is endorsed conservative - *ding* I have my choice unless they are a democrat....thats too much like saying hot ice cube ,frozen firebut I do take a look at the candidates as well.

9. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

I don't choose a "favorite".  I choose a "least objectionable" , but I'm not above not choosing at all if they're all so objectionable I don't think it'll matter much who gets in.

10. Larry Fields profile image78
    Larry Fieldsposted 6 years ago

I agree with Marturion and teaches12345.

Here in the US, the primaries for choosing candidates of the Tweedledee and Tweedledum parties in the Fall elections make voting more complicated.

Congressional districts and districts in state legislatures are gerrymandered in such a way that most seats are safe for a given party, unless the incumbent makes some really egregious blunders. For these elections, the real action is in the primaries. Unfortunately, it's difficult to get meaningful information on the candidates in primaries. Since the incumbent has the advantage of name recognition, he is usually renominated at the end of his term. It's a foregone conclusion that the same party will continue to represent a typical district.

Presidential primaries are quite different. If you vote for your favorite candidate, and if he's a 'dark horse', you've just thrown your vote away. Suppose that you want to have a say in the outcomes of the primary election and of the general election, and that you have a strong preference for one party over the other, and that you're not just voting to 'send a message'. Then you vote for the candidate who has the best chance of winning in the general election. And that candidate may or may not be your first choice. So much for democracy.

And that's in addition to the cosmetics.

11. profile image59
    geordmcposted 6 years ago

I listen to what is said and try to smoke out the BS in all of it. The one with the least BS pouring out of his mouth is the one I choose. Since everyone is human I don't worry about background much. We all make mistakes.

12. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 6 years ago

I do not have a set formula. Sometimes I have to bite my lip and take the lesser of the two evils. Way too often we have candidates at opposite extremes when in fact we need someone nearer the middle and someone willing to work with the other sides.

I do check his political and business experience.
    I check his education
    I listen to the debates after the conventions and the primaries are over.
    I look at their platforms--are they realistic or just a list of promises that are impossible to fill.
    Then I throw in that unmeasurable and indiscernible "gut feeling."
    I go to the polls, flip the switch and pray that I have made the right choice.

13. alancaster149 profile image86
    alancaster149posted 6 years ago

When I get their CV's (if I don't know them from before) I read through them. When I do know them - like Ken Livingstone - I dismiss their loonier ideas and see what's left. If I think they're barking up the wrong tree I'll vote for their rival. I voted for Boris Johnson because I was fed us with Ken Livingstone's antics. When it comes to national elections I'll put my X for 'regime change' if I think the sitting party's 'gone overboard', like Labour under Gordon Brown. I tended to be more objective in Union elections - I've been a member of three trade unions, in 'the print' (national and regonal newspapers and magazine publishing) and in communications (postal workers), so I've 'processed' a lot of candidates.

14. H P Roychoudhury profile image48
    H P Roychoudhuryposted 6 years ago

A political candidate must think for the society and the country and not for himself. A person who is a man of sacrifice and patriotic in mind should be voted to power.